Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8889962 times)

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #6590 on: August 09, 2009, 11:45:16 am »
Hiya Kelda, that was last night, when the Lincoln Center Theater played Brokeback on the big screen.

The theater is doing an Ang Lee retrospective.

sounds good!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline CellarDweller

• A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
« Reply #6591 on: August 09, 2009, 11:47:24 am »
It was!  ;D

Our movie on the big screen, and a healthly lunch before hand, and then burgers afterwards.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6592 on: August 09, 2009, 04:20:56 pm »
Where did you go for burgers, Chuck?  Glad you enjoyed the movie and drinkin and talkin and all.  8)

On my way home I saw a notice in Barnes & Noble's window that Ang and James Schamus are appearing there this Tuesday at 7:00 pm to talk about "Taking Woodstock."  So if you really want to, you might still be able to get that book signed!  8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6593 on: August 09, 2009, 06:30:49 pm »
Where did you go for burgers, Chuck?  Glad you enjoyed the movie and drinkin and talkin and all.  8)

On my way home I saw a notice in Barnes & Noble's window that Ang and James Schamus are appearing there this Tuesday at 7:00 pm to talk about "Taking Woodstock."  So if you really want to, you might still be able to get that book signed!  8)

Oh!  Thanks for the info!

Which Barnes and Noble?

We went to where you suggested.  PJ something, I think.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6594 on: August 09, 2009, 07:43:12 pm »
I found the address, Meryl......after searching for a bit on Google and the Barnes and Noble site.

;D

I think I'll have to go there!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #6595 on: August 09, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »
I found the address, Meryl......after searching for a bit on Google and the Barnes and Noble site.

;D

I think I'll have to go there!

It's the Lincoln Center one, right?
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6596 on: August 10, 2009, 06:33:44 am »
It's the Lincoln Center one, right?

Yup!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6597 on: August 10, 2009, 09:46:35 am »

Hiya BetterMost friends!!!!

Hope that everyone is ready for Monday!

Much to do at work, I'll peek in when I can!

Offline dejavu

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #6598 on: August 10, 2009, 09:12:18 pm »
Hi, Chuck!

First chance I've had to peek in here since before Alberta.

Good luck if you go to get your book signed tomorrow.
Jack's from Texas.
Texans don't drink coffee?

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #6599 on: August 11, 2009, 09:27:45 pm »
Well, I'm back from the Q&A on "Taking Woodstock" with Ang Lee & James Schamus.

I got there almost 2 1/2 hours early.  There were 4 other people on line already.  I was told to stand in line, and if I wanted to buy the book, that would ensure me premium seating in the room.  I was there, Oscar Consideration book in hand.  I had it signed by Diana Ossana in L.A., and I was determined to get it signed by Ang & James.

After about an hour, the line had grown and two announcements were made.  The first was that they were about to open the register to buy the book.

The second was that Ang and James had a later appointment.  As a result, only books purchased today would be signed.  No other books, DVDs, or memoribilia.

SHIT!   >:(

I bought my book, and entered the room.  I was able to get a seat front and center. 

Ang and James were personable, funny, and informative.  They talked about the movie, the struggles they had, and some funny stories along the way.

Three bits of info:

Ang found out about "Taking Woodstock" when he was out promoting "Lust, Caution".  The author of the book was on the same show as he, and he chatted up Ang, and gave him the book.  He decided  to option the book for a movie.

The funniest story James told:  When showing the film at previews he had hoped they "nailed it" (the experience).  After a showing, James was approached by a viewer who had attended Woodstock.  This was the convo:

Fan:  That movie was incredible!

James:  Thank you!

Fan:  You almost nailed it!  There was just one thing missing.

James:  Really?  What?

Fan:  I can't say.....

James:  Tell me, I won't be offended.

Fan:  The stentch!  Man.....after 3 days, I reeked, my girlfriend reeked, the latrines reeked.....the stentch!

:laugh:

The funniest story that Ang had to say was in response to a question from the audience:

Q:  "Woodstock happened when you were 13, and in Taiwan.  Of course there was a lot of drug use during that show...and I was wondering if you needed to do anything "special" to prepare for shooting.

(audience laughter)

A:  "Well, I had thought about that.....and thought it wouldn't hurt... and decided against it.  Then my sons who are 25 and 19 told me 'you know dad....a lot of drugs were used....it couldn't hurt...ya know." and then my wife came to me and said the same thing, and I looked at them and said "Hey.....I didn't need a sex change to do the women's films I've done, I don't need to do that for a film on Woodstock."

:laugh:

When it came time for the signing, I wanted to make an impression, but without being able to really talk to them, or show my Oscar book, I wasn't sure how to do it.  Then an idea hit.   I took off my button down, and walked up in my black t-shirt.  When James was signing my book, he looked at me and smiled.  I pulled my sleeve up to reveal my cowboy hats tattoo, and said "Brokeback got me good."

His eyes popped, and he said "Oh Wow.  Ang....you have to see his tattoo!"  Ang turned and looked at the tat and was surprised, and then signed my book.

So I either became a dedicated fan, or a psycho fan.

I manged a few pics with my cell phone...not the best....but....

« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 05:43:50 pm by CellarDweller »