Author Topic: PAL DVD and SPECIAL EDITION  (Read 7222 times)

rtprod

PAL DVD and SPECIAL EDITION
« on: May 09, 2006, 11:18:43 am »
Hi guys,

This was posted over at IMDB courtesy of mfbix and I thought it was interesting -- I have a region free DVD player so I'm going to get one of these and then report back if there's anything else to add here.

rt

BBM DVDs: PAL and Special Edition   
  by - mfbix 56 minutes ago (Tue May 9 2006 07:19:50)  Ignore this User | Report Abuse 
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got the UK/PAL DVD of Brokeback Mountain a couple of days ago. I bought it mainly to see if the subtitles were different from the US version (I’ve been surprised by the 5-6 times where the subtitles in the US DVD to diverge from what’s actually said). It turns out that they are different in several places. One example: Near the end as Ennis is leaving the Twist house holding the shirts in the bag and saying goodbye to Mrs. Twist, he says “Thank you, ma’am” (US) and “Thank you for this” (UK), holding up the bag.
More important about the PAL DVD: It is mastered differently so all scenes are brighter and more contrasty (not so washed out). This changes the look of the outdoor scenes, but it really changes those three or four scenes where we can’t quite make out what is happening on the US DVD. The two tent scenes look quite different, particularly the first one. The US subtitles say “belts clinking”, but the UK/PAL version lacks the title because you can see exactly what’s happening (I don’t mean there is an additional nudity). Similarly the kissing at the foot of the stairs (what Alma sees is clearer and even more startling) and the motel scene are clearer. (Note that PAL DVDs are not playable on regular US DVD players or TVs.)

Of interest to regular readers of these boards: I noticed on French Amazon yesterday that an “Edition Ultimate” of BBM has been announced for release in France on July 19: two DVDs, the CD of soundtrack music, and a copy of the book. There is no description of what’s on the DVDs, but there are definitely two of them. Presumably this is just an early announcement of a special edition that will be available here at the same time or earlier.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 11:55:13 am by rtprod »

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: PAL DVD and SPECIAL EDITION
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2006, 11:27:58 am »
Good news about the Ultimate Edition! Wonder if it will be released in the US at the same time.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2006, 06:32:28 pm »
“Thank you for this”

That's what I always thought he said...

Offline RouxB

• BetterMost Welcome Wagon & Contributor
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • ...a love that will never grow old
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2006, 07:07:40 pm »
Me too Eric-"Thank you for this" and he slightly lifts the bag in acknowledgement.

O0

Heathen

Offline Aussie Chris

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 10:17:51 pm »
Me too Eric-"Thank you for this" and he slightly lifts the bag in acknowledgement.

Man, you guys are good!  Of all the mumbled and repressed things that Ennis says, this must be the "mumbliest" because it's also whispered.  I had to read his lips to see anything, and all I got was "thank you...".

I presume that here in Australia we'll get the same/similar version that they do in the U.K.  We don't normally get a full screen and wide screen version, generally the DVD industry (driven by the enthusiasts) only release wide screen versions.  We still haven't got a breakdown of the extras yet, or a release date!  Argh!
Nothing is as common as the wish to be remarkable - William Shakespeare

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2006, 06:36:55 pm »
Release tomorrow? Anybody who sees it, let us know!!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2006, 10:59:46 pm »
Yes, yes, yes....it is tomorrow in Australia......20th July

Although I have a pirate copy, i will definately be buying a new copy, with cover.

I have set up a thread on Chez Tremblay, in anticipation of some more Aussies looking for a message board after they have seen it for maybe the first time.

Looking forward to this PAL version to compare with the other copy I have.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2006, 10:01:00 am »
Awaiting the details with bated breath!!

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2006, 01:58:06 am »

Me too.

Awaiting the details with bated breath!!

Me too!

Offline Katie77

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of Nature
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2006, 12:15:02 am »
Hi there....well I have been finally been able to walk into a shop and buy the DVD.....

...got it yesterday....and I know this is going to be hard to believe, i havent watched it yet....I have  always had a pirate copy, and watched it many times, but I'm sure if I had put it on last night, my hubby would have left me...so I have tomorrow all to myself, when, I will make myself comfy, and sit down and watch it....so many things Ive learned from threads on here to look out for now, popped buttons, and whispered words.....boy am I going to enjoy it.

I was in the shop first thing yesterday as I was under the assumption when they said release date 20th, that i wouldnt get it beforehand, but when I bought it, I asked the saleslady if they had sold many, and she said, "only one other, yesterday."

So obviously it was there the day before, but what has intrigued me, is WHO got in so early and bought it....must be someone with the "fever".....so now I know that I am possibly not the only one in this town, who is obsessed......and I will have to find this person....could think of nothing better than to sit down over coffee and talk face to face with someone, who will not think i am crazy.

Our town only has a population of 20,000, the kind of town, where everybody knows everybody, or is related somehow, and word gets around, so I am going to go all out to hunt this person down.I have even thought of putting an add in our small local paper, maybe saying...."Brokeback Mountain....if you loved the movie,lets meet at local coffee shop, date.."....would be interesting to see who or if anyone shows up.

Anyway, I'll let you know....maybe i should wait a week or two until its been on the shelves a little bit longer.....I will also let you know, after tomorrow, how the PAL version is.
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection