Author Topic: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?  (Read 16569 times)

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:23:59 am »
Monday and it's heavily raining, everything is dark and grey outside...  :P

But hey, there was something to brighten up Mondays, now wasn't there  :) ?

We have another topic suggested by a BetterMostian, yay! Without further ado, here it is:

Should/could there be a sequel to Brokeback Mountain?

Whoops, almost shocking question, isn't it?  ;)
We know that there won't be a sequel - but what if...? Would you go and see it? Would you maybe embrace it? Or see it just out of curiosity? Or would you completely boykott it?
One and a half year have gone by since BBM; has your perception on this topic changed over the months?
And could there be a sequel to begin with? Would it work without Jack?

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: TOTW 06/07: Should/could there be a sequel?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 01:08:55 am »
I'd see anything Brokeback Mountain.  Sequel with only Ennis, no Jack.  Bring it on.  But I hate ta ask, what would it be about?   ???  Hmmmm....

Ooooh, what about a "prequel" or an "expansion" on the current movie/story?  One that showed all the missing moments we've never "seen"?

Has there ever been a movie like that?  That went back and "expanded" on a story?  Only Donnie Darko comes to mind, and to be honest, I'm not sure if that made it better or worse.  :laugh:

Offline Ellemeno

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 03:29:21 am »
Oh, that's an idea, Eric - not a sequel or a prequel, but a "co"quel.  A fill in the gaps during their years together.  TS3, TS4, TS16, TS 27...  :)  We could sure provide them with a list of scenarios to write scenes about.  They'd have to hurry if they were going to use the same actors.  They both look much older to me than they did in the first part of BBM.

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 04:03:37 am »

I for one could never accept any other actors in those roles.  JMO

Beautiful mind

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 08:23:44 am »
The Thorn Birds did an extra one!

The hidden years or something like that.
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline souxi

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • sex on legs
    • bats belfrey
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 08:38:10 am »
I,ve always thought, before Louise wrote her original fan fic, that there should be a sequel to BBM. Ennis was only 40 years old when Jack died. That is far to young an age to be stuck in that depressing trailer. If they ever did consider it, I think that Louises original fan fic is the one to film. I,ve always said that from the word go I think. Jake would be used for the flashback scenes obviously, ie. His meeting with Justin Worrel. Just think, we,d have Heath and Hugh Jackman, on screen, togther. *SIGH*.
Hey didn,t someone on here meet Heath once and tell him about Bettermost? I can,t remember who that was now. Maybe they could point Heath in this diection? ;) In all seriousness though, I don,t know if AP would have to be consulted as Ennis and Jack are her creations. I know nothing about the legalities of this kind of thing. If it wasn,t possbile, then Heath and Hugh could still play Colson and Ellery, couldnt, they?  One of these days...................... ::) ;)

Scott6373

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 09:09:56 am »
Simple answer:  No.

Offline Kd5000

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 09:35:03 am »
Yep, BBM the MISSING YEARS.  What would be the missing years, I don't know.  We'd get more details of when they went to that cabin and killed an elk?? Probably not enough there even for a novel.

Well BBM didn't end like Romeo and Juliet where they are both dead. So that does leave one wondering what happens next for Ennis. Though I like to hope that he finds some happiness, I don't think I would want to see it on film.   I don't know of too many love story themed movies that have a good sequel.

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 11:01:02 am »
I think the movie ended as it should.  The rest is left up to our imaginations.  I say no sequel.  Not without the living Jack for Ennis.  But IDK maybe a movie about what we didnt see on the fishing trips and huntin trips up in the big horns... that would be juicy fun.   ::)

moremojo

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 11:24:07 am »
I'd prefer no sequel. I'd be willing to go see a sequel, even with different actors, but fortunately we know we'll never have to worry about that.

I would welcome a different film adaptation of the story. Lots of folks find that blasphemous, especially when the first film is so exceptional, but I've always found the idea of different artists tackling the same material fascinating. I would actually like to see Ennis and Jack portrayed by actors who seem closer to Proulx's original vision--less glamorous and idealized, replete with buck teeth and broken nose.