Author Topic: General Discussion and Recs  (Read 375848 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: General Discussion and Recs
« Reply #270 on: January 19, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »
I´ve been reading quite a lot lately. I just finished a story I hadn´t read before; Nobody´s Angel by Maiden o fthe sea. Kinda of a "Brokeback" meets "Rebel Without a Cause" meets "Outsiders" meets "Romeo and Juliet" story with Ennis as a "greaser" and Jack as a "sock" set in the 1950´s.
It was really good and I´ve done much else besides working and reading for the past few days.

Am about to start on another story by Maiden of the sea now called "Able Fires". Let´s hope it´s equally good!

I really liked Nobody's Angel. Read it way back, and I didn't like AU/AU much, it seemed almost a sacrilege. I only started it because god and his brother raved about it and wanted to give it a try at least. I was hooked soon enough. Nice story. :)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • We are all the same. Women, men, gay, straight
« Reply #271 on: January 19, 2011, 04:24:21 pm »
I really liked Nobody's Angel. Read it way back, and I didn't like AU/AU much, it seemed almost a sacrilege. I only started it because god and his brother raved about it and wanted to give it a try at least. I was hooked soon enough. Nice story. :)

god and his brother??  :o

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #272 on: January 19, 2011, 04:31:09 pm »
Wow Monika!!

I haven't seen your new sig line before. I love it!!!

It evokes very fond memories!

(and I gotta say, it must've been a real master photographer who took that picture!!  ;D)

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #273 on: January 19, 2011, 04:39:58 pm »
god and his brother??  :o

Ha ha ha. I mixed up English and German expressions. In English it's all the world and his brother - in German it's "Gott und die Welt" which would literally be god and all the world. So I took the god part from German and the brother part from English! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good catch!

Also love your sig line (of course!)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #274 on: January 19, 2011, 04:41:06 pm »
Wow Monika!!

I haven't seen your new sig line before. I love it!!!

It evokes very fond memories!

(and I gotta say, it must've been a real master photographer who took that picture!!  ;D)
I just uploaded about fifteen minutes ago, so I forgive you  ;D

Yes, that was a real good weekend, wasn´t it? I visited Stockholm about two weeks ago and missed your company as I strolled through Gamla Stan :-*

Master photographer indeed. Was some hot shot photographer who had traveled half across the country! 8)

Offline Monika

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #275 on: January 19, 2011, 04:43:21 pm »

Ha ha ha. I mixed up English and German expressions. In English it's all the world and his brother - in German it's "Gott und die Welt" which would literally be god and all the world. So I took the god part from German and the brother part from English! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Good catch!

:laugh:

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #276 on: January 19, 2011, 04:44:34 pm »

Good catch!

LOL!

I saw it too, but I was too polite to say anything....   ::) ::)

In Swedish it's "the devil and his grandmother" btw.  8)

Mostly in a negative context, mind you.  

So it wouldn't be used in your sentence anyway.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #277 on: January 19, 2011, 04:50:20 pm »
I just uploaded about fifteen minutes ago, so I forgive you  ;D

Yes, that was a real good weekend, wasn´t it? I visited Stockholm about two weeks ago and missed your company as I strolled through Gamla Stan :-*

Master photographer indeed. Was some hot shot photographer who had traveled half across the country! 8)

Yeah, that was a wonderful weekend.  I can't imagine going to Stockholm without meeting up with the two of you.  :-*

You know that really devoted photographers will do just about anything when it comes to travelling, just to get the perfect shot!!  ;D

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
« Reply #278 on: January 19, 2011, 04:57:24 pm »
I think in America the only expression we have like that is "Everybody and his brother in law."  No deities involved.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #279 on: January 19, 2011, 07:36:57 pm »
I think in America the only expression we have like that is "Everybody and his brother in law."  No deities involved.

Where I come from it's "Everybody and his uncle."
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.