Author Topic: Heath Heath Heath  (Read 3772630 times)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Heath Heath
« Reply #5780 on: July 10, 2008, 02:25:00 pm »
Thanks Fran! 8)  I love the trivia too.  It's interesting that they increased the number for the film.
 :laugh:

Most likely because of the added scenes:  the "swingset fight" scene for one.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #5781 on: July 10, 2008, 04:00:02 pm »
And, I feel the same way as many of you about the E! special.  I think my curiosity is going to force me to watch.  But, I'm very ambivalent about it.  I most of all hope it's respectfully and tastefully done.

I'm happy I don't have to make this decision. I don't know if I could stay away from it, but probably would scream the the screen half the time. I've seen a bit of one E! Hollywood story once while switching channels late at night, and thought "What kind of cr*p is this?"

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #5782 on: July 10, 2008, 05:12:12 pm »

I'm happy I don't have to make this decision. I don't know if I could stay away from it, but probably would scream the the screen half the time. I've seen a bit of one E! Hollywood story once while switching channels late at night, and thought "What kind of cr*p is this?"

Also wasn't it  E, whatever branch, that was going to show the film of Heath and drugs, allegedly.I am so worried about what they might try to insinuate, to increase ratings.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #5783 on: July 10, 2008, 05:58:50 pm »
Also wasn't it  E, whatever branch, that was going to show the film of Heath and drugs, allegedly.I am so worried about what they might try to insinuate, to increase ratings.

I may be mistaken, but I think it was Entertainment Tonight that was tangled up in the scandal about the supposed film that suggested drug use.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Fran

« Reply #5784 on: July 10, 2008, 06:49:07 pm »

I may be mistaken, but I think it was Entertainment Tonight that was tangled up in the scandal about the supposed film that suggested drug use.

Amanda, your memory is good; it was Entertainment Tonight that was going to air that video showing purported drug use.

Offline Mikaela

• Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #5785 on: July 10, 2008, 07:36:18 pm »
Well what do you know.... 

I was going to totally stick to my guns that American reviewers do not react to (or at least do not comment specifically about) massive violence in films as opposed to the age limit (which was what I was saying previously, I did not and did not intend to comment on American audiences in general). At the time of my post yesterday I could have pointed to all available reviews for TDK, as well as US reviews for a number of other films that have created age-limit fuss among reviewers here back home in the mountains, and I could have stuck to those guns, very Joker-like. ;D

However, now as always, Murphy's law applies 100% in my life and therefore both reviews made available today do in fact comment on the film's age limit vs. level of violence.

Here's reviewer David Poland: "The movie works really well – however pitch black and undeniably inappropriate for any kid who isn’t over 12 or playing Grand Theft Auto with mom & dad’s blessing – in delivering The Joker’s mayhem in the first 100 minutes or so."

Full review here: http://www.mcnblogs.com/thehotbutton/2008/07/the_darkest_longest_knight.html

And here, even more troubling IMO, is Time Magazine's Richard Corliss : "The mayhem and torture wreaked here, by saint or scum, are so vivid and persistent that it's a wonder, and a puzzle, why The Dark Knight snagged a PG-13 rating."

Full review here:
http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1821365,00.html

Both of them give overall positive, very positive reviews, but I'm back to really wondering whether I'll be up to seeing this movie.  :-\  It's really a sad irony of fate when I so much want to see Heath's much-lauded last fully realized role, but at the same time am afraid it'll give me nightmares and haunt my memory for entirely the wrong reasons. I wish the darn film would just premiere already so I could get the opinion of discerning Brokies.

To end on a slightly lighter note, have you all seen Maggie Gyllenhaal's portrait on the cover of Tatler? Here's the link - and seriously, as one commenter says: "Jokerizing is going mainstream."  :o ;D

http://community.livejournal.com/ohnotheydidnt/25518472.html

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #5786 on: July 10, 2008, 10:29:05 pm »

I just hope they do not show the footage of him being brought out of the building.I only saw that once and it had me screaming hysterical.

I feel pretty certain they will show it, maybe several times, since the times I've seen this show, after three minutes of commercials, they recap and recap what they had just said before the commercial, and especially seem to repeat shocking footage.

egh... someone with a stronger stomach than me will have to watch it first and report back.  I can talk about The Joker all day long, but I'm not sure I'm up or such a "real life" thing so soon... who knows how they will 'spin' him...

Will do.  It will be interesting to see the tone they take.  "True Hollywood Story" seems to go for the shock value.  But since they're timing it right before the opening of TDK, maybe it will spin more positive? 

And, I feel the same way as many of you about the E! special.  I think my curiosity is going to force me to watch.  But, I'm very ambivalent about it.  I most of all hope it's respectfully and tastefully done.

It may turn out to be fairly respectful, but I bet it won't be very tastefully done.

Yup.  And yet, I'm going to TiVo ever' effin minute of it.   :-\

Offline carolina

• Jr. Ranch Hand
  • it could be like this. just like this. always.
« Reply #5787 on: July 11, 2008, 12:34:57 am »
Sorry if I'm sort of jumping in here... but I'm new to the site and Heath is my fave... so I was going to try to post one of my favorite pictures.  I'm all about the funny expressions.  I didn't look through allll the pages, so this one might be a repeat, but I hope you can enjoy it anyway.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #5788 on: July 11, 2008, 01:00:35 am »
That's a cute one, Carolina.  I like the unusual ones.

So . . . how was the E show, anybody?  I was working tonight (don't get that channel anyway).  Respectful?  Morbid?  Interesting?  Sensationalist?  What's the scoop, yall?   ;)

Offline Fran

« Reply #5789 on: July 11, 2008, 01:21:57 am »
That's a cute one, Carolina.  I like the unusual ones.

So . . . how was the E show, anybody?  I was working tonight (don't get that channel anyway).  Respectful?  Morbid?  Interesting?  Sensationalist?  What's the scoop, yall?   ;)

It's on tomorrow -- well, since it's after midnight now, that would make it tonight.