Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8680634 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15510 on: April 15, 2018, 10:24:35 am »
That  was Chrissi......I remember that being in the poem I wrote at the event.

"Chrissi being scared of psycho-children in the woods"

:laugh:
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #15511 on: April 15, 2018, 10:30:58 am »
OMG, that's so long ago now :o

I remember children jumping out of the woods, seemingly coming from nowhere while the music of Psycho (the movie) played in the car. Thus Psycho children. A little bit creepy.

But what really had me scared was you, Chuckie! You made me laugh so hard I was scared I might pee my pants any second and all I could do was to whimper Stop it! with tears of laughter running down my face. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, and then the Yellowstone Ghost stories at Goff Creek! Idiot me asked why you're reading ghost stories from Yellowstone (of all places) while we're basically still in Yellowstone. You showed me the cover and the book's title was Yellowstone Ghost Stories. That was the whole point of it! We had a good laugh about that, too. :laugh: O0  Looking back it was some high-class entertainment to read out stories to a group at night! People should do that more often.

I think it was Henry who was freaked out by the three legged dog.

Oh yes, that was the story of the Psycho Children!  :laugh:  Thanks for refreshing my memory!

I do recall the ghost story night, we laughed so hard over the title.   I can still remember that.  I started to read a story, and you suddenly said, "Oh, do you have to read one of the stories from this area?  Can't you pick a different story?"  I remember looking at the cover of the book, showing it to everyone, and saying:  "Ummm......it's called "Yellowstone Ghost Stories".  and we all just burst into laughter!

One very vivid memory was when I gave you the Skittles!  BEST REACTION EVER!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15512 on: April 19, 2018, 10:10:02 am »
Hello Bettermost Friends!

;D

Have today off work, mom has a doctor's appointment today (nothing serious) and the only available time was when my dad was on his post, so I offered to take time off and take her.

Cold and grey out today, but tomorrow the sun is supposed to come out, and a warming trend is hitting.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15513 on: April 19, 2018, 02:54:38 pm »
In Australia (not sure about NZ) you can have family leave. Women with children make a lot of use of it. I always knew when one woman was going to take it because she would book all her classes for that day into the library. It made me furious as I looked after the class while the relief teacher read the newspaper.
When my mother moved house about 7 years before her death, my sister wanted me to help, so I took family leave for the only time in my career.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15514 on: April 20, 2018, 09:32:48 am »
We have that, but it generally involves tending to a sick family member and there's no guarantee of pay.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15515 on: April 20, 2018, 10:22:05 am »
We have that, but it generally involves tending to a sick family member and there's no guarantee of pay.

I'm blessed and I know it. My employer offers up to 10 days of Family and Medical Leave Act time off at full pay.

I've used 4 so far this year because of my dad, and I'll use another May 4 to go with him to an appointment with he gastroenterologist.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15516 on: April 20, 2018, 03:14:32 pm »
There is a limit but it did not concern me and has possibly changed. It wil be 16 years in October since I gave up permanent employment and almost 9 years since I did a day of paid (casual) employment ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15517 on: April 20, 2018, 06:54:12 pm »

Hello Bettermost Friends!

;D

TGIF!

Does anyone have good plans for the weekend?   I will be going to a friend's birthday party tomorrow evening.  Sunday is the usual, lunch with the family and laundry.

:)

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15518 on: April 20, 2018, 06:59:52 pm »
In Australia (not sure about NZ) you can have family leave. Women with children make a lot of use of it. I always knew when one woman was going to take it because she would book all her classes for that day into the library.  It made me furious as I looked after the class while the relief teacher read the newspaper.   When my mother moved house about 7 years before her death, my sister wanted me to help, so I took family leave for the only time in my career.

I'm blessed and I know it. My employer offers up to 10 days of Family and Medical Leave Act time off at full pay.

I've used 4 so far this year because of my dad, and I'll use another May 4 to go with him to an appointment with he gastroenterologist.

There is a limit but it did not concern me and has possibly changed. It wil be 16 years in October since I gave up permanent employment and almost 9 years since I did a day of aid (casual) employment ;D

I think it varies from company to company.

It's my understanding that my company doesn't fire you if you take an extended leave, however, your position is not guaranteed.   Example, if I were to take an extended family leave, when it was over, I'd still have a job at the bank, but my old position may be filled, and I'd be  put in a new  position.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15519 on: April 21, 2018, 08:55:25 am »

Just to clarify, when I said "we" I meant "U.S. citizens."

At my staff job, we get paid to care for a family member under FMLA the same way we get paid if we're sick, if we're on vacation, if it's a holiday. That is, we have X number of PTO days a year to be divided among all of those things.

For me, it's currently almost 8 weeks a year, plus a week carried over from last year (you can do that for a portion of the time).

It always seems like kind of a bummer to me, because some people might spend PTO hiking Machu Picchu and others might spend it sick. Still, I'll admit it does make sense. If the PTO were all divided into separate categories and you never take sick days, you might be resentful that you couldn't use them, or tempted to call in sick when you weren't. Or call in because you wanted to stay up late the night before watching the season finale of The Walking Dead.  ;)

These days are also used for holidays, which again makes sense because you might not celebrate the standard Christian holidays. Or you might not mind working on Memorial Day (and getting extra holiday pay), etc. Since it's a place where at least a few people have to work every day including holidays, it probably makes sense if you'd gladly work on Christmas but want time off at Passover or whatever.

Meanwhile, they set aside a small number of hours each year that you can accumulate and use if you have a longer term health problem or FMLA issue. Currently, I have <2 weeks' worth, so it wouldn't go far. Sometimes if people have really big problems coworkers will donate hours to them.

And then you can usually get unpaid extended leave, to write a book or do a year-long fellowship, for example. Or maybe to care for a loved one. I think they're pretty good about granting that, though once you use up your vacation days you don't get paid. I'm not sure what happens to your health insurance, etc., during that period. But I believe you get to go back to either your exact same job or at least one comparable.

There is a limit but it did not concern me and has possibly changed. It wil be 16 years in October since I gave up permanent employment and almost 9 years since I did a day of paid (casual) employment ;D

Brian, I'm curious -- could you briefly explain those terms? I think at one point I calculated that you're in your early 70s (correct me if I'm wrong). What was your permanent employment and how does the category of casual employment differ? What age did you leave each? Could you have continued in either if you'd wanted to?

I'm currently writing a lot about working into later life -- working longer at good jobs has health and cognitive benefits, but unfortunately the majority of people do it because they can't afford to retire. So I'm interested in how the system might be different Down Under. Where I assume things like saving for retirement or paying for medical expenses Medicare doesn't cover are less of a problem.