Author Topic: Fun discussions are fine . . .  (Read 17210 times)

TJ

Fun discussions are fine . . .
« on: May 08, 2006, 01:28:48 am »
Fun discussions are fine  . . . but, I had hoped that more people would be willing to discuss the movie and the original short story and that's why I joined the BetterMost Forums board.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=3.0

vkm91941

Re: Fun discussions are fine . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2006, 01:42:13 am »
Fun discussions are fine  . . . but, I had hoped that more people would be willing to discuss the movie and the original short story and that's why I joined the BetterMost Forums board.

http://bettermost.net/forum/index.php?board=3.0

Most of the serious discussions take place on:

The Movie Resources, and  The Brokeback Mountain Open Forum...there are some serious discussions on Chez Tremblay but recently not as much if you go back a page or two you will find more to your liking.  But start new threads on the Open Forum just be patient, folks will respond.  You might also want to try the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at DaveCullin.com enormous site with a LARGE amount of posts.

TJ

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2006, 01:50:33 am »
Most of the serious discussions take place on:

The Movie Resources, and  The Brokeback Mountain Open Forum...there are some serious discussions on Chez Tremblay but recently not as much if you go back a page or two you will find more to your liking.  But start new threads on the Open Forum just be patient, folks will respond.  You might also want to try the Ultimate Brokeback Forum at DaveCullin.com enormous site with a LARGE amount of posts.

The moderators and Dave Cullen himself appear to be uppity snobs at the so-called "Ultimate Brokeback Forum." They don't like me there at all. One of the moderators from Norway was a know-it-all but, she had no idea as to what I was talking about in the first place since her first language was not Standard American English. But, still she had to correct me by PM.

Even the "avatar" pic Cullen uses to ID himself looks like he has his nose in the air. They certainly did no like members admitting they were Christians over there. Cullen included.

Offline Ray

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • Ray Nasty!
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 06:45:31 am »
I embrace true Christians because they are all accepting and don't judge. They accept the world as it is and they don't incite hatred, fear, or bigotry.  The shame is there are so few around.
~A good general knows when to retreat~

Offline isabelle

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • And French-kissing, too!
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2006, 08:36:58 am »
she had no idea as to what I was talking about in the first place since her first language was not Standard American English.

Woaw woaw woaw (I think that was not Standard American English either, was it?), will I just have to shut up because my English is more sort of... British? Well, Scottish actually... with a bit of funny-sounding phrases I'm sure, me being a foreigner  :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:54:33 am by isabelle »
" - I'm vegan now."
"-Vegan? I thought you were still Church of England"

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 10:17:28 am »
I work for an international company and I have to know how to converse in American English, the King's English, Australian English, and Canadian English (South Africans use the King's English). There are a lot of differences. The U.S. is certainly not the authority in the English language. There are even differences between Western and Eastern Canada! One of the things I really enjoy is conversing on this board with people all over the world. It really helps broaden my perspective (as well as lightening my day--just check out Sheyne's translation of Malaysian subtitles!) It is terrific to chat with BBM lovers in Europe and Australia--that's why I often check out the chat room early in the morning, US Mountain Time, to see if there are any Europeans checking in during their evenings.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

vkm91941

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 02:19:58 pm »
I always find conversations so much more enlightening if you seek to understand rather than to be understood.  JMO
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 05:07:13 pm by vkm91941 »

slayers_creek_oth

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 03:11:07 pm »
I awlays find conversations so much more enlightening if you seek to understand rather than to be understood.  JMO

I agree 100% Vic....not only more enlightening but its easier and you'll get farther IMO....

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 07:19:41 pm »
Hiya TJ,

What Vickie said.

Most of us have been on the boards for nearly 6 months.  We only have one 33 page short story to dissect and one 2 hour movie.  Some feel they've already discussed it all.

TJ

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 08:22:07 pm »
Well, since this is in the Anything Goes section of the BetterMost Forums, I should have a right to voice my personal opinions, right?

Oh, in regard to the epithet, "Christian," it is only used 3 times in the Bible and none of Jesus' followers ever used the word to refer to themselves. Because Paul and Barnabus preached about "The Christ," the non-believers in Antioch, Syria who spoke Greek made up the name to mock them. In the 1st Century AD, the Disciples of Jesus, there were thousands of them, called themselves and each other "Believer." And they called their doctrine or church, "The Way."

In an Epistle of Peter, the author mentions that if a person is made fun of because he believes in Christ Jesus and is called "Christian," and his is living right for the LORD, to count it an honor to be called by that name. But, what he wrote was not a command or order, in words to this effect, "From now on, all Believers will be called Christian." 

What we historically know as "Christian Orthodoxy" (official theologian name), we now call "Orthodox Christianity." The organized religion of Christianity began in 325 AD and the Emperor Constantine presided over the first of the 7 Councils that year. Until that happened, the Believers were definitely adovcates of separation of church and state.