Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375634 times)

Offline samwise_fan1965

• Don't Say Much
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #100 on: February 24, 2009, 09:58:22 pm »
Hi all!
I just read a couple by Marc and would recommend both to everybody.
The first is his take on the SNIT and the second is about Ennis taking a second trip to Lightning Flat.
Like I said, they're both pretty good but SNIT is NC-17 so if it's not your cup of tea... well you know. The second trip story is PG-13 so it's pretty mild.
If someone else has posted on these two, I apologize for a double post, but time is short.
Anyway, happy reading!
-samwise

p.s. here's the link to the stories.
http://marc-r.livejournal.com/

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2009, 11:06:09 pm »
I have kind of a general question.
It seems that most BbM fanfic is found in the Live Journal format, either in communities or in individual LJs.  At least I'm not finding a whole lot of fic in archives outside of LJ.
While I understand that writers want to use caution and 'lock' their journals or specific stories, it is also frustrating for us readers, especially when you see a summary that catches your interest posted at a community or forum for all to see with a link to the story only to be denied access until the author deems you worthy of being 'friended.'  Even worse is when you've been following a great story and all of a sudden the links no longer work so you can't get the updates.

My question is:  What is a person to do when, after begging more than once to be friended, is still ignored, huh?
Is it just me who finds the whole 'friending' system rather cruel?
Don't writers WANT to share what they've written with readers?
And they wonder why people give up and leave the fandom.  This truly has made me very depressed...
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2009, 11:32:22 pm »
I can answer a couple of aspects of this NavyVet.  BTW Welcome back!!!

One of the chief reasons why LJ communities are where most of the BBM fanfic is found is because the forum communities had rules or restrictions about content.  Davecullen.com locked its "Slash" section for members only and at one time did permit poetry and short fics, but changed that policy, in large part due to concerns over copyright and the grey area that fanfic falls into.  At the same time, one of the largest archive sites, fanfiction.net, prohibited NC-17 level stories, and much of BBM fanfic is R or X - rated, explicit sexual content, which is not allowed on ff.

And unfortunately, the BBM fandom has over the past couple of years or so suffered from two major events: fandom war and cease and desists from Annie Proulx's lawyers.  Some - in fact, many - authors have friends-locked their Livejournals due to quarrels and flaming by anonymous readers.  I went for over a year of writing my fanfic before I got flame messages, and before I resorted to F-locking my journal I put it on blocking anonymous comments.  Now I have my personal journal with my latest work f-locked, and have my earlier stories on a public archive on Livejournal, and that is mainly to prevent people I don't know but who may be following me via the internet on my user name, from tracking down my personal LJ and LJ groups.  I would like to say that my misfortune in getting targeted in BBM fandom wars was a unique experience (at its height, there were five LJ sites devoted to unflattering discussion or outright flaming of my stories - I don't know of any other BBM fanfic author who had such a concentration of negative attention), however, it is not a unique experience, and many of the authors who locked their journals did so after having some sort of run-in or altercation with other members of the fandom.

I don't know whether this level of friction is typical of fandoms in general or not, because I don't have a lot of experience in other fandoms, but that is pretty much what has happened to this one, and a lot of authors have either not finished their work, deleted it, or locked it.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline NavyVet

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • Harm/Tony - My fav rare pair
« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2009, 10:46:54 am »
Thanks for answering, Louise!
In my experience with numerous fandoms, I've found that BbM has been the most volatile by far.  I had heard about the c&d problems and other attacks on writers and can totally appreciate the authors' need to protect themselves.
I think what is upsetting me is the not being able to get 'friended' for some unknown reason in order to continue following and enjoying a story that I had already invested much time in.  To me, it just seems mean, and it hurts to realize I'm never gonna be able to read the rest of a particular story.
Hope you are doing well!
Hugs,
NV
NavyVet
"Brokeback Mountain:  Where slash is canon!"

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2009, 10:59:53 am »
In my experience with numerous fandoms, I've found that BbM has been the most volatile by far.  I had heard about the c&d problems and other attacks on writers and can totally appreciate the authors' need to protect themselves.

The C&D problems have deprived us of some of our best fanfic works. However, IMO, the 'fanfic wars' have inflicted a lot more damage.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2009, 11:39:43 am »
At its height, there were five LJ sites devoted to unflattering discussion or outright flaming of my stories.

:o  Jesus H.!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »

I personally have never had an author not friend me whenever I asked them to do so.  I dont
really  understand the issues you are having with that.  I usually get an answer very quickly.  Not
even a day, sometimes less than an hour.  I have been reading since practically day one, however.
Maybe its the familiarity of my name that makes it easy for me, I dont really have an answer to that?
I would just write them again, to try and explain what the problems that you are having are.  Hopefully they will then become more familiar with your issues, and friend you. 
    I hope you can get this ironed out.  Sorry you are having this problem.  And by the bye,,, welcome back from me too.

Beautiful mind

Marge_Innavera

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2009, 01:59:56 pm »
:o  Jesus H.!

And I saw some of them -- Louise isn't exaggerating. For some of us, the "fanfic wars" were also our first experience with receiving hate mail. 

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2009, 02:16:44 pm »
I must say I've never encountered any type of negativity regarding fan fiction. I've never gotten any hate mail, have certainly never sent any and haven't seen people flaming fics in comments either.

and I hope it stays that way O0

When people talk about "hate mail" what exactly does that mean? Do people write the authors letting them know they don´t like their stories, or is it more personal?

karen1129

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »
And I saw some of them -- Louise isn't exaggerating. For some of us, the "fanfic wars" were also our first experience with receiving hate mail. 

No, Louise isn't exaggerating.

I really never understood the links that some people went to.
It seemed simple to me.  If you don't like a fic, don't read it. !

It was more personal then anything I believe.

What a sad waste of energy.