Author Topic: Do You Support The Death Penalty?  (Read 168223 times)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« on: October 01, 2007, 05:56:18 pm »
I just heard a comment on television claiming over 70 percent of Americans support the death penalty. I can't believe this number is so high! I'm interested in finding out how people here on Bettermost feel about the death penalty. I'm interested in finding out not only how American Bettermostians feel about it, but also how our members from other countries feel about execution too. So, I've divided the poll into separate sections for Americans and members from other countries.

Please leave a comment if you want, but it's fine if you'd rather remain anonymous. Personally I am against the death penalty. I always have been and I wish it would be abolished. My home state of Indiana believes in execution. Lethal injection is used in Indiana. The electric chair was used here until the early 1990's. I feel it is cruel and unusual punishment, and capital punishment should be abolished regardless of the method used.

What do you think? 
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
Re: Do You Support The Death Penalty?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2007, 06:40:42 pm »
A very clear NO from me!

Can of worms, David, can of worms..... 
But a necessary one!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2007, 07:08:38 pm »
I am completely opposed to the death penalty and have operationalized that in my life by refusing to live in a death penalty state. Maine is one of 12 states in the US without a death penalty statute; in addition, it is outlawed in the District of Columbia.

It is barbaric and inhumane.

Maybe you should think about moving, David.

L
« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:24:38 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Brokeback_Dev

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • Love is a force of nature
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2007, 07:59:43 pm »
maybe its because i don't know any different because i live in a state that "fries" criminals of awful hateful crimes but i say yes to the death penalty.  I'm sure many would and will disagree with me, but before a dear woman who got away, people thought Ted Bundy was a nice guy, and he was a hateful serial killer. He wasn't a nice guy.  He pleaded for his life in exchange for giving more names of more woman he killed and where their bodies could be found.  i do have mixed emotions about that, since I'm sure the parents of the victim's would have liked to know, but he killed many many woman and they fried his ass. We call the penitentiary where they "fry" these killers Sparky.   I must sat that i do disagree with the celebration that took place outside the prison after he was electrocuted.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2007, 08:19:31 pm »
Absolutely not.

IMO, capital punishment says this to criminals: If you disagree with someone or don't like what they've done, it's OK to kill them. Well, that's what the criminals thought in the first place. Capital punishment is another contribution to the culture of violence.

It is never OK to take another human's life, except in self defense. (This includes many wars, although I realize that in some wars the answers to what constitutes "self defense" becomes very gray and confusing because it might mean defense of an entire country rather than an individual.)

The death penalty has not been shown to have any deterrent effect on crime. It HAS been shown to be racially discriminatory. And it contributes to a culture in which violence is seen as acceptable.

I can't say I feel terribly sorry for some of the killers who get executed. But I do feel sorry for a country or state that believes this is an appropriate punishment.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2007, 11:50:15 pm by ineedcrayons »

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2007, 08:57:55 pm »
What will you do with child rapists---they are not able to be rehabilitated with any guarantees. So---just make them have life with NO possibility for parole? Because I'm not going to trust them around children ever again. And you know--from the news that mothers will sometimes take in a man over the welfare of her children, so you can't always trust the moms to protect the kids.

I'm iffy on the death penalty. I don't think it should be used when there is no DNA, or confession, or eyewitness account, but then you get into the mistaken identity with the eyewitness. It's a dilemma that I go back and forth with at different times.

I definitely don't believe that everyone can be rehabilitated. I think some judges are too lenient with sentencing at times, too.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Lynne

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • "The world's always ending." --Ianto Jones
    • Elizabeth Warren for Massachusetts
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2007, 09:08:35 pm »
I am opposed to the death penalty for some of the reasons others have mentioned.

It is without question not applied equitably across racial and socioeconomic lines.  I don't think capital punishment deters capital crimes.  And if the goal of the death penalty is to protect society from violent offenders, then that goal can be accomplished by a life sentence without parole just as well.  To me it seems that the death penalty is vengeance, not justice.

And I guess I have an inherent distrust of the 'system.'  I don't think it's worth what I call the moral risk that even ONE innocent person be executed.  There have been many stories - I should go look for articles - of people being freed from prison when new technology can be applied to old evidence, etc.

Some people think that disapproving of the death penalty means that you have more concern for criminals than victims, but I disagree there too.  Capital punishment doesn't bring back the loved ones that people have lost - the criminal dies, sure, but the violence is perpetuated and creates more victims.  Now the family and friends of the criminal have lost a loved one violently too.  I would prefer my tax dollars be spent intervening in the formative years and deterring people from turning to lives of crime - solve the problems of poverty and drugs and treat the mentally ill and you've gone a long way toward eradicating violent crime. 

And who are we, as a society, to ask doctors, wardens, and the scores of other people involved in executions to actually *do* that job?!  That's reprehensible, IMO.

If I die as a victim of a crime, I don't want the perpetrator put to death (and I need to put in my will so my wishes will at least be considered if there is a conviction).
"Laß sein. Laß sein."

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2007, 10:41:10 pm »
Pro Death Penalty Rallies

Anti Death Penalty Protests

Which U.S. States Support The Death Penalty? Illustrative Maps.

Several Of The Execution Methods Currently Used In The United States

Electric Chair (Old Sparky)

Lethal Injection Table

Gas Chamber

(Images copied from various websites on the Internet.)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2007, 10:47:11 pm »
I am opposed to the death penalty for some of the reasons others have mentioned.

It is without question not applied equitably across racial and socioeconomic lines.  I don't think capital punishment deters capital crimes.  And if the goal of the death penalty is to protect society from violent offenders, then that goal can be accomplished by a life sentence without parole just as well.  To me it seems that the death penalty is vengeance, not justice.

And I guess I have an inherent distrust of the 'system.'  I don't think it's worth what I call the moral risk that even ONE innocent person be executed.  There have been many stories - I should go look for articles - of people being freed from prison when new technology can be applied to old evidence, etc.

Some people think that disapproving of the death penalty means that you have more concern for criminals than victims, but I disagree there too.  Capital punishment doesn't bring back the loved ones that people have lost - the criminal dies, sure, but the violence is perpetuated and creates more victims.  Now the family and friends of the criminal have lost a loved one violently too.  I would prefer my tax dollars be spent intervening in the formative years and deterring people from turning to lives of crime - solve the problems of poverty and drugs and treat the mentally ill and you've gone a long way toward eradicating violent crime. 

And who are we, as a society, to ask doctors, wardens, and the scores of other people involved in executions to actually *do* that job?!  That's reprehensible, IMO.

If I die as a victim of a crime, I don't want the perpetrator put to death (and I need to put in my will so my wishes will at least be considered if there is a conviction).

I always found it strange that most of the people who support the death penalty also consider themselves Evangelical Christians. I thought one of the most important rules of Christianity was "Thou Shalt Not Kill"?

I feel this is yet another example of "Christians" bending and shaping the rules of their religion to suit their needs.

I fully agree with everything you said Lynne. Thanks for your comments!  :)

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2007, 10:54:34 pm »
I am completely opposed to the death penalty and have operationalized that in my life by refusing to live in a death penalty state. Maine is one of 12 states in the US without a death penalty statute; in addition, it is outlawed in the District of Columbia.

It is barbaric and inhumane.

Maybe you should think about moving, David.

L

Not only is Indiana a death penalty state, but Federal executions also take place here. Timothy McVeigh was executed in Terre Haute, Indiana.

(Image copied from a website on the Internet)

« Last Edit: October 02, 2007, 07:25:14 am by MaineWriter »