Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375663 times)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Bork bork bork
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #260 on: October 15, 2010, 02:15:08 pm »
lol! that would be something!

I'm sure you would be suitably distracted, though!  ;) ;D

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #261 on: October 16, 2010, 12:47:03 pm »
I'm sure you would be suitably distracted, though!  ;) ;D
there isn´t a doubt in my mind!

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #262 on: October 19, 2010, 04:33:11 pm »
I´ll sent you a copy. It´s written by midget_size. I think you would like it

*patiently waits for her copy*

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #263 on: October 21, 2010, 11:23:57 am »
*patiently waits for her copy*

ooops

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #264 on: October 22, 2010, 12:15:02 pm »
I had an interesting conversation today with a friend about fan fiction. Something I´ve noticed since I started reading, is that the way I think of men has changed some. Or to be more specific, the words I think to describe them. I used to think of men being gorgeous, handsome, good-looking and hot. Now, I often find myself thinking "beautiful". I didn´t use to of men as "beautiful" before. My theory is that often in fan fiction (which is mostly written by women, in any case in the fandoms I´ve been involved in - Buffy and BBM) the men are the objects and the ones being looked at. Traditionally in literature, it´s the other way around; women who are looked at, women are the ones being objectified.
This might be one of the reasons why there seems to be many more women than men involved in fan fiction; it offers a different perspective and does not objectify women. This is of course not a new theory per se, it can be found in various analysis of fan fiction, but I hadn´t put in connection with my changed view of men before. I like it. It´s refreshing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:24:03 am by Ghost of the Swan »

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2010, 06:48:20 am »
I´m reading the first part of The del Mar Painting and oh my god, I swear it takes my breath away every time.
If Maggie isn´t a professional writer then I don´t who should be. She covers difficult topics and has a writing style entirely her own. When I read hear stories it is always with a sense of pleasure as well with a sense of loss and grief. For me she captures the essense of Brokeback perfectly.

There are some passages in The del Mar Paining that I find almost unbearable to read - these are chapters that deal our two main characters (modern day versions of Ennis and Jack living in California) traveling to Wyoming to meet Ennis´s uncle who is "our" Ennis, that is canon Ennis. It has been twenty years since Jack´s death and the 60 something old Ennis is exactly like we left him in the short storie - only greyer, older and dustier. This is modern day Ennis and Jack´s first meeting with canon-Ennis (Uncle) told from Jack´s perspective:

"I take a good look at mysterious uncle, and somethin’ ‘bout him scare the livin’ shit outta me–damn Ennis was right, I think.
Old. So old damn. And wore out like a bald tire: hair all thin, face all line like he been to hell and back ‘gain, lines fulla ash like from his trip to the devil. Jesus H. But he ain’t no Homer Simpson, no way–tall and skinny, and somethin’ bout him like haunted, just like Ennis say. ‘Cept he more like a ghost than haunted by one.
Uncle don’t say nothin’ for a second; then I hear his voice say, worn from a thousand years and ten thousand cigarettes, “Mm, hi.”
Ennis kick me under the table, and I stand up.
“Now this here’s Jack,” Ennis say to the man. “Friend a mine.”
“Howdy Sir,” I smile at him. “Good to meetcha at last; heard so much ‘bout you.”
He turn to me then, squint at me like I don’t know what; but when he look inta my eyes and I look inta his oh shit eyes just like Ennis’s just like–uncle face turn white, and his mouth fall open while his eyes as they stare inta mine darken inta a black so black feel like death.
“Uh,” he say, kinda swayin’ a little; then he grab hold of a chair, set down heavily inta it like he gonna faint or somethin’, his eyes on me the whole time like pleadin’ with me to–what?
“You all right Daddy?” Junior say, puttin’ a hand on his shoulder; she look up to me then, expression on her face like she know after all what wrong with him.
“Mm,” is the reply.
Ennis try to make conversation with the uncle ‘bout Ennis’s daddy KE and such, but uncle talk even less than my Ennis do."

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2010, 05:55:12 pm »
Yeah, that paragraph is very telling and moving.

I wish she'd elaborated a little more about her main characters and 'our' Ennis.

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2010, 01:11:59 am »
Yeah, that paragraph is very telling and moving.

I wish she'd elaborated a little more about her main characters and 'our' Ennis.
when we get to see "our" Ennis for the last time in this story, I always cry. Damn.
I wish I was somehow able to let Maggie know much I love her stories. Don´t know how many times I´ve reread Lake Geneva or Portrait of a Farmer. To write like she does is not an easy feat.

btw. I´ve finally gotten around to send you the story I promised! 8)

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2010, 08:18:04 am »
i noticed. thanks!   :-*

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #269 on: January 19, 2011, 03:10:35 pm »
I´ve been reading quite a lot lately. I just finished a story I hadn´t read before; Nobody´s Angel by Maiden o fthe sea. Kinda of a "Brokeback" meets "Rebel Without a Cause" meets "Outsiders" meets "Romeo and Juliet" story with Ennis as a "greaser" and Jack as a "sock" set in the 1950´s.
It was really good and I´ve done much else besides working and reading for the past few days.

Am about to start on another story by Maiden of the sea now called "Able Fires". Let´s hope it´s equally good!