Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 374946 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
General Discussion and Recs
« on: July 23, 2007, 07:01:27 am »
Hi everyone!

Thanks to the enthusiastic response to the drabble section.  Since there have been many slowdowns and delays in the fandom with some stories, Leslie(MaineWriter) and I discussed briefly the idea of opening up a general thread for discussion and recommendations. Our plan and our policy is open, which means you do NOT need to get permission to open a new thread, or confine yourself to discussion in one thread. 

What do you think?  I would like to open discussion here by talking about BBM Fan fiction trends in general.  I have noticed that AU!AU stories are getting more and more "AU."  I have read a few of them myself and enjoyed some - my preference is of course for heavy plot and characterization.  What do you all like, and what have you enjoyed of late?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2007, 09:42:20 am by louise van hine »
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 01:42:57 pm »
Hi, Louise,

Yes, it does seem that the stories are getting more and more "AU."  I'm guessing this is partly because things tend to go in trends, and partly because writers are searching for a premise that hasn't been done before.   I'm pretty much open to anything that's well-written and grabs my attention. 

I'm intrigued by the premise of J&E as a couple of "regular joe's" in a modern-day setting.  Most notably, Mel and I have been having a lot of fun discussing "Camden Yards by debutante9 (Kumari) recently.  In this fic, J&E have been best friends for 15 years and their families are very close, the wives are also best friends.  When I first read this premise, I wasn't sure how the author was going to hande this - but she's done so brilliantly.  I don't know that I would describe it as particularly heavy on plot, but very heavy on character development and loaded with beautiful, subtle symbolism, with a lot of depth.

"Going Home" by 1_of_one (Helen) is exquisite.  Takes place in the present in Scotland, updates on "real time" holidays and has a beautiful blend of ancient Celtic mysticism.  One chapter, "Lands of the North" takes place in 5000 BC where we meet Enniz and Jahhg.

Got to run for now - more good fics to recommend. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 02:39:25 pm »
Well as far as AU/AU goes these are my favourites:

http://midwest-girl.livejournal.com/3784.html  (shades of grey)

http://whiskiegurl.livejournal.com/642.html#cutid1  (another kind of love)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1057163.html#cutid1 (the ties that bind)

And for AU:

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2925085/1/Lead_Me_to_Your_Door

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2759902/1/Human_Interest

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/2841251/1/Two_Crows_Joy

And Somebody New will always be a big favourite of mine as well. I still read the zine from time to time and the epilogue still brings me out in goosebumps.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 03:28:46 pm »
I read and enjoyed "Shades of Grey" as well as "Lead Me To Your Door" and had a great time spoofing the premise about reading a book with yourself as a character - it was a great (and unique) premise.

One of the things that remains amazing to me as that the author, marakeshsparrrow, was a mere tyke of 18 or 19 when she started the tale, and yet her characterization of the middle-aged Jack and Ennis were in my opinion, superb.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 05:53:59 am »
And here is another story worthy of a mention. It describes in gritty detail what life may have been like for Jack and Ennis if they had decided to have a life together after they came down from Brokeback Mountain.

http://lovehurts4ever.livejournal.com/9501.html#cutid1

This is the link to chapter one.

yb

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 06:33:36 am »
An interesting topic!  I would like to recommend the following AU/AU stories:

1)   Full Count by Kumari – this is a story about a New York Times (?) sports journalist and a baseball player.  There’re 3 chapters so far, but I’ve been waiting for updates for like forever. 

2)   Brokeback Redemption by victopet – the setting of the story is prison but don’t let this keep you away.  Vic is a very underrated writer perhaps due to the subject of the story.  Her writing is powerful, she has an eye for details and the emotional and psychological development of her characters are done exquisitely.

3)   In Plain Sight also by Victopet – this is a story about an Amish boy’s adventure into the English world to look for his brother and met the cop. 

4)   Informal Brotherhood by niims – this is a story where Ennis & Jack are held hostages and how they become acquainted.  There are a few chapters so far, so we’ll have to wait to see how the story unfolds but niims’ writing is very good.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:59:28 pm »
I have to admit that the subject of Brokeback Redemption kept me away, but it is a general bias I have about all prison stories.  I never saw "Cool Hand Luke" and it was only because it would have been rude to refuse that I ever set eyes on "The Green Mile."  Never read nor watched "Shawshank Redemption" because it just isn't my topic.  Has Victopet written anything that ISN'T about prisons that you might recommend for those who don't read prison stories?

PS WHOOPS... and you recommended it right below!  I might just take a peek.  If I don't start a riot by not updating "Chesterfield" that is.

yb

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2007, 01:54:54 am »
I had the same problem with the prison setting of BR at first.  I started reading the story from chapter 17 or about and read through the previous chapters roughly.  But gradually her writing and depiction of the characters just gripped my heart and I had to go back and read from chapter 1 with more care.  I had not read or watched ‘Shawshank Redemption” either, so I don’t have any pre-conception when I read BR.  The story is up to chapter 22 and waiting to be updated, but right now Vic’s focus is on the other story, In Plain Sight (IPS).  IPS is a loose crossover of Witness, I’ve not seen the movie either so I can’t compare.  But Vic has friend-locked her journal due to privacy issue, new readers will have to request to be friended.

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2007, 03:10:00 am »
hm... now that is frustrating...

What about finished stories?  It seems to be a trend in the fandom now - stories that have been under construction for many many months and unfinished.

Offline souxi

• sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2007, 07:25:01 am »
hm... now that is frustrating...

What about finished stories?  It seems to be a trend in the fandom now - stories that have been under construction for many many months and unfinished.

It is indeed Louise. I have posted my annoyance at this kind of thing on these boards before about unfinished stories. Sure we all have lives etc I know and there may be many many reason why an author can no longer update, but surely it,s common curtesy to just do what marakesh has done and post an announcement so that readers know. This is agreat shame with Jess. I really enjoyed the first chapter of Just the Two of Us which was a follow on from LMTYD.  :'(

http://marakeshsparrow.livejournal.com/