Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8905380 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #17870 on: July 25, 2023, 08:48:04 pm »
I've never heard of her!  LOL   I just checked her on on Wiki.....damn.

Lidwina (Lydwine, Lydwid, Lidwid, Liduina of Schiedam) (1380?1433) was a Dutch mystic who is honored as a saint by the Catholic Church. She is the patron saint of the town of Schiedam, of chronic pain, and of ice skating.

Lidwina is also thought to be one of the first documented cases of multiple sclerosis. At the age of fifteen, she suffered a serious injury while ice skating and became progressively disabled. Hendrik Mande wrote for her consolation a pious tract in Dutch. She fasted frequently and acquired a reputation as a healer and holy woman. Upon her death in 1433, her grave became a place of pilgrimage.

Lidwina was born in Schiedam, Holland, one of nine children. Her father was a laborer. At age 15, she was ice skating when she fell and broke a rib. She never recovered and became progressively disabled for the rest of her life. Her biographers state that she became paralyzed except for her left hand and that great pieces of her body fell off, and that blood poured from her mouth, ears, and nose. Today, some posit that Saint Lidwina is one of the first known multiple sclerosis patients and attribute her disability to the effects of the disease and her fall.

That was the context in the New Yorker, an article about M.S. and the search for treatments for it.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #17871 on: August 11, 2023, 03:46:12 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Is everyone doing well?

As of 5:00 this evening, I'll be on stay-cation.

;D

I won't be doing much of anything, just getting some stuff done.

Monday the car is going to the shop for routine maintenance.  On Thursday I'll be with my parents, visiting an aunt and uncle, and some cousins.

I had misplaced the attachments for my vacuum.  It works, but I don't have the attachment that can be used to clean furniture, or get into corners.   They've been missing for a while.  I ended up ordering a Dirt Devil Scorpion, a portable vacuum,  to use it to clean the furniture.   The day after I got it and used it, I found the attachments.

:laugh:

That's ok!   It's easier to use the smaller vacuum to get other jobs done, and use the big vacuum for the full carpet. 

I also ordered one of those immersion blender / hand held blender things, and plan on using it one day this vacation.

Other than that, things are status quo over here.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17872 on: August 11, 2023, 05:13:01 pm »
I don't have the attachment that can be used to clean furniture, or get into corners.   They've been missing for a while.  I ended up ordering a Dirt Devil Scorpion, a portable vacuum,  to use it to clean the furniture.   The day after I got it and used it, I found the attachments.

That reminds me of the time when my then-husband and I were vacuuming some carpet together (this was the only time I ever remember us doing some routine housecleaning together) and I asked him to hand me the crevice tool. He started unzipping his jeans! I cracked up.  :laugh:
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17873 on: August 11, 2023, 06:31:31 pm »
That reminds me of the time when my then-husband and I were vacuuming some carpet together (this was the only time I ever remember us doing some routine housecleaning together) and I asked him to hand me the crevice tool. He started unzipping his jeans! I cracked up.  :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:   that's great!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #17874 on: August 15, 2023, 10:59:06 am »
How's the stay-cation coming along? Hope you are enjoying it!
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17875 on: August 16, 2023, 03:20:39 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

The week is flying by, mid point of my vacation.

Monday I cleaned up the bathroom and kitchen, and noticed I was short on cleaning supplies.

Tuesday I was a slug.   :laugh:  I slept in and did nothing all day long.

Today I had a successful shopping trip.  Got new sneakers, some new pairs of sweat pants, sponges and cleaning stuff for the kitchen, and new baking sheets to replace my really used ones.  I also took out the vacuum with the found attachment  (crevice tool) and got into the edges around the apartment, and gave the rug a quick go over.

Thursday I'll be visiting an aunt and uncle (dad's brother and sister-in-law) and some cousins with my parents, and then visiting a friend in the evening.

Friday I'll be borrowing my parents' rug shampooer, to give the apartment a shampoo that is overdue.

Saturday and Sunday are still open.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #17876 on: August 16, 2023, 03:23:29 pm »
Don't you just love that term, crevice tool?  ;D
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #17877 on: August 16, 2023, 03:26:12 pm »
Quote from: Jeff Wrangler link=topic=13511.msg724717#msg724717date=1692213809
Don't you just love that term, crevice tool?  ;D

I do!  especially since Katy told her story!    :laugh:

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #17878 on: August 16, 2023, 04:38:10 pm »

I do!  especially since Katy told her story!    :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.