Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375621 times)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #70 on: December 05, 2008, 06:04:09 pm »
I'm pretty sure that is "Best Friends Forever" by Sienata. Hope that helps!  :)

Marie
oh it is. How could I forget. Thanks! ;D

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #71 on: December 12, 2008, 10:15:15 am »
ok, I got another fic that I´m looking for.

It´s canon up until they go their separate ways after the summer of 63. They both marry but meet again after only a few months or a year (I think) by accident during a wedding (they are both there with their wifes). Anyone remembers this story?

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #72 on: December 12, 2008, 02:27:07 pm »
ok, I got another fic that I´m looking for.

It´s canon up until they go their separate ways after the summer of 63. They both marry but meet again after only a few months or a year (I think) by accident during a wedding (they are both there with their wifes). Anyone remembers this story?

Buffy, that sounds like the wonderful "Right Where You Are."  I think Ennis was married to Alma, but Jack was only engaged (to someone other than Lureen) when they meet up again at the wedding.  Anyways, it's one of my favorites, in part b/c of how touchingly Ennis confronts his issues regarding Earl and Rich near the end of the story. 

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2008, 12:11:00 am »
Buffy, that sounds like the wonderful "Right Where You Are."  I think Ennis was married to Alma, but Jack was only engaged (to someone other than Lureen) when they meet up again at the wedding.  Anyways, it's one of my favorites, in part b/c of how touchingly Ennis confronts his issues regarding Earl and Rich near the end of the story. 

Marie
You´re right, Marie, that´s the one! I´ve spent the last two days re-reading it. It really is a very nice story!

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2009, 02:31:42 pm »
Has someone ever read a story that has Ennis having sex with someone other than Jack?

I´ve read several where Jack sleeps with other people, but never Ennis. I guess this is logical in regard to canon, but it would be...different (good or bad different I don´t know) to read about Ennis trying it out and interesting to read about how that would impact him.
I´ve read a story (I think it was Divergent Dreams) where Ennis makes out with a man he´s met in a bar, but he is clearly drunk and upset and breaks it off before it goes any further.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #75 on: January 05, 2009, 06:14:14 pm »
Has someone ever read a story that has Ennis having sex with someone other than Jack?

I´ve read several where Jack sleeps with other people, but never Ennis. I guess this is logical in regard to canon, but it would be...different (good or bad different I don´t know) to read about Ennis trying it out and interesting to read about how that would impact him.
I´ve read a story (I think it was Divergent Dreams) where Ennis makes out with a man he´s met in a bar, but he is clearly drunk and upset and breaks it off before it goes any further.
*update*
Well, at last I found a story that has Ennis sleeping with another man besides Jack (but it´s one of those hush hush stories, so I won´t mention the title). It was interesting to read, but very emotional for me. I don´t think I wanna read about that again. Once is enough. :(

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #76 on: January 05, 2009, 06:32:24 pm »
*update*
Well, at last I found a story that has Ennis sleeping with another man besides Jack (but it´s one of those hush hush stories, so I won´t mention the title). It was interesting to read, but very emotional for me. I don´t think I wanna read about that again. Once is enough. :(

A hush-hush story?  No such thing on this forum, Buffy.  We don't have any restrictions on what stories can be discussed here.

And in original answer to your question, there are a number of stories that feature Ennis having a relationship with another man, almost all of them are stories that go past the original ending, i.e. after Jack's death.

My series of stories now called Greenlea Tales
Marge_Innavera's story "A Gift of Exile"
Tom Forster's "Ennis, A Sequel"

those are three off the top of my head.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #77 on: January 05, 2009, 07:59:21 pm »

Sienata's "The Ranch Hand".

But the story's unfinished and likely to remain so. In fact, I think Sienna ran out of steam partly or completely from describing the fic's Ennis doing the deed with someone else than Jack.

A pity, because I liked the gritty, tough and unromantic tone and premise, and would have liked to see her take the story further to where its harsh and emotionally closed-off Ennis discovers there's not just the need to have casual sex now and then with other guys - but there's  actually becoming emotionally invested and falling in love with another man.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2009, 04:53:09 am »
A hush-hush story?  No such thing on this forum, Buffy.  We don't have any restrictions on what stories can be discussed here.

And in original answer to your question, there are a number of stories that feature Ennis having a relationship with another man, almost all of them are stories that go past the original ending, i.e. after Jack's death.

My series of stories now called Greenlea Tales
Marge_Innavera's story "A Gift of Exile"
Tom Forster's "Ennis, A Sequel"

those are three off the top of my head.
ok, good to know. I used to post on DC and they have a lot of rules about what fics to discuss or not. The fic I read was called "Green Eyes" and has Ennis sleeping with another man. There were no emotions involved though, only sex. I think a reason I didn´t like it was that it felt so out of character. If I´m gonna be able to read about Ennis in bed with someone other than Jack, I really need a long build-up before it happens.

I rarely read post-Jack stories, so I guess that´s why I haven´t encountered it before. Makes sense that it happens in stories that deals with Ennis after Jack´s death, though.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #79 on: January 06, 2009, 04:58:36 am »
Sienata's "The Ranch Hand".

But the story's unfinished and likely to remain so. In fact, I think Sienna ran out of steam partly or completely from describing the fic's Ennis doing the deed with someone else than Jack.

A pity, because I liked the gritty, tough and unromantic tone and premise, and would have liked to see her take the story further to where its harsh and emotionally closed-off Ennis discovers there's not just the need to have casual sex now and then with other guys - but there's  actually becoming emotionally invested and falling in love with another man.

Now that you mention it....I think I´ve actually have read that fic. He got the hots for Jack but goes off to meet other men to blow of the steam.
I didn´t remember that fic at all until now, thanks for pointing it out.