Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8680202 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15570 on: May 27, 2018, 11:30:14 am »

Family portrait of my dad's family at his parents' 50th wedding anniversary party, taken the same time as the picture before.

My mom had this portrait altered in two ways.  The first, you'll notice the image of a woman that looks like a picture hanging on the wall.  That is my Aunt Susan, who passed away from breast cancer before the anniversary.  Mom had the person she took the pic to for framing add Aunt Susan with photo editing.

Second, the plan was for all the sisters to wear gowns  for the party.  Aunt Helen (all the way to the left) was in a skirt, the only one in a skirt.  Everyone complained about it.  Mom had the person edit the pic so that the skirt was extended to a gown.

My paternal grandparents are in the front row.  My dad is in the back row in the almost "orange-ish" shirt, next to the superimposed pic of Aunt Susan.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15571 on: May 27, 2018, 11:31:57 am »
Last pic.

This is not a framed portrait.  The image is only a 5x7, in a small magnetic frame for a refrigerator.  I didn't take it out of the frame, because I didn't want anything to happen to it, the pic is over 75 years old.  My mom isn't in it, as she wasn't born yet.

It's a pic from a bbq that my maternal grandparents attended.  My grandfather is the man in the center,in  the suspenders and tie.  My grandmother is on his right (our left).  This was my grandfather's family.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15572 on: May 27, 2018, 05:41:45 pm »
Well, disasters have decided to follow me today.

:laugh:

After last night's baking disaster, I went to mom and dad's to visit and do laundry.   Mom was having an issue with getting something to print on the computer, so I told her I'd look at it for her while the laundry was going.   In the middle of me fixing the issue, the washer stopped, so mom says:

"Oh, you keep working here, and I'll put your work clothes in the dryer."

She goes off to do that, and I'm working on the issue for her.  Suddenly I hear:  *thud*  "Oh shit!"

Apparently the thud was mom knocking an open bottle of bleach over and splashing my work clothes.   Devastation = 5 ruined work shirts, and 1 ruined pair of slacks.   I have a bbq to go to at 2:00 Monday, so I will now be getting up early and shopping so I have something to wear for work on Tuesday.

::) ::)

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15573 on: May 27, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
Yikes! Looks like you will be hitting those Memorial Day sales! NEVER leave a bottle of bleach open, anywhere! is the lesson. But, sometimes it's impossible to juggle everything ("If I had three hands, I could!")

Thank you for posting those photos. So very Italian! I see you in your maternal grandmother and in your dad.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15574 on: May 28, 2018, 11:09:30 am »
Those are great, Chuck! I love old photos. I have a bunch hanging in my study. One is of a soldier in what looks like a Civil War-era tintype or whatever they're called. I have no idea who he is. I also have a photo of five people that looks, from their clothing, to be from around the turn of the 20th century. I have no idea who those people are, either, although I do remember vague stories about a cousin of my grandmother's who was a laudanum addict. I think she is the teenage girl in the photo.

My grandfather was a longtime newspaper editor in Cedar Rapids, IA, so I have some great ones of him taken by staff photographers. Also, a famous photographer of the 1950s or so took a whole series of gorgeous photos of my grandfather that were supposed to run in Life Magazine as part of a feature on people across the country. His section was called "Civic Minded Businessman" :laugh:.

I stumbled upon them online a couple of years ago and was dying to get copies to share with my brother. Alas, the photos are copyrighted. As I recall, if they ran in the magazine I could request a copies at a reasonable price. But since they didn't, I'd have to pay to get rights -- individually for each photo! -- and the price would be like $200 apiece. I tried calling photo shops to see if they could pull the image from the website and they were kind of doubtful it would work out well, and anyway they may be prohibited by copyright law.

Here's one sample. Check out the phone. The page won't even let me copy it to post the photo here (at least not with my usual procedures).  http://artsandculture.google.com/asset/civic-minded-business-man-harry-boyd-of-cedar-rapids-iowa/6AGXWT8Ugf-GdQ?ms=%7B%22x%22%3A0.5%2C%22y%22%3A0.5%2C%22z%22%3A8.971625471800408%2C%22size%22%3A%7B%22width%22%3A2.620702511773941%2C%22height%22%3A1.2375000000000003%7D%7D

One final story of grandfather pix. A professional photographer got a picture of him and my uncle at a baseball game. My grandfather is wearing a fedora and watching the game. On his left, closer to the camera, my uncle is eating ice cream and looks to be about 10 or 12.

Years on years later, completely coincidentally, I happened to go to a baseball game with my family and brother's family, where I took a picture of my son sitting next to my brother. My brother is wearing a baseball cap and watching the game. My son is on his left, closer to the camera, eating ice cream. He's approximately the same age as my uncle was in the previous photo.

Most amazingly of all, the kids' ice cream poses are almost identical -- holding the container in their left hand, holding a spoon with a bite of ice cream in their right hand, poised to take the bite.

I had the recent photo redone in B&W and hung them side by side. They are so eerily matching you'd think I set the photo up on purpose, but I didn't.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15575 on: May 28, 2018, 11:29:30 am »
I loved your mom's response when you posted about the bleached clothes on FB, Chuck! She sounds fun.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15576 on: May 28, 2018, 12:10:30 pm »
The disasters continue to follow me this weekend.

::)

I went to the store to get new clothes, and cupcakes for the BBQ I'm going to.  When I got home, the car starts making a rattling noise, like someone kicking a tin can down the street.  I pull into my parking spot, and get out of the car.  In the middle of the parking lot is what looks like a cover to something that fell off the bottom of my car.

::)

Of course, my mechanic is closed today, so I have to take the car in tomorrow and work from home for the day.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15577 on: May 28, 2018, 12:11:34 pm »
I loved your mom's response when you posted about the bleached clothes on FB, Chuck! She sounds fun.

Oh, she's a hoot alright.

:laugh:

Glad you and Lee liked the old pics!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15578 on: May 30, 2018, 06:36:59 pm »
The disasters have ended.

:)

I picked up my car yesterday, and to repair it and change the oil, my mechanic only charged me $40.00.

;D

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15579 on: May 31, 2018, 09:15:07 am »
The disasters have ended.

:)

I picked up my car yesterday, and to repair it and change the oil, my mechanic only charged me $40.00.

;D

I hope good things will come in threes, too!