Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772627 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5330 on: May 21, 2008, 02:38:16 pm »
He was pretty cute in Casanova wasn't he.? I actually think that film is under rated.
He really has a gift for subtle comedy too.It wasn't just a costume romp,so much of it is underplayed beautifully by Heath.
The only two I have yet to see now are Candy and I am not sure I am ready for Heath as a drug addict.Oh!!! that is going to hurt.
The other one is The Patriot,but have been advised it has a sad ending so probably not ready for that either.

Heath as Dan in Candy is tough to watch but it is also good because you see all his little Heath mannerisms and that is fun. BBM, Casanova, and Candy were all made within the space of one year and they are interesting to see because Heath is so Heath in all three of them, even though he is playing very different characters (if that makes sense). I'm Not There came after an 18 month break and Heath displays a different type of maturity in that--which I suspect we'll see in TDK and Imaginarium, too.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5331 on: May 21, 2008, 02:44:38 pm »
I've known Heath as an actor since he was a teen in "10 things", i liked him in the film. Of course when i heard about him playing a gay cowboy in BBM i had to watch it. I was impressed by all actors, but fell in love with Jake whom i didn't know before BBM.
When Heath was cast to play the Joker i was sceptical at first, but i really like him in the trailers i've seen so far.
I'm still so sad he is gone, though i'm more of a Jake fan girl, i tought Heath was an interesting guy and i was really looking forward to watch his future performances. :(

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5332 on: May 21, 2008, 02:47:55 pm »
I'm Not There came after an 18 month break and Heath displays a different type of maturity in that--which I suspect we'll see in TDK and Imaginarium, too.
L

And then?  :(

Your post just did me in again :'(.

I actually hope they'll take their time with Parnassus, that it will be a good while till it comes out. As long as we haven't seen TDK and Parnassus, there's still something new of Heath, ya know?

Offline MilAn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5333 on: May 21, 2008, 02:52:00 pm »
I first discovered Jake in Donny Darko, which I liked enough to buy on DVD, even though I am more attracted to Heath's look.  Jake is a quality actor.

He is and he chooses his movies very wisely imo! :)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5334 on: May 21, 2008, 03:37:48 pm »
He was pretty cute in Casanova wasn't he.? I actually think that film is under rated.

I agree. Casanova has been growing on me - it's an endearing, charming, and beautifully shot film. I chuckle fondly and smile at it rather than roaring with laughter. I swoon for Heath in it, and for the fabulous scenes and locations, and for the chemistry between Lena Olin and ...uhm... can't remember his name, how embarrassing. It'll return to me.

But Sienna Miller and the guy who plays her brother were miscast and detract from the film IMO, - a real pity. No chemistry, no sparkle, no kick and fun from either of them.

Thank you for the reply to my question concerning "4 Feathers". I do suppose you're right and the film was actually intended to show that our guy's reason for pulling out of the army was simply being afraid - ie. his friends and fiancee were right in thinking him a coward at the outset. Of course, I OTOH think he was very courageous and intelligent and before his time in doing that, going against the grain, taking the scorn and spite of everyone he cared for rather than going off to be killed needlessly and stupidly in a country his army had no business being in anyway, dying for some obscure and incomprehesible concept of "fatherland, glory and honour" or whatever.  So evidently I got off on the wrong foot with that film and its premise from the outset, and it only got worse as the muddle intensified.

Though I'll agree, Heath looked stunning in that red uniform.  :P

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #5335 on: May 21, 2008, 03:43:17 pm »
I agree. Casanova has been growing on me - it's an endearing, charming, and beautifully shot film. I chuckle fondly and smile at it rather than roaring with laughter. I swoon for Heath in it, and for the fabulous scenes and locations, and for the chemistry between Lena Olin and ...uhm... can't remember his name, how embarrassing. It'll return to me.

But Sienna Miller and the guy who plays her brother were miscast and detract from the film IMO, - a real pity. No chemistry, no sparkle, no kick and fun from either of them.

Thank you for the reply to my question concerning "4 Feathers". I do suppose you're right and the film was actually intended to show that our guy's reason for pulling out of the army was simply being afraid - ie. his friends and fiancee were right in thinking him a coward at the outset. Of course, I OTOH think he was very courageous and intelligent and before his time in doing that, going against the grain, taking the scorn and spite of everyone he cared for rather than going off to be killed needlessly and stupidly in a country his army had no business being in anyway, dying for some obscure and incomprehesible concept of "fatherland, glory and honour" or whatever.  So evidently I got off on the wrong foot with that film and its premise from the outset, and it only got worse as the muddle intensified.

Though I'll agree, Heath looked stunning in that red uniform.  :P

Oliver Platt! Oh my, he was terrific wasn't he? He really stole every scene that he was in.
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5336 on: May 21, 2008, 03:47:23 pm »
*claps hand to forehead*

Thank you, Fabienne!  :)

Of course! And yes, he did. Steal every scene. (Unless Heath stole it first!!) Totally amazing.

BTW, I keep watching the Omid Djalili stand up comedy show on Norwegian TV and I like it a lot, - it took me some time to realize where I'd seen the guy before. In his show he keeps going on about how he only get little bit parts in films, like without dialogue and just as "random hot dog seller" and that kind of thing - he hasn't mentioned his stint as Lupo in Casanova yet! 

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5337 on: May 21, 2008, 04:35:51 pm »
Same here!  When I first heard about BBM, I didn't even know who Jake was; and my only association with Heath was the poster (sure, it's cute, smoldering even, but a little dumb, yes "bimboesque"), for AKT which I hadn't seen.  I also thought, "Oh, no."  Boy, was I wrong!

None of you (who worried about the blonde bimbo to portray Ennis) had seen him in Monster's Ball???
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline BelAir

« Reply #5338 on: May 21, 2008, 04:39:14 pm »
Heath as Dan in Candy is tough to watch but it is also good because you see all his little Heath mannerisms and that is fun. BBM, Casanova, and Candy were all made within the space of one year and they are interesting to see because Heath is so Heath in all three of them, even though he is playing very different characters (if that makes sense). I'm Not There came after an 18 month break and Heath displays a different type of maturity in that--which I suspect we'll see in TDK and Imaginarium, too.

L

great observation leslie.

optom - the 'sad' patriot ending is for Heath's character (and his associated girl character) - the overall movie ending isn't sad...  (cause you know, the americans won the war, lol)
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #5339 on: May 21, 2008, 07:36:46 pm »
None of you (who worried about the blonde bimbo to portray Ennis) had seen him in Monster's Ball???

No, I hadn't. Prior to BBM I had only seen Heath in AKT (in the movie theater) and really liked him in that, but didn't really have much of a sense of him. I had seen Jake in more stuff--City Slickers, The Day After Tomorrow (on a plane, argh) and that "kids who wanted to be rocket scientists in West Virginia" thing. I was more curious about Ang Lee as a director since I really liked Crouching Tiger. And Anne Hathaway....I knew her from the Princess Diaries movies.

Interestingly, about three days before I saw BBM, I had watched "The Baxter" on pay per view. Michelle Williams is one of the leads and is quite good and that is sort of a fun, quirky indie film. So, when I saw BBM I felt like she was the actress with whom I was most recently familiar.

I think everyone has heard this a million times but I'll repeat myself. I went to Boston to see BBM on 12/27/05 since it wasn't playing in Maine yet. It opened here a week later and I went with my daughter Hannah, but the theater was sold out. So, we ended up seeing Casanova since that was playing and tickets were available. Seeing Heath in that, a week after seeing BBM, then seeing BBM five more times in the theater, really cemented Heath and this talent for me.

At the time I was annoyed that BBM was sold out and we were "forced" to watch Casanova. But now I am profoundly grateful that things worked out the way they did. I probably would not have gone and seen Casanova by choice, but seeing Heath back-to-back in those two movies--and seeing both of them somewhat "unprepared" (although I had been lurking on the IMDb BBM boards prior to seeing BBM) was a really good thing. I am glad I have that in my memory to look back at and reflect on.

L

PS. I would suggest that those of you with Netflix or whatever try to see "The Baxter." It's a fun little movie. Michelle sings.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!