Author Topic: Get fit and lose weight!  (Read 130535 times)

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Get fit and lose weight!
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2009, 03:25:35 pm »
         Well?   we all get bigger with time,...   unfortunately.  Hence the profusion of diets these days/

I'm not sure it is natural to get bigger in time. Even Alma's grandparents were described as "little." My parents shrank over the years. Lots of people lose weight as they age rather than gaining it.

Life is a bell curve. First you get larger, then you get smaller.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2009, 03:29:26 pm »
I believe four oz. is considered a portion of steak. I think Americans have gotten way off-kilter in their ideas about portion sizes. For example, I believe it wasn't until the late 1970s or so that McDonald's started offering medium- and large-size french fries. People just ate the regular size, which is the current small size, and that was fine. But then McDonald's realized they could sell more fries if they offered larger sizes, because while many people felt piggy ordering two smalls, they were comfortable ordering mediums or larges. Now a small seems like something made for a toddler.

And yet, somehow, a "Quarter-pounder" sounds larger than "four ounces."  ???

I saw a magazine article about a guy who lost weight simply by reducing the size of his plates from 12 inches to 9 inches. Apparently he has written a book about it. He moved into a 1940s house, and found his 12" dishes didn't fit in the cupboards!

For years now I've ordinarly used just "luncheon" plates. Maybe it would help me to lose if I started eating dinner off a bread-and-butter plate.  ???

I could relate, because I moved into a smallish 1940s house, and bought a 76-inch sofa, and the delivery guys couldn't get it in the front door. I had to exchange it for a 72-inch or something. But some furniture stores simply don't sell sofas at less than 80 inches. Now this week, I've been shopping for a new refrigerator. The placement of the cupboard above the fridge limits me to one smaller than 67 inches high. Those are very  difficult to find, these days -- I finally found a few, but they have to be special ordered. The current fridge is, I'm guessing, maybe 20 years old, and is less than 60" high, which practically constitutes a dorm-size compact these days.

Heh. And good luck trying to find one without an ice maker. ...  :-\
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2009, 05:20:50 pm »
Heh. And good luck trying to find one without an ice maker. ...  :-\

Why would you specifically want one without an ice maker?  ???

Offline Kelda

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Zorbing....
    • Keldas Facebook Page!
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2009, 10:45:22 am »

I would like to share my most valuable exercise tip now. I decided that when I want to read in the next few months, I would do it while exercizing. Thus, I took my new edition of the New Yorker down to the clubhouse and perused it while walking on the treadmill and using the eliptical machine! It made the time go by very quickly, and before I got bored, I had run 7.5 miles!!

I got a treadmill delivered on Friday - my new fitness regime and spent the whole of the Mamma Mia movie (plus trailers) - 1hr 45mins on the treadmill. I was going 4.5km per hr most of the time, so did just under 8 km.

I dont run as I have bad knees but I love walking!
http://www.idbrass.com

Please use the following links when shopping online -It will help us raise money without costing you a penny.

http://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/idb

http://idb.easysearch.org.uk/

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #104 on: January 16, 2009, 09:19:16 pm »
It's easy to find a refrigerator without an ice maker.  You just have to buy low end.

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2009, 11:17:44 am »
It's easy to find a refrigerator without an ice maker.  You just have to buy low end.

This is true. I saw some while shopping.

I still don't know why you'd want that, though. If you absolutely oppose having your fridge make ice, just don't hook it up to a water line!

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #106 on: February 25, 2009, 03:35:08 pm »
Please join me in giving up a vice for Lent!! I am not particularly religious and barely even know what Lent is all about, but I love the European custom of austerity at this time of year. The vice that I am foreswearing is wine. There are a lot of empty calories in it and a glass of wine seems to go straight to my midsection!! (Yes, that includes the beer and hard stuff too--no more dry Manhattans until Easter!!) There are 100 calories in a 5-oz glass of wine, so this is an easy way to cut out 100-200 calories a day. Plus, I have more energy!!

Lent doesn't start until after Mardi Gras, so I'll give you some time to think about which vice you want to give up. However, since I've already made my decision, I'm starting now this weekend!!

It's decision time, everyone! Time to kiss your favourite vice goodbye until Easter! (BetterMost surfing is NOT a vice!!)
"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #107 on: February 25, 2009, 04:48:57 pm »
Why would you specifically want one without an ice maker?  ???

My building was built--and the kitchens were laid out--back in the days before ice makers were common. There is no water line near the place in the kitchen where the refrigerator stands. It would be kinda dumb to buy a refrigerator with an ice maker when there is no water line to which to hook it.  :-\

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #108 on: February 25, 2009, 04:57:28 pm »

This is true. I saw some while shopping.

That was not my experience here when I replaced the refrigerator. All the reputable appliance dealers--even Sears--had were models with ice makers--because they cost more so the consumer spends more. You had to work at finding a model without an ice maker.

I still don't know why you'd want that, though. If you absolutely oppose having your fridge make ice, just don't hook it up to a water line!

See preceding post.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #109 on: February 25, 2009, 05:00:35 pm »
It's decision time, everyone! Time to kiss your favourite vice goodbye until Easter! (BetterMost surfing is NOT a vice!!)

No more chili for supper on Fridays.