Author Topic: Has anyone  (Read 9967 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Has anyone
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 09:11:56 am »
This is the one with SJP yes?

It looked like a bit of a chick flick in the ads..(and I like my chick flicks every so often! Dirty Dancing RULES!) so thought I may see it once out on video in the UK or something. But interestingly, I never noticed the ads showing the gay couple. Is this just becasue they aren't a core part of the story or what?

Another question I've been meaning to pose... do people think that a male gay couple is more socially acceptable than a lesbian couple and if so, why?

My take is yes, but I'm not quite sure why.. TV maybe? More male gay characters on TV? (I know there was The L Word but I never watched it)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 09:23:58 am by kelda_shelton »
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 09:20:22 am »
I saw it in the theatre expecting a comedy (since they advertised it as one) and didn't laugh at all..kinda ruined the movie for me.

Good point, Brandon. The scenes that were supposed to be funny were so slapsticky that they were overdone...and the whole thing with the casserole (the scene you see in all the ads) was yet another example of the mother and daughter being mean.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 09:31:21 am »
Another question I've been meaning to pose... do people think that a male gay couple is more socially acceptable than a lesbian couple and if so, why?

I don't know about real life, but you're right, in movies this certainly seems to be true. Maybe it's because most filmmakers are straight men who feel even more threatened by gay women than they are by gay men.

And back to Family Stone, yes, I saw that family not as cute and funny -- just mean.

Heath made this on the heels of BBM and he truly looks and sounds like Ennis in Venice with a British accent. He's sexy and fun. The movie is silly--but I have watched sillier movies and enjoyed them too. If you want serious and deep, stay away. If you are a hard core Heathen, you won't be disappointed. Our boy is in many, many scenes--lookin' good and sounding better ;-)

I AM a hardcore Heathen. But the prospect of seeing Ennis in Venice with a British accent scares me. I was in Venice about a year ago, though, and I'd love to see it for that reason, too.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2006, 10:08:29 am »
I AM a hardcore Heathen. But the prospect of seeing Ennis in Venice with a British accent scares me. I was in Venice about a year ago, though, and I'd love to see it for that reason, too.

LOL...What's the worst that can happen? You suddenly start hating Heath because he takes on non-Academy Award caliber roles? Actually, the story I heard is that he signed on to do this movie because he was stressed/burned out from BBM...wanted something fun and light and this gave him a 6 month sojurn in Venice--with Michelle, too. Apparently, he started doing research on Casanova and found out he didn't need to because the whole story is total fiction. It gave me more respect for him as an actor that he does take the time to read and learn about the character--even in a silly movie.

For Candy (his new Australian movie) apparently he went out and hung out with heroin junkies. There's a cheery thought.

For me, Ennis will always be Ennis, immortalized in BBM. Heath is a versatile actor and I look forward to following his career in the years to come...serious movies, silly movies or whatever. Maybe even as a director (I hear he aspires to that).

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2006, 11:54:06 am »
Their is a connection with The Family Stone and BBM.  The director of THE FAMILY STONE did THE BIG EDEN. A modern day gay western. It's utopia, not realistic of course, as the townspeople are incredibly gay friendly. Too bad Jack and Ennis never stumbled into such a place.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2006, 12:33:19 pm »
LOL...What's the worst that can happen? You suddenly start hating Heath because he takes on non-Academy Award caliber roles?

No chance that I will start hating Heath. But when I see him in real life or in another role it disturbs my image of Ennis as a real person. OK, I know I'm crazy. And I definitely will have to get over it. On the basis of this role, Heath has become my favorite actor. I think he's better than Sean Penn, better than Johnny Depp, better than Phillip Seymour Hoffman. I'm sure he will be good in other movies too; as I said, I liked him in Lords of Dogtown. Still, it's hard to imagine that he will ever match his performance in BBM, not due to any fault of his, but just because no role will ever be as good.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2006, 01:18:06 pm »
Still, it's hard to imagine that he will ever match his performance in BBM, not due to any fault of his, but just because no role will ever be as good.

I would like to think that he will, in fact, match and surpass this performance. I think he has the talent and I think he will be sought out for exceptional roles because people (directors, producers, casting folks) will know he has the talent.

Didn't people say the same thing about Marlon Brando? He had the performance of a lifetime in "Streetcar Named Desire" but he topped that with "On the Waterfront" and so on.

That said, I do think that Heath has set the bar very high for himself, but I have no doubt he is capable of topping it.

L

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2006, 01:34:10 pm »
I would like to think that he will, in fact, match and surpass this performance. I think he has the talent and I think he will be sought out for exceptional roles because people (directors, producers, casting folks) will know he has the talent.

Didn't people say the same thing about Marlon Brando? He had the performance of a lifetime in "Streetcar Named Desire" but he topped that with "On the Waterfront" and so on.

That said, I do think that Heath has set the bar very high for himself, but I have no doubt he is capable of topping it.

L

No, to clarify: I don't mean he's not capable. He's certainly that, and the Brando comparison is a good one. It's just that Brokeabck is the first movie that has ever caused me to spend four months obsessing about it, thinking about it constantly, discussing it online day and night. Obviously, it's my favorite movie ever. And a good chunk of the credit for that goes to Heath. So, sure, he will be great in a lot of other roles. He's extremely talented. But it's hard to believe that any of his other movies will be as great as Brokeback. If they are, well, I can't wait!

Offline FuzzyChanny

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "Youth is wasted on the young..."
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2006, 03:12:25 pm »
I loved the Family Stone.

I didn't see it as they were immediately unaccepting of her. They didn't think she was right for him, which was true. And because they were such a close knit family they were able to see that immediately.
I've learnt that you cannot make someone love you. All you can do is stalk them and hope they panic and give in!

Offline opinionista

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2006, 04:17:42 pm »
A good movie on many levels.  My dgtr in law lent it to me after our conversaton about BBM.  It is a family who has a son that is gay. his partner is black. they are the sweetest fmily..the couple are totally accepted by the parents and siblings. it is wonderful to see and you hope that thier attitude is mirrored in all families.  anyway...one of the sons brings a woman into the family that just does not fit in, you will see when you watch it that she has a problem with gays AND blacks to a certain degree...this isn't the whole story line, i think that is about love and loss, but i'd like for you guys to rent it and tell me what you think. it is a wonderful portrayal of the gay couple, their love for each other and the goodness in people...you'll see..its just a good movie...not BBM...nothing will ever be, but this resonates
gay

I didn't see it that way. In my opinion Meredith didn't mean to be rude about it, she was just trying to say that a person who is gay and deaf, beacause that guy was deaf too, might have it harder than anyone else to be accepted in society. I don't recall very well the scene but it was about being happy or something like that, and Meredith focused it from society's point of view. But she didn't know how to convey her thoughts too well, because she was nervous and all, and the whole family misunderstood her. I saw the movie a long time ago but that's how I remember that scene.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 04:21:34 pm by opinionista »
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement. -Mark Twain.