Author Topic: Cellar Scribblings  (Read 8734417 times)

Offline CellarDweller

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • A city boy's mentality, with a cowboy's soul.
Re: Cellar Scribblings
« Reply #15920 on: January 10, 2019, 09:36:34 pm »
Hopefully I can go out, the doctor said just 1 week before driving, but I do not think I will be up to cleaning my house and entertaining even if it is just coffee, tea and bought cakes.   For my 70th I invited my walking group back to the house after a walk, probably about 20. My sister searched the internet and found a private house not far away from me where the lady made cupcakes to order. Of course I had to pick them up.

I hope that you have a speedy healing, and that you are able to have your friends over for tea and cakes.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''
'Voulez-vous, will you kiss my dick?'
Will you play my record? One-track mind!

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15921 on: January 12, 2019, 02:27:45 pm »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Happy weekend everyone!   Hope that you are are relaxing and having a good day.

Went out for some groceries today, that I'll use on Tuesday.  At my job instead of giving you something for your birthday, the birthday person brings in something.  Usually it's breakfast,  but this year I decided to do something different, and bring in lunch.

I went out today and got a bunch of sandwich rolls, mayo, mustard, oil, vinegar, and large bags of chips.  On Tuesday morning before I go to work, I'll stop at the store and get fresh lettuce and tomato, and a large selection of fresh cold cuts, and everyone can make sandwiches for lunch.

I've also decided that I will give myself a present for my birthday, but not until June.  I'm going to go buy a new car.   My current car is 15 years old, and starting to show her age.  It's time for an upgrade.   I've not decided what one to get, but I'm leaning towards a Chevy.  My current car is a Chevy, and she's lasted this long, and has had no major problems.  Still has original  transmission and engine, the only replacements have been basic maintenance,  brakes, shocks, filters, stuff like that.  The radiator was replaced once.

I do like how the 2019 Chevy Trailblazer looks, but I'd have to drive one to see how she handles.   This is the model and color I would want.

Tell him when l come up to him and ask to play the record, l'm gonna say: ''Voulez-vous jouer ce disque?''

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #15922 on: January 12, 2019, 03:06:27 pm »
I've also decided that I will give myself a present for my birthday, but not until June.  I'm going to go buy a new car.   My current car is 15 years old, and starting to show her age.  It's time for an upgrade.   I've not decided what one to get, but I'm leaning towards a Chevy.  My current car is a Chevy, and she's lasted this long, and has had no major problems.

My third car, and the only new one I've ever owned, was a Chevy, and it never gave us a bit of trouble. I should never have gotten rid of that car, but at the time I was young and stupid and wanted something more sporty.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15923 on: January 12, 2019, 03:40:47 pm »
My third car, and the only new one I've ever owned, was a Chevy, and it never gave us a bit of trouble. I should never have gotten rid of that car, but at the time I was young and stupid and wanted something more sporty.

:laugh:

I'm past the "young and stupid" age, and I think I've safely passed or suppressed the "midlife crisis" feelings, so I won't be getting anything "sporty".  I do want a model that is a little bigger than the one I have now.  I feel like anyone who sits in the back seat is a little cramped.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15924 on: January 12, 2019, 03:46:51 pm »
I've owned two new cars, three inherited used cars, and two purchased used cars, including the car I drive now. I bought it when it was three years old.

It's still working pretty well seven years later. The body doesn't look great (multiple fender-benders, like the time the plastic garage cans attacked the side of my car and the time a telephone pole ran into the bumper. But functionally, it's fine, and still has low miles (90,000) for its age (10 years). I believe that's less than Chrissi said she drives in a year! In Europe, where gas is probably still kind of expensive.

It's a Mazda 3, which is semi-sporty for an ordinary compact car. But it dents more easily than, say, SUVs.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15925 on: January 12, 2019, 04:21:54 pm »
The only used car I have owned was my first one which my parents gave me in lieu of a 21st birthday party. It was a 1958 car which i was given in 1965 but literally owned by a little old lady. I did buy a 2nd hand Kombi camper in London in 1974 but ended up replacing the engine in Germany then taking it back to London to sell.

I bought my Ford Fiesta Hatchback https://www.carsguide.com.au/ford/fiesta/price/2009/zetec?id=BlDM3MjS    when I moved to NZ in January 2010 so almost 9 years and it is yet to pass 70,000 km (43,500miles) I have driven it from top to bottom of NZ twice but it sits in the carport for days on end as I prefer to catch the bus unless going to the supermarket or hiking. On Tuesday I drove over 200km, nearly half on gravel roads with 3 women passengers and they enjoyed the day.  It is officially a 5 seater but I have only put 5 in for a short distance in an emergency. No dents yet. Very fuel efficient which is important here as petrol is over $2 per litre (NZ$7.60 per gallon or US$5.20)

I would like to replace it with an electric vehicle. they are becoming quite popular but still expensive and not good for touring yet.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15926 on: January 13, 2019, 10:56:12 am »
Hiya BetterMost friends.

Clear blue skies are the order of the day here in my area.  Originally we were predicted to get some snow, but I guess that was wrong.  Now there are predictions for snow next weekend.  Of course, that's when family and friends have scheduled birthday celebrations.  LOL

Quiet day scheduled here today, just laundry to be done.  Other than that, it should be a relaxing day.

Offline CellarDweller

« Reply #15927 on: January 13, 2019, 11:02:11 am »
I've owned two new cars, three inherited used cars, and two purchased used cars, including the car I drive now. I bought it when it was three years old.

It's still working pretty well seven years later. The body doesn't look great (multiple fender-benders, like the time the plastic garage cans attacked the side of my car and the time a telephone pole ran into the bumper. But functionally, it's fine, and still has low miles (90,000) for its age (10 years). I believe that's less than Chrissi said she drives in a year! In Europe, where gas is probably still kind of expensive.

It's a Mazda 3, which is semi-sporty for an ordinary compact car. But it dents more easily than, say, SUVs.

I've had numerous cars through the years, but only one new one, which is the one I have now.  All the used cars seemed to have their share of problems when I owned them.  The new car was the one that seemed to require the least amount of work.  I'm hoping this will hold true for the next car. 

The only used car I have owned was my first one which my parents gave me in lieu of a 21st birthday party. It was a 1958 car which i was given in 1965 but literally owned by a little old lady. I did buy a 2nd hand Kombi camper in London in 1974 but ended up replacing the engine in Germany then taking it back to London to sell.

I bought my Ford Fiesta Hatchback https://www.carsguide.com.au/ford/fiesta/price/2009/zetec?id=BlDM3MjS    when I moved to NZ in January 2010 so almost 9 years and it is yet to pass 70,000 km (43,500miles) I have driven it from top to bottom of NZ twice but it sits in the carport for days on end as I prefer to catch the bus unless going to the supermarket or hiking. On Tuesday I drove over 200km, nearly half on gravel roads with 3 women passengers and they enjoyed the day.  It is officially a 5 seater but I have only put 5 in for a short distance in an emergency. No dents yet. Very fuel efficient which is important here as petrol is over $2 per litre (NZ$7.60 per gallon or US$5.20)

I would like to replace it with an electric vehicle. they are becoming quite popular but still expensive and not good for touring yet.

Electric cars are becoming popular, but I'm not sure I'd get one at this point.  If this car also lasts 15 years, I'll only be 65.  If I'm still able to drive at that point (I'm assuming I would be, my dad is 80 and still is driving, but only during daylight hours) perhaps the next car will be electric.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #15928 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:07 pm »
Electric cars are becoming popular, but I'm not sure I'd get one at this point.  If this car also lasts 15 years, I'll only be 65.  If I'm still able to drive at that point (I'm assuming I would be, my dad is 80 and still is driving, but only during daylight hours) perhaps the next car will be electric.

Or perhaps you won't need a car by then. I keep hearing that self-driving cars are going to be common any day now. And when they are, I assume some will operate like Uber only cheaper because there's no driver to pay. You summon one with your phone, have it take you to work (or wherever) and summon another to go home.

I'm looking forward to that day and to saying bye-bye to car ownership and all of its hassles. Not to mention the massive amount of real estate occupied by parking lots, parking ramps and garages.

Offline brianr

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15929 on: January 13, 2019, 04:13:18 pm »
LOL
I turn 75 in March so have to renew my licence. In NZ driving licences last 10 years but they only gave me a licence for 9 years when I moved here in 2010. I have to go for a medical but do not expect any problems. I  will then have a licence for another 5 years.