Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8905422 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17840 on: July 06, 2023, 02:33:43 pm »
Hiya!  No reason to move the conversation!  ;D

I was thinking it was funny to come here and read about potato 'crisps'.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17841 on: July 06, 2023, 08:15:29 pm »
Oh! Since Jeff's question was just about food deserts in general, I googled to see if SNAP dollars can pay for meal kits and got this answer:

"Because home meal kits from the likes of Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef, and Top Box send subscribers partially-prepared food ingredients to be prepared at home they are EBT eligible. However, a company needs to be approved by the USDA to accept payments with SNAP benefits."

There are other options too. People can band together and form a food co-op, they can start little bodegas or produce carts, they can get transportation assistance from agencies to go buy food, they can get free seeds to grow their own food, etc. But the best solution would be for grocery stores to make sure their stores are reachable by all neighborhoods of a city.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17842 on: July 07, 2023, 10:17:27 am »
"Because home meal kits from the likes of Blue Apron, Hello Fresh, Home Chef, and Top Box send subscribers partially-prepared food ingredients to be prepared at home they are EBT eligible. However, a company needs to be approved by the USDA to accept payments with SNAP benefits."

They'd probably represent a lot of a household's total SNAP dollars, though, right?

There are other options too. People can band together and form a food co-op, they can start little bodegas or produce carts, they can get transportation assistance from agencies to go buy food, they can get free seeds to grow their own food, etc. But the best solution would be for grocery stores to make sure their stores are reachable by all neighborhoods of a city.

At least a few of those are a lot to ask of people who are poor, likely not well-educated, and possibly working 2-3 jobs. But that would be a good project by a nonprofit. And in fact I have heard of things like that on a small scale. Or neighborhood gardens tended by volunteers who distribute the produce to low-income families.

Another possibility is ordering from a service that delivers less-than-perfect food (e.g., vegetables too malformed to sell in a grocery store) for a lower price. One is called, fittingly, Imperfect Foods. I've thought about trying that myself.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17843 on: July 07, 2023, 11:00:34 am »
They'd probably represent a lot of a household's total SNAP dollars, though, right?
Let's just say there are ways around the perceived high price. When you sign up, you get up to 18 free meals. Portions are generous...I could eat a meal three times rather than just once. Also, subscribers can donate meals.

At least a few of those are a lot to ask of people who are poor, likely not well-educated, and possibly working 2-3 jobs. But that would be a good project by a nonprofit. And in fact I have heard of things like that on a small scale. Or neighborhood gardens tended by volunteers who distribute the produce to low-income families.
Food banks and such are working on larger and larger scales. I've visited the Western Slope facilities of Food Bank of the Rockies. During harvest season, they have trucks that go through the fields and orchards, harvesting whatever the growers can't or don't want to pick. They have processing facilities and big warehouses with freezer rooms. They are able to feed people in several states.

Another possibility is ordering from a service that delivers less-than-perfect food (e.g., vegetables too malformed to sell in a grocery store) for a lower price. One is called, fittingly, Imperfect Foods. I've thought about trying that myself.
One of the first places I visit at the grocery store is the shelf of imperfect produce. Often it's the only place you'll find ripe bananas, avocadoes, and other produce!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17844 on: July 07, 2023, 11:23:39 am »
Food banks and such are working on larger and larger scales. I've visited the Western Slope facilities of Food Bank of the Rockies. During harvest season, they have trucks that go through the fields and orchards, harvesting whatever the growers can't or don't want to pick. They have processing facilities and big warehouses with freezer rooms. They are able to feed people in several states.

That used to be called gleaning. (See: The Old Testament book of Ruth.)

One of the first places I visit at the grocery store is the shelf of imperfect produce. Often it's the only place you'll find ripe bananas, avocadoes, and other produce!

The supermarket where my dad shops frequently has a "day old" rack for baked goods. They're perfectly good, and the prices are much reduced.

From time to time we see news stories about neighbors in distressed neighborhoods banding together to grow their own vegetables. Unfortunately these stories usually make the news because these gardeners are essentially "squatters" on vacant but owned lots, and they're about to be evicted because the property owner wants to use the land for something. Sometimes the owner is even the city.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17845 on: July 07, 2023, 12:48:11 pm »

Mine doesn't have that!

The supermarket where my dad shops frequently has a "day old" rack for baked goods. They're perfectly good, and the prices are much reduced.

That I have seen, at bakery counters.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17846 on: July 07, 2023, 01:17:40 pm »

Mine doesn't have that!

Mine either.

(I have to get bananas when they're just right. If they're too unripe, they "disagree" with me. If they're too ripe, they're just gross.)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17847 on: July 07, 2023, 02:31:38 pm »
(I have to get bananas when they're just right. If they're too unripe, they "disagree" with me. If they're too ripe, they're just gross.)

If they're somewhat too ripe (like, banana-bread ripe) you can freeze them and use them in smoothies. If they're completely black and mushy then yuck.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #17848 on: July 07, 2023, 03:14:53 pm »
If they're somewhat too ripe (like, banana-bread ripe) you can freeze them and use them in smoothies. If they're completely black and mushy then yuck.

I don't know anything about making banana bread, so I don't know how ripe that is.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17849 on: July 07, 2023, 04:56:47 pm »
I don't know anything about making banana bread, so I don't know how ripe that is.

So if it's got brown spots it's no good for eating on its own, IMO. It can make banana bread or smoothies, as I said. If it's totally brown and black, I wouldn't use it at all. I like mine when they still have a tinge of green at the top, but not when they're so green they're hard to peel.

I don't like banana bread, so I have no dog in this race, but if you ever wanted to make some it's pretty simple. My son used to make chocolate-chip banana bread in grade school.