Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375860 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #140 on: April 12, 2009, 11:45:45 am »
After reading the last post on the Best Friends Fover thread, I started to wonder about what fic in the fandom is longest. Any thoughts?

I think the longest fics I´ve read are Del Mar Painting, Best Friends Forever and Union Pacific

BFF is definitely one of the longest I've read.  I'd also nominate Can't Stand It by nosunlight.  That one is now 133 chapters long (if you add the 30 recent "vignettes" to the original 103 chapters of the story). 

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #141 on: April 12, 2009, 11:58:10 am »
BFF is definitely one of the longest I've read.  I'd also nominate Can't Stand It by nosunlight.  That one is now 133 chapters long (if you add the 30 recent "vignettes" to the original 103 chapters of the story). 

133? Woho!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #142 on: April 12, 2009, 12:10:40 pm »
133? Woho!

:D :laugh:

Yep.  Not only are there a lot of chapters, but the chapters themselves are usually pretty long. 

I recommend this one if folks haven't read it yet.  I started reading it a long time ago, and it was fun (or still is fun) because, much like Sienata, nosunlight updates quite frequently.  She's still writing the "vignettes", which are really just more chapters of the main story.  So this one isn't technically finished (even though, it seems she intended the story to end at chapter 103).

Can't Stand It is another relationship/family/figuring-out-how-to-live-together type AU.

There's an old thread about this story here in the forum that hasn't seen much action for a long time.  I'll go bump it.

Another enormously long series is the "Sequence" series by fics_at_random.  It's hard to exactly say how many chapters that one has because of the way it's been organized and updated.  But, it's huge.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #143 on: April 25, 2009, 07:48:27 pm »
I´ve just finished re-reading Jacksharmonica´s "Policy of Truth" for the 7th or 8th time. It´s a story that I´ve always loved and without a doubt consider to be one of the best. It´s completely realistic, beatiful in a kind of unassuming kind of way and it´s flawless in its portrayals of Jack and Ennis. Love it, love it, love it. :-* :-*

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #144 on: April 25, 2009, 08:00:16 pm »
I´ve just finished re-reading Jacksharmonica´s "Policy of Truth" for the 7th or 8th time. It´s a story that I´ve always loved and without a doubt consider to be one of the best. It´s completely realistic, beatiful in a kind of unassuming kind of way and it´s flawless in its portrayals of Jack and Ennis. Love it, love it, love it. :-* :-*

Thanks for the recommendation!  I've never read that one.  I'll give it a look. :)

Offline Mikaela

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Unsaid... and now unsayable
« Reply #145 on: May 03, 2009, 01:09:27 pm »
Are anyone here participating in the Chocolate fic challenge at BrokebackSlash? I think it seems a fun challenge and if I understand it correctly all the fics will be anonymous, at least at first.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #146 on: May 03, 2009, 01:19:45 pm »
Are anyone here participating in the Chocolate fic challenge at BrokebackSlash? I think it seems a fun challenge and if I understand it correctly all the fics will be anonymous, at least at first.
I have started on a fic, but I don´t know yet if I´ll finish it :P

what about you?

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #147 on: May 03, 2009, 01:27:55 pm »
Perhaps...   :-X :laugh:

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #148 on: May 03, 2009, 01:50:29 pm »
Perhaps...   :-X :laugh:
I hope you win!

I think there is real chocolate on stake...

Offline Mikaela

« Reply #149 on: May 03, 2009, 04:04:49 pm »
Well, I hope you manage to finish your entry. Still some hours till deadline....... Good luck!  8)