Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115521 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2009, 02:24:07 pm »
OK, I know I'm going to bring all sorts of wrath down on myself, but I'll say it anyway: breastfeeding in public.

It always embarrasses me when I see it, and I have to avert my eyes, because I think I'm seeing something very intimate that the public--me included--has no business viewing or watching.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26:13 pm »
Guilty as charged, friend! I have become a serial comma user!

But the "serial comma" is not a misuse. Some of us still consider that the proper use.  ???

Not using a comma before "and" in a series is a dang, newfangled innovation. ...  >:(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline LauraGigs

• BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
    • My Design Portfolio
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2009, 02:26:46 pm »
Amen, sister and brother!  I can't stand the abysmal spelling and grammar all over the internet.

A pet peeve I think no one has mentioned: loud, repeated yawning, especially over the phone. 

If you have to yawn, yawn.  But don't throw all kinds of vocals into it like an opera singer. "AHH....EEEAAAHHHHH" etc.

I have a friend who regularly calls me while relaxing in bed:  "I'm just lying in bed [YAWN], just being lazy.... [YAWN] God I'm feeling so laaaaazy today [YAWN]...

I keep asking her to stop it but it never seems to take.  (And also, does such a phone call have any purpose, or do people not have anything better to do than listen to you yawn?)
« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 07:08:57 pm by LauraGigs »

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #63 on: April 21, 2009, 07:30:39 pm »
OK, I know I'm going to bring all sorts of wrath down on myself, but I'll say it anyway: breastfeeding in public.

It always embarrasses me when I see it, and I have to avert my eyes, because I think I'm seeing something very intimate that the public--me included--has no business viewing or watching.

Wonder why?  Guess gay men are not immune to the sexualization of women's bodies.  Women's bodies have been used as sexual objects for so long, that when a mother breastfeeds - actually uses her breasts for what they are for - people get embarrassed because they believe she is exposing something that should only be seen in intimate sexual moments. 

I understand the feeling, though.  I've sexualized men's bodies so much, I get embarrassed if a guy I find good looking takes off his shirt. 

injest

« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2009, 08:24:06 pm »
Wonder why?  Guess gay men are not immune to the sexualization of women's bodies.  Women's bodies have been used as sexual objects for so long, that when a mother breastfeeds - actually uses her breasts for what they are for - people get embarrassed because they believe she is exposing something that should only be seen in intimate sexual moments. 

I understand the feeling, though.  I've sexualized men's bodies so much, I get embarrassed if a guy I find good looking takes off his shirt. 

for me it is that I dont care to see any liquid coming from any part of anyone's body. I mean even TEARS are cringeworthy...think about it..what do you do? give them a hanky, pat their backs...I am never good with that kind of thing...I always want to give them some privacy til they recover themselves..

I REALLY dont' want to see snot, urine, feces, seminal fluid....none of that stuff....milk isnt' that much different to me. It is all 'natural'..dont' make it less disgusting.

now if someone is breast feeding and being modest (meaning I dont' KNOW it) then there is no harm no foul....it is the mothers that think they are auditioning for the role of Lilith on Cheers that irritate me..."I am MOTHER! BEARER of NEW life! I FEED my nectar to my progeny!!"...OY!

it's MILK. cows produce it daily, it isn't anything to brag too hard about.

it is like blowing your nose in public...discreetly into a tissue is fine...honking and letting it hang from your nose? NOT...

injest

« Reply #65 on: April 21, 2009, 08:27:00 pm »
Amen, sister and brother!  I can't stand the abysmal spelling and grammar all over the internet.

A pet peeve I think no one has mentioned: loud, repeated yawning, especially over the phone.  I have a friend who regularly calls me while relaxing in bed:  "I'm just lying in bed [YAWN], just being lazy.... [YAWN] God I'm feeling so laaaaazy today [YAWN]...

I keep asking her not to do that but it never seems to take.  (And also, does such a phone call have any purpose, or do people not have anything better to do than listen to you yawn?)

for me it is newspapers or books whose editors used spellcheck so they have sentences like this:

"We took the boat out to them lake"

cause 'them' is a word, spellcheck doesn't catch it.

my other pet peeve? people that correct other people's spelling or grammer on an informal website. You never know if the person you are 'correcting' is a non English speaker...I want to hear what people think..I dont' care about spelling.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #66 on: April 21, 2009, 10:03:46 pm »
But the "serial comma" is not a misuse. Some of us still consider that the proper use.  ???

Not using a comma before "and" in a series is a dang, newfangled innovation. ...  >:(

Okay, if I'm allowed to be a serial comma user, then which comma(s) were you thinking were misused, in the spirit of wanting to improve myself friend!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #67 on: April 21, 2009, 10:11:06 pm »

I REALLY dont' want to see snot, urine, feces, seminal fluid....none of that stuff....milk isnt' that much different to me. It is all 'natural'..dont' make it less disgusting.

Just after my sister gave birth to her first child, she thought it would be funny to squirt me in the face with her milk. :P

It was not funny. >:(

Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #68 on: April 21, 2009, 10:12:46 pm »
It's interesting that the top two things that people hate are rudeness and mean people. I agree. Who wouldn't hate that? But, then, there's so much of it around!! Why, I wonder!

About belching & burping, nose picking, bum scratching, hairiness, etc. that doesn't bother me if it's a friend. Those are all endearing qualities IMHO! Also, people who spit when talking, they are likely to be passionate about what they're saying. I just try to dodge the wetness and keep on listening! Bad breath and bad hygiene don't bother me; I probably give back in kind!

So, there are people who detest immigrants? Why? aren't we all immigrants? I don't think there are many Native Americans on BetterMost (maybe David, partly!)

Hearing someone use the bathroom: now that is funny. Some guys sound like a horse when they let loose! It doesn't bother me at all.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

injest

« Reply #69 on: April 21, 2009, 10:17:52 pm »
It's interesting that the top two things that people hate are rudeness and mean people. I agree. Who wouldn't hate that? But, then, there's so much of it around!! Why, I wonder!

About belching & burping, nose picking, bum scratching, hairiness, etc. that doesn't bother me if it's a friend. Those are all endearing qualities IMHO! Also, people who spit when talking, they are likely to be passionate about what they're saying. I just try to dodge the wetness and keep on listening! Bad breath and bad hygiene don't bother me; I probably give back in kind!

So, there are people who detest immigrants? Why? aren't we all immigrants? I don't think there are many Native Americans on BetterMost (maybe David, partly!)

Hearing someone use the bathroom: now that is funny. Some guys sound like a horse when they let loose! It doesn't bother me at all.

Lee?

no offense sweetie...but TMI!!!

TMI TMI!!

:laugh: :laugh: ;)