Author Topic: Beans and Crazies by montana crows  (Read 58258 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: Beans and Crazies by montana crows
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2007, 07:31:04 pm »
It was a very interesting story with a lot of ranching details in it, but there were a few things that just didn't fit for me, the bullwhip, and the fist-fucking, and both of them didnt work for me due to what I thought were believability issues - it was clear that the author didn't do much research into either - bullwhips do a whole lot more damage than the story indicates they do, and fist penetration is a whole lot more difficult.  By the time I got to the second topic was when I called it a day.
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
  • "you bet"
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2007, 05:55:44 pm »
.... It's nice to have a discussion going here to help work through some of the more difficult themes that come up in the story.

Yes, well said, Amanda - and why I'm glad you started this thread.  Thanks!

SPOILERS

OMG, this was just beautiful. A heart warming chapter. I love the description of Ennis, getting the fire going in the bunkhouse. Ennis needs to feel the warmth of the fire and Jack's love to be able to talk to Jack about his parents' death. Great writing!

Oh, me too, Fabienne.  That description was gorgeous and so was the way Jack comforted Ennis.   I really hope they've turned a corner here by talking about Ennis's guilt issues and they can bury that damn whip once and for all!

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2007, 02:21:06 pm »
Yes, well said, Amanda - and why I'm glad you started this thread.  Thanks!

SPOILERS

Oh, me too, Fabienne.  That description was gorgeous and so was the way Jack comforted Ennis.   I really hope they've turned a corner here by talking about Ennis's guilt issues and they can bury that damn whip once and for all!

Marie

**Spoilers**

Thanks Marie!  :-*  And, yes, this revelation in this recent update about some of the roots of Ennis's guilt was very enlightening... It's very interesting to tie it to his parents' death and not just to questions of sexuality.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2007, 02:05:17 pm »
Next chapter!

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1643963.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

In her author's note she called  this "Just a little something."  But I thought it was a whole lot of everything.  Another chapter that really highlights what a talented writer she is.   She is really, reall skillful at packing an emotional punch with just a few perfectly chosen words.  The last paragraph is awesome, but this was my favorite part:

“Shitaree,” he said, lighting another smoke and passing it over. “Wha’d I do to deserve that?”
“Nothin’,” Ennis said, soft. “Bein’.”

It's great to see that Ennis now seems to want to find a way out of the prison he's built for himself, and Jack is finding the right words to push him over the wall.  A really lovely, hopeful chapter.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2007, 02:19:52 pm »

It's great to see that Ennis now seems to want to find a way out of the prison he's built for himself, and Jack is finding the right words to push him over the wall.  A really lovely, hopeful chapter.

Marie

Beautifully said Marie! And very true. I enjoyed this new chapter immensely.  :)
'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2007, 11:59:51 pm »

OK, so I just finished reading this update.  And, yes, it's quite a relief to see Ennis maybe making some breakthroughs... and mostly all on his own (with some subtle prompting from Jack).

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #36 on: November 25, 2007, 05:49:50 pm »
Update!  :)

http://community.livejournal.com/brokebackslash/1690052.html?#cutid1

SPOILERS

God, I love Jack.  Making sure to tell Eric about Ennis's guilt - always looking out for his man. 

And I feel so sorry for Eric and Joanna.  What a terrible situation.  War really is hell - and it doesn't end once you leave the battlefield. 

Marie

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2007, 01:09:15 am »
Ok I'm still reading the story, but not reading any of the comments in this thread yet.

I was reading on the plane home from DFW over the weeknd, and I'm up to the part where Jack's mom jes' got him to come back home from the Twist ranch.  And I left the printed out story on the plane!   :laugh:  I had only brought a few chapters with me, and someone's gonna pick it up and start readin' about Jack and Ennis fisting eachother!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Have to reprint it now...

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2007, 01:16:45 am »

Oh dear,, hahah, hope the FBI doesnt show up at your door.....Just kidding..................... :-X

Beautiful mind

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2007, 02:08:48 pm »
Ok I'm still reading the story, but not reading any of the comments in this thread yet.

I was reading on the plane home from DFW over the weeknd, and I'm up to the part where Jack's mom jes' got him to come back home from the Twist ranch.  And I left the printed out story on the plane!   :laugh:  I had only brought a few chapters with me, and someone's gonna pick it up and start readin' about Jack and Ennis fisting eachother!  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Have to reprint it now...

:laugh:   :laugh:  Well, that'll wake up some weary traveler.  it's a lot more interesting than the in-flight magazine, that's for sure!  Thanks for the laugh!

Marie