Author Topic: Jack's Ramblings  (Read 828531 times)

Offline jstephens9

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Jack's Ramblings
« Reply #1670 on: July 20, 2009, 12:20:35 pm »
peronally I'd say use the tie.

:laugh: yeah if I can figure out how to tie it  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #1671 on: July 20, 2009, 01:10:09 pm »
:laugh: yeah if I can figure out how to tie it  :laugh:

Get a clip-on.  ;)

But I agree with Kelda. As long as you aren't applying for something like auto mechanic, wear a tie for the interview. Especially if you aren't wearing a sport coat-type jacket. If you wear a jacket, you might be able to get away with an open-collar dress shirt and no tie. But then make sure it's a dress shirt, not a knit polo-type shirt.

Gee, I'm just full of fashion advice, aren't I?  :laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1672 on: July 21, 2009, 08:27:47 am »
Get a clip-on.  ;)

But I agree with Kelda. As long as you aren't applying for something like auto mechanic, wear a tie for the interview. Especially if you aren't wearing a sport coat-type jacket. If you wear a jacket, you might be able to get away with an open-collar dress shirt and no tie. But then make sure it's a dress shirt, not a knit polo-type shirt.

Gee, I'm just full of fashion advice, aren't I?  :laugh:

I actually figured out how to tie a tie after all these years, well at least one knot called the four-in-hand. I was looking for a clip-on, but I found that they are very, very hard to find. They are also very, very much looked down upon. I didn't actually know how much until I went looking. Apparently you would have to go to some type of unknown store to find one. That also goes for the zipper type which is something I had never heard of anyway. And then you face the fact from the people doing the interview that it would have been better to not have worn one at all. Personally I think that is stupid, but the whole suit and tie idea is stupid to me anyway. I am very glad that I will never have to deal with that kind of stuff except on an interview. There definitely will be no jacket on me. I actually used to have to dress kind of like that when I worked at Sears and from what I remember clip-ons were not allowed. I used to get my father to tie them and then I would just leave them tied  ;D Anyway, thanks for the fashion advice. I appreciate it. That's another one of the things that gay guys are supposed to be good at, but apparently I was not standing in that line either when things were being given out  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1673 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:49 am »
When I was a small boy my father hurt his left hand in an accident at work, so I was enlisted to tie his tie for him for church on Sunday, so that's how I learned to tie what Dad has always called a "double Windsor' knot, a nice balanced-looking knot. I once tried to teach a former boss how to tie it, and I failed miserably!  :laugh:

I have heard of situations where managers in factories have to wear ties--because they're managers--but they are also required to use clip-ons as a safety measure in case the tie gets caught in machinery.

My dad may not have taught me a lot of things, but he was certain that all adult males should know how to change a tire on an automobile and how to tie a necktie.  :laugh:

Unfortunately I don't know how to tie a bowtie.  :(
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #1674 on: July 21, 2009, 08:47:29 am »
I know how to tie that knot Jeff.. we had to wear the aschool tie for my 12 years of schooling so I'm a dab ahnd and will never forget - unless I go senile!

But I dont know how to tie a bow tie and in abnd where we wear one we use the normal pretied bow tie!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #1675 on: July 21, 2009, 08:50:09 am »
Since Catholic school had a uniform, I've been wearing ties since I was 5.  

I prefer a small knot and a dimple.  

As for the bowtie, it really is as easy as tying your shoes.  It's just awkward doing it aroundy your neck.  I think I learned it by putting the bowtie around my leg.

Offline jstephens9

« Reply #1676 on: July 21, 2009, 10:20:22 am »
Welll we have some talented tie tiers here  :) Well I think the one I learned to do will work. It is actually listed as the most common and is really not hard. I'm not sure why my father never taught me that. He did teach me the changing tire deal. I guess he figured I would never be the tie wearing type of something  :laugh: Anyway, it is off for the interview in a few minutes, and I am nervous.......very nervous. Oh well, it could be something worse I was doing  ;)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1677 on: July 21, 2009, 10:29:20 am »
I prefer a small knot and a dimple.

You have lovely dimples, Paul, but what's that got to do with tying a necktie?  

As for the bowtie, it really is as easy as tying your shoes.  It's just awkward doing it aroundy your neck.  I think I learned it by putting the bowtie around my leg.

Like a garter?  :laugh:

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #1678 on: July 21, 2009, 10:30:10 am »
Anyway, it is off for the interview in a few minutes, and I am nervous.......very nervous. Oh well, it could be something worse I was doing  ;)

I'm sure you'll do fine, Jack!  :D

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #1679 on: July 21, 2009, 11:16:36 am »
EDelMar and I were traveling south on Highway 287 ("Jack's Highway") from Laramie to Colorado when we saw something unusual--a passenger train going north. Now, we are accustomed to seeing 100-plus car coal trains on that track but not a passenger train! I later learned from Eric that it is the California Zephyr bound for Salt Lake City! Maybe soon you'll be on that train, friend!!
"chewing gum and duct tape"