Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2564895 times)

Offline Lumière

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Q" is Quebec
« Reply #1690 on: November 20, 2007, 07:19:00 pm »

==comment==
[imdb]: Story of a revolt against England in 1830s Canada.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"R" is The Red Badge of Courage
« Reply #1691 on: November 20, 2007, 07:46:32 pm »
==comment==

Steven Crane's Civil War story, starring Audie Murphy, the most decorated soldier in WWII.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"S" is A Streetcar Named Desire
« Reply #1692 on: November 20, 2007, 08:29:04 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"T" is Texans Never Cry
« Reply #1693 on: November 20, 2007, 09:06:41 pm »
Or drink coffee...

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"U" is Under the Gun
« Reply #1694 on: November 20, 2007, 09:31:13 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"V" is Vier im Jeep, Die
« Reply #1695 on: November 20, 2007, 09:55:32 pm »
==comment==

In English, Four in a Jeep. A fairly recent commentary from IMDb:

Recently, during a discussion of films made a few years after the end of WW2, I mentioned Four In A Jeep. No one had ever heard of it. I recall seeing it in the early 50s and being impressed by it--possibly because of the times--it was the Cold War, and I was very political then--leftie to the core. This storyline of 4 soldiers of different nations--former allies, patroling a conquered city was just my cup of tea. I found it or wanted to find it-- a plea for peace. The main story itself, trying to reunite 2 lovers torn apart by war and a difficult peace, was secondary to the 4 men themselves; especially the American (Ralph Meeker who was getting recognition in Hollywood,) and the Russian, Voroshenko. Because of the Cold War, they could have made Voroshenko the villain, instead he became for me the pivotal character torn between instinct (perhaps love) and duty. He and the American sergeant were pitted against each, but developed respect toward the other rather than hatred. I found this film to be a good companion piece to The Third Man--same period, many similar situations. Too bad it will probably be seen by so few--no DVD for this one--a real pity!

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

"W" is When Worlds Collide
« Reply #1696 on: November 20, 2007, 11:07:16 pm »

I loved this book, and the movie has good reviews on IMDb: Astronomers discover two planets coming Earth's way that will destroy our planet. Time is needed to do the unthinkable: create a rocket ship that will fly 40 or so people to one of the planets passing by to keep the legacy of mankind alive. This is an innovative, thought-provoking science fiction film. Little action is in the movie. It could have focused on the despair and panic people would have endured with such news, but instead the film, deftly directed by Rudolph Mate, focuses on the group of scientists and people involved trying desperately to fight against their greatest enemy - time. Calendars have pages ripped off showing the urgency. Sure, the science and logic in some of the physics of the ship are a bit ludicrous, but everything is presented in a very believable manner. Acting leads Richard Derr and Barbara Rush do workmanlike jobs while supporting players Larry Keating, Hayden Rourke, John Hoyt and Frank Cady(Sam Drucker from Green Acres) really give the film some life. Most importantly the film has you thinking about its premise well after having seen it. What would our world do with such news? How would we determine who would go? What would they find once they got there? Many scenes in the film stand out: the flooded vision of New York City with skyscraper tips jutting out of the water and the last scene of a group of space pilgrims landing on a new home for humankind surveying their new world with wide-eyed optimism, hope, and fascination. This is a sci-fi gem; one not to be missed.

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"X" is The African Queen
« Reply #1697 on: November 21, 2007, 01:05:51 am »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

"Y" is You're in the Navy Now
« Reply #1698 on: November 21, 2007, 02:30:22 am »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Z" is Ziggy Elman's Orchestra and the Sportsmen
« Reply #1699 on: November 21, 2007, 08:16:59 am »
==comment==

I couldn't find a picture from the movie, but here's a picture of Ziggy!