Author Topic: TOTW 07/07: Was Mr. Twist homophobic?  (Read 39097 times)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: TOTW 07/07: Was Mr. Twist homophobic?
« Reply #70 on: May 03, 2008, 10:54:58 am »
Merci beaucoup optom !

Your post is so brilliant that I savour it... for humanity!

It would be so great that it would be in a book, and in schools !!

May I say... as it reasons and opens one's heart too !!

Encore merci  !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #71 on: May 03, 2008, 11:00:50 am »
Merci encore optom !

You say:
    The reason I think Mrs Twist and indeed myself would prefer their children not to be gay, is because no mom wants to see their kids suffer.
We play the nurturing role almost from conception,we do everything we can to keep our kids safe and happy.

Optom, you do not know that I re-acted badly when years ago one of my younger brothers told me that he is gay !! I oftened wondered about that, since I am a gay man too !!  The only reason, if any, is that I felt that it would be so hard for him, because it was difficult for me ??

Any thought on that ?  I think too that Mrs. Twist helped Mr. Twist accept Jack's homosexuality better !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline optom3

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #72 on: May 03, 2008, 11:20:03 am »
Merci encore optom !

You say:
    The reason I think Mrs Twist and indeed myself would prefer their children not to be gay, is because no mom wants to see their kids suffer.
We play the nurturing role almost from conception,we do everything we can to keep our kids safe and happy.

Optom, you do not know that I re-acted badly when years ago one of my younger brothers told me that he is gay !! I oftened wondered about that, since I am a gay man too !!  The only reason, if any, is that I felt that it would be so hard for him, because it was difficult for me ??

Any thought on that ?  I think too that Mrs. Twist helped Mr. Twist accept Jack's homosexuality better !!

Au revoir,
hugs!

I agree 100%
we never want to see the ones we love suffer.
It must have been even worse for you, because you had endured it yourself, so you were speaking from the heart and also with experience.
My 1st husband was gay and I watched what he endured. Even in England which is considerably more tolerant.
I certainly think that Mrs Twist would have been instrumental in helping OMT reach some form of acceptance.Mothers always in my experience act as the go between.!!!!!
How many times have I herd myself say,I will speak to your father about it.

Which leads to another point.Am I as a wife and mother, actually helping to perpetuate the myth of the much stricter father,who is less tolerant.When in many cases that is simply not the case.

Yet so many times I act as this sort of intermediary, when in actual fact their father would be no less,  angry/accepting/forgiving/generous than me.

This discussion has really made me open my eyes, very wide, to some of the behaviour patterns, I have adopted.They are the same as my moms before.
By acting as this intermediary, I am by default portraying their father as the strict non tolerant etc etc person he most definitely is not.
I would put money on it that I am not the only mom who does this.

When I think of it, it is like a kind of arrogance. Leave it to me I will sort it out with your father.  Why? is he a monster ,NO. Quite the reverse. I also think it becomes a way of getting as much love from your kids as you can,Almost like bribery.I will make it alright with your dad,therfore you will love me even more.

What a revelation this has been to me. A searchlight has gone on in my brain, never mind a light bulb.
I am going to have a serious think about some of my own behaviour patterns.!!!!!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #73 on: May 03, 2008, 03:05:13 pm »
Merci seriouscrayons !

You say:
     Not only that, it's unlikely that Jack would have confided in OMT his plans to leave his wife and bring Ennis (or the ranch neighbor) up to Lightning Flat to live.

Seriouscrayons, why do you say unlikely ??

Why not consider likely that Jack had confided such to Mr. Twist and/or Mrs. Twist ??

Oh, I didn't make myself clear. I think it's obvious that he definitely DID confide such to Mr. Twist. My post was in reference to optom3's post, which said that it's unlikely Mr. Twist would allow Jack to return home every year if he were homophobic. So my point was that, not only does Mr. Twist allow Jack to return home, but Jack feels comfortable enough to confide his plans, which imply that he is gay, to his dad, who seemingly took it somewhat in stride.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #74 on: May 03, 2008, 03:27:08 pm »
Merci optom !

True is what you say... as I think so too !!

When I was living 4 days away, my father came with his hunting buddy. I invited them to use my bed, but they prefered that they slept on the kitchen floor, and as I went in my bedroom, I heard dad say to his pal: my son likes men !! He knew, and he did not know that I had no hint that he did think that I was gay !!

That is one thing that made father and I... get closer together: his acceptance of I being gay !! But I still did not talk to him about it nor afterwards, at no time at all - so are we gay men too afraid or too secretive ??

Like you say, maybe I should act differently... now thinking about it ??

Au revoir,
hugs! So maybe Jack did reveal some things about his gay life to Mr. Twist, his father !! ??

Offline Artiste

« Reply #75 on: May 03, 2008, 03:29:26 pm »
Merci seriouscrayons !

You say:
          Oh, I didn't make myself clear. I think it's obvious that he definitely DID confide such to Mr. Twist. My post was in reference to optom3's post, which said that it's unlikely Mr. Twist would allow Jack to return home every year if he were homophobic. So my point was that, not only does Mr. Twist allow Jack to return home, but Jack feels comfortable enough to confide his plans, which imply that he is gay, to his dad, who seemingly took it somewhat in stride.

Seriouscrayons, Jack confides his plans directly to Mr. Twist, his dad ??

Au revoir,
hugs!  Merci pour tes bonnes nouvelles !!

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2008, 03:50:50 pm »
Seriouscrayons, Jack confides his plans directly to Mr. Twist, his dad ??

Yes. Mr. Twist describes Jack's plans in a way that indicates that Jack had confided them directly to his father.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #77 on: May 03, 2008, 06:19:51 pm »

Yet if they are gay we know that they will encounter,many things that we would give anything for them not to.
 They will be taunted,ridiculed,in some cases beaten and even murdered.So it is for that reason I would prefer my children not to be gay.

lets think about what you wrote.

just as a fantasy hypothetical : if you had a baby and genetic tests revealed that he or she would likely be gay (and that day may not be very far off), and your OBGYN told you that you could participate in a new almost magical treatment which if used when the child is an infant could change his chromosomes and make him or her probably straight instead of gay.  would you consent to such treatment?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #78 on: May 03, 2008, 06:29:22 pm »
Merci broketrash !

You do pose a difficult question !

There are maybe many possible answers to that ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
« Reply #79 on: May 03, 2008, 06:34:32 pm »
Merci broketrash !

You do pose a difficult question !

There are maybe many possible answers to that ?

Au revoir,
hugs!

no, there are only three answers:

1) one would change the sexual orientation of one's child

2) one would not change the sexual orientation of one's child

3) one does not know if one would or would not.