Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2568421 times)

Offline dot-matrix

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
"Y" is The Yearling
« Reply #1910 on: December 01, 2007, 05:21:09 am »

Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Z" is Ziegfeld Follies
« Reply #1911 on: December 01, 2007, 08:54:46 am »

==aside==oilgun

Now it's my turn to pout! I wanted the Wildcard X to play...yes a B movie but not The Big Sleep! Who knew there were 3 such excellent B movies in 1946? Oh well, I should be flattered that people get up at 3:21 am to play my game, even if it means missing the wildcard turn!

Next up, Round 1945!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1945
« Reply #1912 on: December 01, 2007, 09:02:08 am »
Let's go for a drive and play

Round 1945!

==aside==

Anyone know what movie this picture is from? LOL!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"A" is And Then There Were None
« Reply #1913 on: December 01, 2007, 09:21:43 am »

From: http://einsiders.com/reviews/videorisks/andthentherewerenone.php#
And Then There Were None (1945) - Payback is a Bitch, or so the old saying goes. While the good book says that vengeance belongs to the Man Upstairs, taking our own revenge is the stuff of good drama. Agatha Christie's novel "Ten Little Indians" has been filmed numerous times, but never better than as 1945s "And Then There Were None." One of the greatest whodunits ever filmed, "And Then There Were None" is a frisky, funny, scary film which proves that "payback IS a bitch!" Especially if you are the object of the vengeance.

===ASIDE===

That's Dana Andrews in The Best Years of Our Lives (1946).  I don't know the woman's name.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"B" is Brief Encounter
« Reply #1914 on: December 01, 2007, 09:55:45 am »
==comment==

This is a wonderful movie. Directed by David Lean.

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • There But For Fortune
"C" is Children of Paradise
« Reply #1915 on: December 01, 2007, 10:37:54 am »

=comment=
Voted the "Best French Film in History" by the French Film Academy in 1990.

=aside= Leslie
The picture is from "The Best Years of Our Lives."

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Aside: Comment
« Reply #1916 on: December 01, 2007, 10:48:36 am »
==comment==memento, oilgun

Yes, that's "The Best Years of Our Lives." The woman in the photo is Teresa Wright. See, I managed to sneak my B movie in after all! LOL

Everyone--I am off to see historic houses in Paris Hill, Maine, with my mom, so I will be offline most of the day. I'll trust you all to hold down the movie fort while I am gone!

Have fun and see you all later,

Leslie
GameMistress

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"D" is...
« Reply #1917 on: December 01, 2007, 03:17:32 pm »
==Comment==
A very low budget but wonderfuly satisfying Noir. 

[...]
Besides, Detour has got what a lot of expensive movies don't -- a terrific, focused script that grabs our attention from the outset and doesn't let go. Neal and Savage are a great pair and obviously have rehearsed their scenes to perfection. Even the purple prose -- Shakespearean references, no less -- is sold with conviction. Roberts' sullen resignation to every indignity that comes along, and his unerring talent for expecting the worst from life, is perfectly conveyed by Neal. Savage is as shrill as a raw nerve and as jarring as fingernails on a chalkboard, and her Vera is a disheveled, unredeemed tramp. This at a time when the movies were selling us refined 'lost women' who dressed like movie stars. Vera intimidates the way real people do, with wheedling half-threats.
[...]

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
"E" is The Enchanted Forest
« Reply #1918 on: December 01, 2007, 03:46:12 pm »

From movies.com:

A kindly old hermit who has lived in the California redwood forest for so long that he can commune with the birds and animals saves an infant after a train crash. He raises the child in the forest until the day comes when he reunites the boy with his mother and at the same time saves his beloved sylvan glade. An overlooked family gem from a minor studio.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"F" is Fury in the Pacific
« Reply #1919 on: December 01, 2007, 05:13:27 pm »
==comment==

From the Internet Archive: Fury in the Pacific is a 1945 documentary short film about a pair of World War II battles in the Pacific: the Battle of Peleliu and the Battle of Angaur. It was co-produced by the U.S. Army, U.S. Navy, and the U.S. Marines, and directed by a series of combat cameraman — of whom nine became casualties of the battles they were filming. The film is especially noteworthy for its praise of the fighting abilities of Japanese soldiers (a rarity for American propaganda during World War II), and its fast-paced editing.

You can watch it here:

http://www.archive.org/details/FURY.IN.THE.PACIFIC

It is 20 minutes long.