Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 3100408 times)

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #16030 on: March 07, 2019, 10:32:44 am »
I've been amazed, just in the past month or two, at the explosion of frozen vegetable products replacing pasta, rice or potatoes. I've tried mashed cauliflower a couple of times in situations where I might normally use mashed potatoes or polenta and it's delicious! And the other night I made frozen riced-cauliflower fried rice with vegetables.

I've seen mashed and riced cauliflower in the frozen food section of the supermarket where I shop. I love cauliflower, but I haven't felt inclined to try it mashed or riced; I've had no idea what to do with it. Simply as a vegetable/side dish, I'd just as soon have it un-mashed or un-riced, but these are interesting suggestions.

I don't have mashed potatoes very often, but I love brown rice!
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16031 on: March 07, 2019, 11:47:23 am »
I've seen mashed and riced cauliflower in the frozen food section of the supermarket where I shop. I love cauliflower, but I haven't felt inclined to try it mashed or riced; I've had no idea what to do with it. Simply as a vegetable/side dish, I'd just as soon have it un-mashed or un-riced, but these are interesting suggestions.

You can use it the way you'd use mashed potatoes or rice, except with cauliflower you're getting a vegetable at the same time. And far fewer carbs, which I try to avoid.

For the fried cauliflower rice with vegetables, I used frozen riced cauliflower with vegetables already mixed in and packaged with that purpose in mind. I fried it in peanut and sesame oil, added shredded chicken and a sauce made from the following: soy sauce, rice vinegar, garlic and maybe a touch of that ginger that comes in a tube, sriracha. I was initially going to add chopped onion and bell pepper but got lazy, decided it didn't need it and, in fact, it didn't.

The mashed cauliflower could go with something like meatloaf or pot roast or chicken or spaghetti sauce or ... well, pretty much anything, I guess.

My son really likes both, and although he likes to eat fairly healthy he also spends about 12 hours a week at the gym so doesn't have to worry about carbs or calories. He's also fairly picky and a bit snobbish about convenience foods. So for him to pronounce them "bomb" is saying something.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #16032 on: March 07, 2019, 12:31:07 pm »
I've also had pasta made from chick-peas that was very delicious.
Too much to do. . .I don't have time to get old!

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #16033 on: March 11, 2019, 09:17:13 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy Monday, if there is such a thing!

I spent the day home from work, on a sick day.  Last week one of my coworkers came in sick, and the wonderful woman shared her germs with everyone.

Bless her heart.   >:(

I could've  probably worked from home, but I wanted to be off in  case I wanted to take a nap.  I ended up doing that, and slept for three hours during the day.

I'm  going back to work tomorrow.  I'm still  not 100%, but I feel better than I did earlier.  I think after another good night's sleep, I'll feel even better.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16034 on: March 11, 2019, 10:47:01 pm »
I spent the day home from work, on a sick day.  Last week one of my coworkers came in sick, and the wonderful woman shared her germs with everyone.

Bless her heart.   >:(

God love her!  :laugh:

They call that "presenteeism," coming to work when you're so sick you should stay home.

Today a woman who sits not far from me at work had a horrible, dry, hacking cough. I hope she keeps it to herself.

I hope you're feeling better soon.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16035 on: March 12, 2019, 10:07:39 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Went back to work this morning.....still wasn't 100%, but felt much better, and couldn't justify staying home.   I'm feeling even better now, so I know I'm on the mend.

;D

Was able to get caught up on everything, and leave on time.  That's always a plus.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #16036 on: March 12, 2019, 10:10:42 pm »
God love her!  :laugh:

They call that "presenteeism," coming to work when you're so sick you should stay home.

Today a woman who sits not far from me at work had a horrible, dry, hacking cough. I hope she keeps it to herself.

I hope you're feeling better soon.  :)

I am feeling much better.....I think I'll be back to 100% by Thursday, latest.

I also hope the hacking woman keeps the germs to herself.   I don't know how it is at your office, but at mine we all have laptops and the ability to work from home, so there's really no reason to come into the office sick.  So when someone does it, and then gets others sick, it's really annoying.

I don't know how much PTO time everyone gets at my office, but I know for my time with the company, I get between 5-6 weeks to be used as vacation time or sick time, so there's no reason to go to work sick.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16037 on: March 13, 2019, 09:17:58 am »
I also hope the hacking woman keeps the germs to herself.   I don't know how it is at your office, but at mine we all have laptops and the ability to work from home, so there's really no reason to come into the office sick.

That's the way it is, here, too, but if I'm too sick to come into the office, I'm not about to work at home.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16038 on: March 13, 2019, 09:18:47 am »
I get between 5-6 weeks to be used as vacation time or sick time, so there's no reason to go to work sick.

Unless you want to take a long vacation! Or unless you get really sick, God forbid, and need the time later.

I'm not defending people who go to work sick, especially if they can work from home and not take PTO. But I wish companies would separate sick days and vacation days. Mine also lumps them altogether like that.

Online Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #16039 on: March 13, 2019, 11:43:36 am »
I'm not defending people who go to work sick, especially if they can work from home and not take PTO. But I wish companies would separate sick days and vacation days. Mine also lumps them altogether like that.

Ours was that way, and then the company went to a "lump" system. We were told the company had to do this because of a new city ordinance. (Don't ask me why or how the city has the authority to regulate employers in this way within its own bounds. I don't know the answer to that. It just does.)

But doing it this way simplifies record keeping for the company. Formerly, we had two separate time codes for reporting sick time vs. vacation time. Now the company bean counters only have to deal with one PTO code. It saves the bean counters time, and time is money.

I don't have a problem with having all PTO being lumped together because it also saves me having to keep track of sick time vs. vacation time.

It just seems simpler all around to me to have one PTO rather than sick and vacation.