Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8681172 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15850 on: December 01, 2018, 02:49:52 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

I hope everyone is doing well!

I had originally planned to get home after work last night, and just relax, but I ended up going to Target and getting a "plaid-ish" throw blanket to use over a table,  which would be a place for me to put out my Rudolph plush collectibles for the holiday.

Once I did that, I decided to put them out that night, which meant moving the table to make room for the tree, and the tree ended up getting taken out of the closet, which led to the windows getting decorated.  LOL

The windows and plushes are up as of last night, the tree is going up and getting decorated later today.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15851 on: December 01, 2018, 02:51:08 pm »
They say 40% of "doggy bag" meals are never eaten. In my house, 100% are eaten!!

My stepmother was telling me a story recently in which she and her husband went out to dinner and took home a doggy bag with absolutely no intention of eating it. Like, never in a million years would they eat food carried home from a restaurant. OK, I thought, to each their own, but then why take it home at all? Are they worried the restaurant staff would feel hurt if they didn't?

I wonder how often the food is bagged up, and then left behind.  LOL  I've had that happen a few times myself!

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15852 on: December 02, 2018, 05:22:13 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Greetings from rainy and grey New Jersey!

The Christmas decorating is done at the apartment, and now some shopping and laundry is done. 

Now, I'm catching up online, and will start on the Christmas cards now.  I've already received a few cards, so I need to get mine out.  The overseas ones will go out on Monday, and then I'll start on the US ones.

;D

Been watching some Christmas movies on the Hallmark network, and changed the station in the car to the Lite FM network, which is playing Christmas music 24/7 now.  ;D

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15853 on: December 03, 2018, 09:52:48 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Busy day at work  today, but I managed to get everything done and leave on time.

However, once I got home, stress went up!  :laugh:

The TV wasn't working, and I was getting a message about the box not being connected right.  I checked all the cables, and then called my provider to get an appointment for a fix.  They (of course) had to put me through my paces again, and had me disconnect and reconnect wires while I was on the phone with them, before scheduling the service call.

After an hour of this mess, I got the service call I wanted.

::)

They will be here tomorrow between 2:00 - 4:00.  Thankfully, I have the day off for a cleaning at the dentist, so I can get that taken care of, and then come home for the repair.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15854 on: December 04, 2018, 09:38:52 am »
The TV wasn't working, and I was getting a message about the box not being connected right.  I checked all the cables, and then called my provider to get an appointment for a fix.  They (of course) had to put me through my paces again, and had me disconnect and reconnect wires while I was on the phone with them, before scheduling the service call.

After an hour of this mess, I got the service call I wanted.

They did that to me recently and it ended in disaster. DirecTV wasn't working and I knew it was nothing to do with the inside connections because the satellite dish guy had been there a few days earlier and it still wasn't working. Still, when I called to set up a repair they put me through my paces.

So I was fiddling around per their instructions behind my son's TV, which was lacking a good stand, I accidentally knocked it onto the (carpeted) floor. There was no actual crack in the screen, but the image behind the screen was shattered. The TV was ruined.

My son had bought the TV with his own money, so I said I'd replace it for one of a comparable price. Well, TV prices have dropped so far in recent years that for what he paid for a 32" some years ago (on Black Friday!) I could now get a 52". Which I did, but that turned out to be a mistake because it was too big for the room. But we waited too long to return it, so he just kept it.

The saddest part is that when he finally opened the box to set it up, sliding it out onto the carpeted floor, and turned it on ... the picture in the big one was shattered! Right out of the box! It's possible he didn't even do anything to it himself. But now it's too late to return it.

Luckily, my ex-husband had an extra TV, which my son is now using, so that part's fine. But now we're stuck with this huge broken TV and I don't know what, if anything, we can do with it.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #15855 on: December 04, 2018, 11:25:58 am »
What a GDBOAUS if there ever was one! In retrospect, you should have used the extra money to buy a better stand! (I think they make TVs kind of tipsy now on purpose.) In my municipality, there is a day once a year when you can take old electronics in to be recycled, and only have to pay $5, if that. Otherwise, places charge $25 and up to recycle that kind of waste.
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15856 on: December 04, 2018, 03:03:33 pm »

Hiya BetterMost friends.

Well, it's 2:00 here, and I have't heard from the tech guy yet to work on the cable box, but they said he'd be here between 2:00 and 4:00, so I have time, especially since it just turned 2:00.

Dental appointment went well, and the teeth are officially clean now.  I do have one small cavity, and since I'm on vacation next week, I'm going back on Monday to have it taken care of then.  After that, I should be done with the dentist until my 6 month cleaning in June.

It's awful quiet in my apartment without the TV.  LOL

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15857 on: December 04, 2018, 03:05:57 pm »
They did that to me recently and it ended in disaster. DirecTV wasn't working and I knew it was nothing to do with the inside connections because the satellite dish guy had been there a few days earlier and it still wasn't working. Still, when I called to set up a repair they put me through my paces.

So I was fiddling around per their instructions behind my son's TV, which was lacking a good stand, I accidentally knocked it onto the (carpeted) floor. There was no actual crack in the screen, but the image behind the screen was shattered. The TV was ruined.

My son had bought the TV with his own money, so I said I'd replace it for one of a comparable price. Well, TV prices have dropped so far in recent years that for what he paid for a 32" some years ago (on Black Friday!) I could now get a 52". Which I did, but that turned out to be a mistake because it was too big for the room. But we waited too long to return it, so he just kept it.

The saddest part is that when he finally opened the box to set it up, sliding it out onto the carpeted floor, and turned it on ... the picture in the big one was shattered! Right out of the box! It's possible he didn't even do anything to it himself. But now it's too late to return it.

Luckily, my ex-husband had an extra TV, which my son is now using, so that part's fine. But now we're stuck with this huge broken TV and I don't know what, if anything, we can do with it.

What a GDBOAUS if there ever was one! In retrospect, you should have used the extra money to buy a better stand! (I think they make TVs kind of tipsy now on purpose.) In my municipality, there is a day once a year when you can take old electronics in to be recycled, and only have to pay $5, if that. Otherwise, places charge $25 and up to recycle that kind of waste.

Katy, what a horrible story!  That really sucks!  I would be so pissed if that would have happened to me!

Lee is right about electronic recyclables.  Look at your local town's website, and search on recycling.  I'm pretty sure most towns have the dates listed, and the locations of when and where to drop this stuff off.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15858 on: December 04, 2018, 07:25:12 pm »
I now have TV!  However, the process falls into the "nothing is ever easy" category.

Techie was supposed to be here between 2 - 4, but hung up on a job and didn't get here until almost 5:00.

Then, it was an issue that someone had cut my wire, so the wires that were here were of no use.  They had to run a wire from my bedroom (where their box is) around the base of the living room, and to my TV.  It was either that, or move the TV to the bedroom.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15859 on: December 05, 2018, 09:22:58 am »
Katy, what a horrible story!  That really sucks!  I would be so pissed if that would have happened to me!

Lee is right about electronic recyclables.  Look at your local town's website, and search on recycling.  I'm pretty sure most towns have the dates listed, and the locations of when and where to drop this stuff off.

Yes, we have something like that, too. Last summer when I was downsizing I disposed of a bunch of electronics that had been piling up in the basement. I don't think it was very expensive, but you have to drive way out into the country to do it.

But I wish there was something I could do about the brand new broken TV. I hate to have to just toss it. I think I'll try calling a TV repair guy I happened upon when I was first shopping for TVs. I have a feeling that the way they make disposable electronics these days there's probably no hope, so that's the saddest part.

That, plus listening to my son react as he unpacked and set up the TV and realized what had happened.  :'(