Author Topic: Pet Peeves  (Read 115516 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Pet Peeves
« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2018, 06:25:03 pm »
Yes, that is the pits! Even in laissez-faire companies, some kind of policing is important, e.g., label the food with your name and date.

Yeah, policing is necessary!

And I also hate when the opposite happens, people take food that isn't theirs!    Really?  You have to take someone else's lunch?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #111 on: July 06, 2018, 11:29:35 am »
And I also hate when the opposite happens, people take food that isn't theirs!    Really?  You have to take someone else's lunch?

That's such a weird one! I wouldn't want to eat some stranger's lunch, not just because it's rude but also because it's gross.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2018, 04:31:38 pm »
Oh, trust me, it's happened at my office! 

Never to me, but it's happened.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2018, 10:27:08 am »
Oh, trust me, it's happened at my office! 

Never to me, but it's happened.

Mine, too. Never to me either, but one woman had her lunch stolen twice. I don't know if she was an especially good cook or what.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2018, 07:17:52 pm »
If that were to ever happen to me, I would make a 'dummy' lunch that is spiked with ghost pepper sauce, and wait for the show.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #115 on: July 09, 2018, 10:31:30 am »
If that were to ever happen to me, I would make a 'dummy' lunch that is spiked with ghost pepper sauce, and wait for the show.

:laugh: :laugh:

Great idea!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #116 on: July 09, 2018, 10:52:23 am »
I may well have/probably mentioned this before, but one of my greatest is people who ride bicycles on the sidewalk.

This happened to me again this morning, on my way to work. This isn't just annoying. This is dangerous to pedestrians because bicycles can move so quickly and quietly. It's a tragedy when a cyclist is killed in an accident with a motor vehicle, but the cycling community will get more support from me when cyclists stop riding on the sidewalk.

I could also add, Bicyclists who ride the wrong way on a one-way street. I once came within a foot of being run down by a cyclist (a food delivery person to judge from the container on the back of the bike) who was riding east on a street that's one-way west, and it was night, and he had no headlight on the bike.

My city is in the process of expanding and reordering bike lanes in the streets. The city will be moving the lane on my street (runs one-way west) from the north side to the south side of the street. This means we will be losing the loading zone in front of my building, which is located on the south side of the street. Once the move is complete, people in my building who will need to unload groceries, etc., from their cars will now have to do so on the north side of the street and then carry their groceries, etc., across the street to reach the building. And this is not a quiet residential street; this is a busy city street.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #117 on: July 09, 2018, 07:13:38 pm »
Agreed about bicyclists on sidewalks unless they're under age 10. And even then, parents should keep a better eye on them; I often encounter little kids careening around without full control of their vehicles and have to be ready to dodge them.

I have more than once almost hit bicyclists in my car who are riding the wrong way on sidewalks. In fact, in one case I did hit him! I was pulling onto a divided street from a gas station. I looked to the left, no cars, and started to pull out. I hit this kid who was riding his bike in the wrong direction on the sidewalk.

He was fine and got up and rode away. But then I remembered one plot line in Robert Altman's "Shortcuts," based on stories by Raymond Carver, when that exact thing happens but later the kid is found to have a brain injury and is dead within about a day.

Hope that didn't happen!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #118 on: July 09, 2018, 11:08:22 pm »
kids of that age should be taken to a park to ride, not on a sidewalk.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #119 on: July 10, 2018, 09:15:25 am »
Kids of that age should be taken to a park to ride, not on a sidewalk.

I agree about kids, but the riders in Center City I'm talking about are not kids. They are adults who should know better.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.