Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8680403 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15360 on: February 04, 2018, 11:17:13 am »
It's neither, it is a soft drink  ;D

And let's not get started on leaving a tip. On trip Advisor we continually tell people not to tip when in Australia or New Zealand.  However on my sister's last visit to me, she asked for a "skinny flat white" and the barista told her she came from Australia. She had forgotten it is a "trim flat white" here. I just ask for a cappuccino, same everywhere.

We have the term "soft drink" here too, but the general public doesn't use it, that I know of.  I usually see that term on a menu.

I knew about the 'no tip' thing when I went to NZ and Australia, but I will admit that I tipped a cab driver once while there.   Matt had to leave to NZ earlier than expected from our stop in Australia, so I had to take the flight that was originally scheduled alone.  If I recall correctly, it was an early morning flight, so I had a wake-up call and a cab to the airport.

The driver was very friendly, chatted with me the whole way to the airport and was in such a good mood for such an early hour.  When I paid him I gave him a tip, and at first I thought he was going to refuse it, but I thanked him for starting my morning off in a good way, and he smiled and took it.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15361 on: February 04, 2018, 01:45:44 pm »
I would be surprised if he had refused it. Your accent would probably have hinted that he might expect one  ;D
I have often rounded up taxi fares. I rarely get a taxi but need one when I catch the bus to Christchurch. It can be between $20 and $22 but last trip we got green lights right across the city so it was just under $20. I gave him the $22 that was in my hand and he said "are you sure? "  ;D
I get a shuttle to the airport, it is much further (35 km) but only $20. (taxi would be $100)  I never give a tip.
In cafes and restaurants the waiters get very good award wages per hour although some of them may not work long hours per week. We want to discourage tipping there. Some now put a tip jar near the register but I always ignore it.
Taxes must be included in the quoted price. It is very complicated for us to have to have to deal with taxes added and then try and work out a tip. I got to dread going out for a meal when I was last in the States.
Then our smallest note is $5 and smallest coin is 10 cents. (5 cents in Australia but there is talk of getting rid of it.)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15362 on: February 05, 2018, 10:17:40 am »
I would be surprised if he had refused it. Your accent would probably have hinted that he might expect one  ;D

To  quote Matthew:  "I don't have an accent."   :laugh:  ;)

In cafes and restaurants the waiters get very good award wages per hour although some of them may not work long hours per week. We want to discourage tipping there. Some now put a tip jar near the register but I always ignore it.

Tip jars seem to be everywhere now.   When I go to NYC, I use a garage called "Park and Lock".  You drive in, get a ticket for your car, find your own spot, park, take your keys with you and leave.  When you return, you get the ticket validated, pay your fee, get your car yourself, and drive off.

One day, a tip jar appeared, and I always ignore it.  I drive myself in, find my own spot, park, and then get the car myself to leave.  The only thing the cashier does is ring up my purchase.  What exactly would I be tipping them for?

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15363 on: February 08, 2018, 06:55:08 pm »
Weekend is coming up!

It will be a busy one for me.  I'll have to get shopping done, and laundry, go to a dinner party at my aunt's and uncle's house, it's the last party there before they move, and then Sunday is a bowling function, and I need to get stuff done for Valentine's Day at work.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15364 on: February 09, 2018, 05:34:26 pm »
I get exhausted just from reading all that!

Good luck with it all Chuck!

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15365 on: February 09, 2018, 09:15:40 pm »
TGIF Bettermost friends!

Taking a few minutes to chill before I have to get things done......I'll cross off what I have done so far.

shopping
laundry
clean apartment
do dishes
put together basket for bowling banquet
dinner party at my aunt's and uncle's house
bowling function
Valentine's to make
put together treat bag for Valentines

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15366 on: February 09, 2018, 11:09:39 pm »
Valentine's to make

I love that you do all these nice things for holidays and other occasions!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15367 on: February 10, 2018, 12:47:16 pm »
Time for an update.

shopping
laundry
clean apartment
do dishes
put together basket for bowling banquet
dinner party at my aunt's and uncle's house
bowling function
Valentine's to make

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15368 on: February 10, 2018, 12:50:41 pm »
I love that you do all these nice things for holidays and other occasions!

My mom and dad (more my mom) always celebrated holidays, so it's ingrained in my behavior now. :laugh:

When I was a kid there were "official" Super Friends valentines,  and everyone at work knows I like super heroes and collect memorabilia, so as a joke I made my own Super Friends valentines on the computer, and printed them out at work, and laminated them so they'd be more durable.

I'll leave them at everyone's stations Tuesday evening, with the treat bags I put together.

Offline Sason

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Bork bork bork
« Reply #15369 on: February 10, 2018, 04:23:41 pm »
What's in the treat bags?

Düva pööp is a förce of natüre