Author Topic: br. patrick and his near-death experiences...  (Read 343006 times)

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • "So what're we gonna do now?"
Re: br. patrick and his near-death experiences...
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2007, 03:25:02 pm »
Now, an immensely bright light actually brings me little comfort; I've always felt much more at home in the dark, yielding night than the strident, glaring day, and the idea of finding myself in a radiant light-filled realm with no shadows definitely brings me some anxiety. That may sound strange to a lot of people, but it's true for me.

I've felt that many of our fears arise from being within a physical body. Perhaps when released from our physical constraints, the fears that germinate thereby (fears of falling, of bearing pain that the body cannot withstand, etc, etc) vanish away like a bad dream.

Please feel free to share and elaborate on anything as you please.

Thanks,
Scott

Sorry to be so long to get back to you on this.  I have been watching YOUR thread!   You are just like me.  I CAN'T handle bright light - it really hurts my eyes.  I just gifted myself with an incredibly dark wrap-around pair of sunglasses that fit over my regular ones.   They really help but in the Beforetime, since I'm on disability, I had my schedule when I would go to sleep at 2PM and wake up around 10PM.   Then I was able to enjoy the QUIET and the comfort of the darkness.  I did most of my walks around the Lakeshore during those times.   Dawn is intensely great but there comes a point where it becomes genuinely painfull because the light is so bright.

When I died, I felt I had some kind of body, but it was more suited to the circumstances of the 'transition environment' that I found myself in.  The Creator, with whom I spoke, "appeared" in Many different bodies but with the same ESSENCE.   As I stated somewhere else, I did 'hear?' other 'essences' passing by me and were thanking me for the gift of the 'perfect prayer.'

So, I definitely agree with you.  To use your own words: "the fears that germinate thereby (fears of falling, of bearing pain that the body cannot withstand, etc, etc) vanish away like a bad dream."

BTW, the Reason I can't handle bright light is because of my medications.  I am on Dexedrine and something new called Provigil and they Definitely dilate the pupils.

Thanks, Scott for your invaluable input!
({[Heavenly Hugs]})

br. p
Lean on me, let our hearts beat in time,
Feel strength from the hands that have held you so long.
Who cares where we go on this rugged old road
In a world that may say that we're wrong.

...Cause I know - A love that will never grow old.

Gustavo Santaolalla & Bernie Taupin

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2007, 03:27:02 pm »
Having not been raised Catholic, I am only going on what I have heard over the years, but one thought that keeps coming back to me is "The Ecstasies" that people have experienced in the presence of the spirit over time. It sounds to me like that is what you have experienced, or is that too bold or broad a description?
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2007, 05:57:51 pm »
Having not been raised Catholic, I am only going on what I have heard over the years, but one thought that keeps coming back to me is "The Ecstasies" that people have experienced in the presence of the spirit over time. It sounds to me like that is what you have experienced, or is that too bold or broad a description?

I don't think it has anything to do with what 'way' one has contact with the Divine.  As a hermit / monk, I lean toward a more contemplative prayer - i.e., that let's me 'hear' the Spirit in the silences.  At least that was the way it was in the Beforetime...  Looking back on all of the "ecstasy moments" I would now say they raised me about 6 inches above the ground.  In a weirdly REAL sort of way.  On Sunday August 12th, my best girlFriend in RL who had been with me through the entire experience decided we would use the Biblical Readings for that Sunday and pray them.  She is an ELCA Lutheran, I'm RC...  Our Lectionaries are nearly identical.  Now, she is a teacher and also in the process of learning Spanish.  I got straight A's in Spanish in High School and remarkably STILL remember lots of it.   So she was reading in Spanish, I was reading in English.  (Whenever one prayerfully reads scripture in whatever faith the "HOLY SPIRIT" or whatever they may call (him?) helps you understand.)  The first reading was great!  But it then came time for the Psalm.  Now, as a monk in the monastery, I prayed the psalms 4 times a day for 19 years and they are absolutely ingrained on my heart of hearts (cause I love them so much).  She started reading the psalm in Spanish, I followed her word for word in English then BAM!!!!!!!!!!!!  I got it in three languages at once.  Her: Spanish, Me: English, The Holy Spirit, who was clearly above us saying the same thing with PURE THOUGHT.   I went into the ecstasies of ecstasies.  I Had The Whole Stanza in my head SIMULTANEOUSLY and experienced the greatest physical pleasure that I EVER have in my entire life.  In comparison with the 6 inches, I WENT AS HIGH AS THE MOON!  And my HEART was pierced by a sword of Pure Love....

When I read that it is SO inadequate to try to convey.   St. Theresa Of Avila, a 15th Century Mystic had MANY Mystical experiences and wrote volumes about them...  Here is a sculpture of her receiving exactly what I received...

Hugs~~~!
br. p
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007, 03:18:58 pm by Br. Patrick »

moremojo

« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2007, 06:10:33 pm »
(((((((Brother Patrick))))))) Hugs and blessings to our brother Patrick!

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2007, 11:22:43 pm »
I say this with the utmost admiration and respect: Shit Fire!

Do you get the feeling like it was just laying there all this time and you all picked it up? You knew the psalms by heart and here came voice along with you and in another language. The duality so apparent and yes, sometimes knowledge like that is like an open hand extended to you, by something else.

Bless You, Friend.

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2007, 03:43:03 pm »
I say this with the utmost admiration and respect: Shit Fire!

Do you get the feeling like it was just laying there all this time and you all picked it up? You knew the psalms by heart and here came voice along with you and in another language. The duality so apparent and yes, sometimes knowledge like that is like an open hand extended to you, by something else.

Bless You, Friend.

Knowing you, I'm sure that "Shit Fire!" is a good thing, but I am clueless as to what you are trying to say AND if you are saying it with admiration and respect then I HAVE to know!

It's difficult to talk about these experiences but 'duality' doesn't fit, TRINITY does,  ONE IDEA expressed in English, Spanish and PURE THOUGHT (best way I can express an inexpressible 'language')  As far as the Ecstasy went, only I felt it.  My friend just watched as I uttered meaningless sounds and writhed in the 'feeling' of Ecstasy.  I don't feel that I am able to express this very well.   Did you ever get 'high?' Did you ever have a 'body rush?'  Now AMPLIFY that infinitely and you may get some idea of the experience I was simply gifted with.  This probably doesn't answer you at all.  But it's the best I can do.  I can't do any better but continue to ask and we'll come to a mutual understanding.   I call it my Epiphany!   That means "manifestation of the Divine"...

I wish it would happen to you right this minute!

{{cyber-blessings right back atcha}}
br. p

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2007, 04:09:38 pm »
(((((((Brother Patrick))))))) Hugs and blessings to our brother Patrick!

Gratefully received and returned 100 fold...  (in dim light of course) 8)

br. p

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2007, 04:15:33 pm »
Well I suppose I approach it from a ying/yang standpoint, but understand how the concept of the trinity would apply also. You and your friend were appraching the spirit in different tongues, when I pull back to include the spirit in my line of vision it is a trinity.

By shit fire, it is my countrified way of saying "Holy Smokes! You have been touched by something profound!" I take what you say seriously, but I always come across as a wild person.

Offline Br. Patrick

• Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 03:34:26 am »
By shit fire, it is my countrified way of saying "Holy Smokes! You have been touched by something profound!" I take what you say seriously, but I always come across as a wild person.

It reminds me of Genesis 16:12 referring to Abram's (Abraham's) concubine Hagar.
God told Hagar, “this son of yours will be a wild one, free and untamed as a wild ass! He will be against everyone, and everyone will feel the same towards him. But he will live near the rest of his kin”.

It refers to Ishmael, the firstborn of what would become the Muslims.

Abraham's second son, Isaac became the firstborn of Jews & Christians alike.   Another 'trinity...'

{{Shit fire, does that mean we're all related?}}

br. p

moremojo

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 10:08:09 am »
{{Shit fire, does that mean we're all related?}}
You bet!