Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772743 times)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5770 on: July 10, 2008, 01:58:57 am »
Not very much of this is new, but so nice to read:

'Dark Knight' cast reflects on Heath Ledger

BY LESLIE MORGAN
July 9, 2008

On January 22, 2008 Heath Ledger was found dead. The actor had completed his work as the Joker in 'The Dark Knight and the media became a circus. How would Warner Brothers cope with the viral marketing campaign that involved the character of the Joker? Would post-production on the film be affected? And the biggest point of speculation: how had Ledger died? The world that day lost a tremendous talent, but the media sensationalized what was now considered to be a terrible accident and ultimately a terrible tragedy. Best known for his Oscar nominated role in 'Brokeback Mountain', one of Ledger's last performances would be in 'The Dark Knight'.

At the film's press junket, it became very clear how Ledger's fellow actors and colleagues viewed him. The media spun Ledger's death, but have not commented on the actor's life or how Ledger came across in person. When casting the role of the Joker, Christopher Nolan knew he had someone very special on his hands when he cast Ledger in the film.

"Heath was somebody I wanted to work with for years. What I knew I needed for the Joker was an actor of extraordinary talent, which was evident from his other work. His performance in Brokeback Mountain for example, was truly spectacular. An actor who was unafraid, who was completely prepared to take on an iconic role and make it his own. Heath told me he could do that. Before we had a script, I met with him and he and I saw it the same way. Heath really got it."

David Goyer and Jonathan Nolan who wrote the film felt that Ledger's performance went beyond what they had imagined. Goyer says, "He's astonishing. The thing that I am the most excited about with regards to that character, I feel at least for me it's the first time onscreen that he (the Joker) has really been frightening. That's what I've been telling people. You're really going to be frightened by him, which I think is a testament to Heath."

For Aaron Ekchart who plays Harvey Dent in the film, Ledger's performance helped him as an actor. Although, Eckhart says that Ledger was certainly not all doom and gloom as many people have imagined. In fact it was quite the opposite on set. Eckhart and Ledger shared a make-up trailer and Eckhart really enjoyed the experience. "It was a lot of fun because Heath brought in his IPod that had more songs than EMI and he just had all this stuff going. All the noises you make and getting into character. Heath would always be throwing back his hair. It was fun, it was a lot of fun in that make-up trailer, discovering our characters together."

Though Eckhart didn't spend a great deal of time with Ledger, he certainly enjoyed the time he did get to spend with him.

"The time I did spend with him, I was amazed by his talent. What he was doing with the Joker. In rehearsals, we went to rehearsals in London and Chris brought me in to work with Heath and he's doing his thing and I just thought ok, this kid is doing something special. I said to Chris, 'Heath's really going to be good in this,' and Chris said, 'Yeah!' So then I would hear reports about what Heath was doing and I would come back after having some time off and I would say, 'So Chris how'd it go,' and his eyes would light up and he'd say, 'Heath's been doing this and this and he's doing this,' and I was like OK! We all were watching Heath pretty closely and felt he was doing something pretty special. Then having seen it now on the screen I see it.

Eckhart and Ledger have one scene in particular together that is pretty powerful and had a big impact on Eckhart.

"The scene together in the hospital is the biggest scene. It was Heath's scene and he drove it. It was a great scene and I really got a lot of energy from him and he, throughout the day, would find his character and things to do.

"We would improvise and he knew his character so well, so thoroughly that he could go anywhere at anytime. That's when you know you're working with somebody special. Heath really helped me. It was an honor to work with him and I felt like that was why an actor is an actor to be with him. He was great off the set. He was happy and showed me pictures of his kid. He talked about his kid and liked listening to music. I just think that's important for you to know."

Gary Oldman who plays Commissioner Gordon also spoke highly of Ledger and shared similar stories as Eckhart when there was down time on the set. Oldman commented that Ledger often talked about Matilda, his daughter with actress Michelle Williams, showing him pictures and sharing fun anecdotes. Christian Bale who shared the most screen time with Ledger playing Batman against his Joker spoke about Ledger's level of commitment.

"He created this really iconic villain, portrayed the Joker in a way he's never been portrayed before, far creepier, far more anarchic, Clockwork Orange style Joker."

What is clearly apparent is that Ledger's fellow actors as well as his colleagues have incredibly fond memories of the actor. Contrary to what the tabloids and other media outlets have suggested, Ledger had a great rapport with everyone on set. As for Ledger's performance, it is one that will be touted for sometime and rightfully so as he has transformed a seemingly standard villain into something legendary.

http://www.comics2film.com/index.php?a=story&b=34489

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5771 on: July 10, 2008, 03:12:51 am »
This Friday (tomorrow), July 11th, 2008, at 9pm, Eastern and Pacific, on the E! network, the E! True Hollywood Story premieres its Heath Ledger episode.

http://www.eonline.com/on/shows/ths/episodes/index.jsp

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5772 on: July 10, 2008, 04:06:36 am »
I wonder how many times the word "hunh" or "huh" is in the movie.
 ??? ;D

Spooky Rabbit has once counted and listed them on imdb. She(?) counted twenty. I think there were some more found later on. The thread was called "Huh and Hmmm - The complete Ennis Del Mar catalogue".
Anyway, montferrat made the following comment to the list:
Scholars will be referring to this for years Spooky!

And here we are, more than two years later, referring to that list. :) How right montferrat was!
(I'll PM you the link.)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #5773 on: July 10, 2008, 04:09:42 am »
Good morning Heathens :)

Photobucket is down for maintenance at the moment, but that won't keep me from posting my daily Heath pic.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5774 on: July 10, 2008, 04:23:16 am »

Spooky Rabbit has once counted and listed them on imdb. She(?) counted twenty. I think there were some more found later on.
Anyway, montferrat made the following comment to the list:

And here we are, more than two years later, referring to that list. :) How right montferrat was!
(I'll PM you the link.)

Spooky Rabbit is a fella.  I loved that hie-larious guy.  He was the luckiest person in the world, who got his hands on a review copy of BBM before it even came out, and sat and counted the hunhs and hms, and notated their exact time in the film.  A few of us added to his list.  I miss him.

I miss montferrat too.

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5775 on: July 10, 2008, 12:17:12 pm »
I posted this yesterday, but it was so little and un-image-ful, that I decided to post it again, bigger and brighter, so no one who would want to see it would miss it.  I'm sure many of us have mixed feelings about this, but...

This Friday (tomorrow), July 11th, 2008, at 9pm, Eastern and Pacific, on the E! network,
the E! True Hollywood Story premieres its Heath Ledger episode. 

It will be repeated at least twice the following day.  You can look up the times at the link below.

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5776 on: July 10, 2008, 01:15:43 pm »
I posted this yesterday, but it was so little and un-image-ful, that I decided to post it again, bigger and brighter, so no one who would want to see it would miss it.  I'm sure many of us have mixed feelings about this, but...

This Friday (tomorrow), July 11th, 2008, at 9pm, Eastern and Pacific, on the E! network,
the E! True Hollywood Story premieres its Heath Ledger episode. 

It will be repeated at least twice the following day.  You can look up the times at the link below.

I had already noted the programme, actually my husband did bless him.  I do and yet don't want to watch it. I figure it will end up i me finally having to face up tothe events of Jan. I just hope they do not show the footage of him being brought out of the building.I only saw that once and it had me screaming hysterical.
Thanks for the timely reminder, my memory sucks these days.
I just hope we dont have a thunderstorm like the other night as we wlll lose Comcast !!!!

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5777 on: July 10, 2008, 01:36:19 pm »
does it make me a bad Brokie if I didn't know they used the f word 23 times in Brokeback Mountain?

???

:P

And in case anyone was wondering, Annie Proulx used the F word 21 times in the short story.

(I love BBM trivia.)  :)

Offline BelAir

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5778 on: July 10, 2008, 01:43:36 pm »
This Friday (tomorrow), July 11th, 2008, at 9pm, Eastern and Pacific, on the E! network, the E! True Hollywood Story premieres its Heath Ledger episode.

egh... someone with a stronger stomach than me will have to watch it first and report back.  I can talk about The Joker all day long, but I'm not sure I'm up or such a "real life" thing so soon... who knows how they will 'spin' him...
"— a thirst for life, for love, and for truth..."

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5779 on: July 10, 2008, 02:17:01 pm »
And in case anyone was wondering, Annie Proulx used the F word 21 times in the short story.

(I love BBM trivia.)  :)

Thanks Fran! 8)  I love the trivia too.  It's interesting that they increased the number for the film.
 :laugh:

And, I feel the same way as many of you about the E! special.  I think my curiosity is going to force me to watch.  But, I'm very ambivalent about it.  I most of all hope it's respectfully and tastefully done.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie