Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115538 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2007, 12:04:35 am »

My husband is a snorer.. didnt used to be, but now he is..he doesnt smoke, but he used to..we tried every thing but no avail...so now we have separate rooms...the dog sleeps with him, and i am alone...ok by me
       It was either that or go to prison for murder...I would get so dang tired I would want to hit him...I got tired of sleeping on the couch..
       I did the ear plugs, and the pillow over my head.. I also turned on the fan,, but eventually it got so loud that even the fan didnt drown it out......yukkkkk

I can understand the separate bedroom thing, Janice. If Alex and I were married, it might come down to separate bedrooms for us eventually too. It's weird, because his snoring will keep me awake when he's here, but when he goes back to England I miss his snoring and I stay awake because I can't hear it anymore! Isn't that strange?
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2007, 01:03:28 am »
Hi Kerry!  :D

Alex smokes occassionally, but he's not a heavy smoker. He just smokes every now and then. Cory (my roommate) doesn't smoke, and both are extremely heavy sleepers and loud snorers. I've been told I don't snore either Kerry. I am a very light sleeper, and I get up quite often during the night, if I go to bed at all. I only require a few hours of sleep anyway. I've always been like this, even as a little kid, I would get up during the night and go watch TV or something. I got in BIG trouble when mom and dad caught me doing it too! They'd say "GET YOUR ASS BACK IN BED!" But I couldn't help it. It's boring just laying there most of the night. I just don't need much sleep.

We all seem to be different when it comes to sleep and how much we need. My ex, George, was always one to go to bed early. In the 15 years we were together, it was always a contentious point with us. His wife tells me he still insists on going to bed early - sometimes as early as 7pm!  :o  I'm not comfortable going to bed before midnight. Come midnight, however, when my head hits the pillow, I'm out for the count until 6am, when I seem to just wake up automatically, without an alarm clock. George was a very quiet sleeper, unlike country-boy Kevin, who could raise the dead with the din of his snoring!   :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2007, 01:59:38 am »
Bicyclists who don't follow the rules of the road.  At least STOP at the red light and make sure nothing (cars, pedestrians, etc.) is coming before you wheel on through, you a$$h0le.  If I didn't think I would get hurt as bad or worse than they would, I would clothes-line 'em. 

Or bicyclists who insist on riding in the middle of the road and won't move over when cars are approaching from behind. I find  that extremely annoying. They're riding in the middle of the road, going 15 MPH when the speed limit is 40 MPH!

People generally do not ride their bicycles on busy streets here in Indiana, and those who do, do it at their own peril. I always try to wait patiently, perhaps toot my horn gently hoping they will move over. Sometimes they will, sometimes they won't. But they do have the right of way, so we just have hope they will extend a courtesy and move over to the side so we can pass them.  >:(

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2007, 02:26:41 am »
And ANOTHER thing. . .

People who have to always top you. 

You:  "I ate a whole box of Honey Nut Cheerios throughout the day yesterday." 
Them:  "I ate two boxes before noon." 

You:  "My cousin's baby was born with 11 toes!" 
Them:  I had a cousin who was born with 12 toes and four nipples. 

You:  "I had an emergency appendectomy." 
Them"  "My appendix ruptured, and an alien baby came out when they did surgery on me, and it ate the anesthesiologist." 

When you wake up in the morning to find it snowed hard the night before: 
You:  "Girl, I got 10 inches last night." 
Them"  "I got 13." 

Don't I wish I got 13 last night!  ;)

I got it, but it wasn't no 13!

:-X  :-X

Yeah, I know what you mean Kelly. It's annoying isn't it?

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2007, 03:05:24 am »

Here's a joke my momma told me. 

What's the difference between boogers and broccoli? 

Little kids won't eat broccoli. 

Oh God, that's disgusting!  :P

I agree about the make-up part too.  ;) :)

Offline underdown

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • aka... Rob
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2007, 08:59:08 am »
WOW, snoring sounds popular (but wasn't on the list)  :D
Well, if I'm very tired (which happens on week-days), I do tend to snore when sleeping on my back, and sometimes on my right side (and often wake, thinking it must be someone else ... but I live alone, so I must be guilty).  ::)  :-X

My top, pet peeve is religious guys (sorry, religious guys) who think that a religious person's interpretation of what is good and right must, by default, be God's.

One such was related in a new documentary called 'Kevin's Questions'. Kevin is an AIDS orphan from Kenya. In one segment, he is told by a Community Elder that, if he is considering sexual intercourse, he should not use condoms, but pray to The Lord (it did not explain whether that meant he should procreate and God would protect him from AIDS, or if he should pray for his hormones to be taken away).

Guess the general pet peeve comes under the headings of 'do-gooders', 'know-alls', and the like, who try to tell us that we should be either straight and married, or be celibate. Just like them. Which, also, by default, must be how God really meant to create us (not).

Grrrrrrrr. I'd like to introduce them to a Baptist Minister who thinks that love for each other is what is important (straight or gay, black, white, or technicolour), that marriage is not a piece of paper, and that a piece of paper is not a licence to abuse someone with impunity.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2007, 09:16:46 am »

I agree, Rob. The world sure would be a better place without religious bigots.    :-\
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2007, 01:51:08 pm »
My pet peeves is when you meet someone online and they lie about their age or looks.  I mean, if you're gonna meet people in person after meeting online, if you say you're 40, but are really 59, or say you're a blonde when your bald but wear a blonde rug,  isn't it going to be obvious!  I hate that, I guess I just really dislike dishonesty.

Offline Dobie1018

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2007, 12:35:29 pm »
One of my pet peeves is a small pet peeve, but it still irritates me every time I  hear it.  It is people who regularly pronounce the word "ask" like the word "ax", and the word "asked" like the word "axed".  I hear it quite often from people and each time I hear it I want to correct them, but hold my tongue!

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2007, 12:54:12 pm »
Spitting in public is also a pet peeve of mine.  I was waiting for the subway late one night, and this grody guy close to me kept spitting on the tracks.  It was nasty.  I was tempted to give him a piece of gum or something.

OMG, so true.  A lot of annoying things are generally recognized as annoying and therefore not done by most adults (e.g. nose picking).   But a lot of the same people have no compunction about spitting.  Eeeew!  (Like, at least spit into the garbage or bushes or somewhere out of plain sight....   :P)