Author Topic: Dream Interpretation  (Read 941597 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Dream Interpretation
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2014, 09:40:24 am »
Boyoboyoboy, did I ever have the dream last night! It was the longest, sustained dream I've had in a very long time! I can remember a lot of it, too, though perhaps in disjointed pieces.

I was visiting the college where I earned my B.A, and where I haven't been back in, oh, 30 years. I was supposed to visit with some administrator about something--I don't know or don't remember what--but I was dressed very casually in a t-shirt and shorts. He was very busy, and so people whose business was more important than mine kept getting sent into his office ahead of me. While I was waiting, I had a short conversation with a young woman whom I recognized from my days in the SCA medieval reenactment organization; our talk concerned me participating in some sort of demonstration that was to take place on campus.

Finally I got into the administrator's office, and we chatted a bit about how much construction had taken place on the campus in the three decades since I graduated, so that I hardly recognized the place. Meanwhile, the weather was turning bad very quickly, and in the distance I could see a tornado forming, one of those horrible, mile-wide ones that you occasionally see news film of that are so destructive. You're not supposed to try to outrun one of those things, yet that's exactly what we tried to do. The administrator and I, and a number of other people, squeezed into a very small automobile and drove away from campus. The administrator was driving; somehow his clothing had changed from a dark gray suit to a polo shirt and Dockers.

We did outrun the storm, and finally we stopped. Other tornadoes were still forming in the distance. Looking to the east--I don't know why I know it was the east, it just was--I saw one pass behind an old farmhouse, and the house somehow immediately burst into flames! At about that time, I also used my cell phone to call my mother (who has been dead since 1995) to tell her that I was all right; the connection was bad but I did speak to her. Then we all got back into the car to drive back to campus. On the way, the driver missed a sharp curve in the road and drove through a fence and into the farmyard of an Amish farm. Some Amish chidren came and spoke to us; I rolled down the car window and spoke to a little boy, and I remember thinking that someone in the family must have "married out" of the Amish faith, because this little boy looked Hispanic in features and skin tone. The children told us that we would be in trouble for damaging the fence, but then a young woman came out of the farmhouse and told us that everything would be all right.

I remember that we then continued our drive back to campus. When we arrived, I could still see storms in the distance, but that's all I can now remember.

What a night!
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 08:53:59 pm by Jeff Wrangler »
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2014, 08:04:49 pm »
Wow!  Crazy dream there!   Nice detail-remembering.  Sometimes I can remember mine, other times, not so much.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2014, 09:20:13 pm »
What an interesting dream...thank you for sharing it with us! I have had dreams that were a bit similar that marked turning points for me. Let us know if you want us to take a hack at transcribing the dream for you.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2014, 10:35:13 pm »
One general thing I would like to say is that when we enter the third chapter of our lives (chapter one being childhood and young adulthood, chapter two being adulthood, and chapter three being later adulthood) it is entirely good to revisit the dreams and goals of our youth and see what is still valid, what should be tossed away, and what should be revisited.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2014, 09:10:09 am »
What an interesting dream...thank you for sharing it with us! I have had dreams that were a bit similar that marked turning points for me. Let us know if you want us to take a hack at transcribing the dream for you.

Actually, I can speculate myself as to the origin of some of the elements of the dream.

First of all, since childhood whenever I have been partcularly stressed or anxious, I have dreamed of tornadoes (I was frightened by the "twister" scenes in The Wizrd of Oz, and by news of some of the severe tornado outbreaks that occurred when I was a child). Right now I am very stressed out by all the things that are happening or are supposed to happen in my life this year.

I can't be so sure about the visit to my alma mater; however, one of my colleagues here at work has a daughter graduating from high school this weekend, so perhaps that has something to do with provoking that part of the dream.

I think I know exactly where the Amish came from. That evening I was channel surfing and came across a TV show about people who had left the Amish faith and then returned to their communities. As a matter of fact, one young fellow in the program said he had grown up Amish in Holmes County, Ohio, where our friend OCD used to live!

The SCA connection probably arises from that wedding I've been pissing and moaning about on my blog, since that's how I know both grooms--though why that particular young lady, whom I recognized but really am not acquainted with, should show up in the dream, I have no idea.  :-\

I'm similarly clueless about cell phoning my late mother. The idea that the connection was bad and I could barely hear her is interesting. :-\

The notion of "storms in the distance" intrigues me, too. Any thoughts about that?
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2014, 09:34:00 am »
... in the distance I could see a tornado forming, one of those horrible, mile-wide ones that you occasionally see news film of that are so destructive. You're not supposed to try to outrun one of those things, yet that's exactly what we tried to do. The administrator and I, and a number of other people, squeezed into a very small automobile and drove away from campus. The administrator was driving; somehow his clothing had changed from a dark gray suit to a polo shirt and Dockers.

Putting on my amateur pop psychologist hat (a beanie, I suppose) I would like to postulate that you are reliving in your dream your journey through life thus far from your college graduation. You ventured out into the scary world, surrounded by strangers and the occasional authoritarian figure. When you started out, bosses and such used to wear suits, but times have changed and they now wear polo shirts and Dockers.

We did outrun the storm, and finally we stopped. Other tornadoes were still forming in the distance. Looking to the east--I don't know why I know it was the east, it just was--I saw one pass behind an old farmhouse, and the house somehow immediately burst into flames!

The east represents the future. Looking to the future, you see the old agrarian lifestyle going literally up in flames, or at least you fear that is what will happen.

At about that time, I also used my cell phone to call my mother (who has been dead since 1995) to tell her that I was all right; the connection was bad but I did speak to her. Then we all got back into the car to drive back to campus. On the way, the driver missed a sharp curve in the road and drove through a fence and into the farmyard of an Amish farm. Some Amish children came and spoke to us; I rolled down the car window and spoke to a little boy, and I remember thinking that someone in the family must have "married out" of the Amish faith, because this little boy looked Hispanic in features and skin tone. The children told us that we would be in trouble for damaging the fence, but then a young woman came out of the farmhouse and told us that everything would be all right.

Maybe your mother and the other two women in your dream are roughly the same, or serve the same purpose. Watching over you, guiding you, reassuring you in your scary journey. I'm curious as to what you said to the Amish boy?

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2014, 09:44:32 am »
I'm curious as to what you said to the Amish boy?

I don't remember.  :(

Funny that "east" should represent the future. I should have thought that "west" would represent the future.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2014, 10:11:02 am »
What do you think you might have said to him? Hello, sonny? Oops, I'm sorry? Can you tell me the way to San Jose?  ;)

I can see your point of view about east/west, but east is where the sun comes up and where tomorrow is already happening.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2014, 11:50:15 am »
What do you think you might have said to him? Hello, sonny? Oops, I'm sorry? Can you tell me the way to San Jose?  ;)

I just don't know. Watching him is like watching TV with the sound off, and I can't read lips.  :(

I can see your point of view about east/west, but east is where the sun comes up and where tomorrow is already happening.

That's an interesting take on it.  :)

"After all, tomorrow is another day!"  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2014, 11:56:23 pm »

That's an interesting take on it.  :)

"After all, tomorrow is another day!"  ;D

I took it the same way,  sun rises in the east (new beginning) and sets in the west (an ending)

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!