Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2565856 times)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"C" is Corregidor
« Reply #2000 on: December 07, 2007, 10:22:08 am »
==comment==

It seems fitting to play this today, since the movie opens with a wedding that takes place in Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"D" is The Deerslayer
« Reply #2001 on: December 07, 2007, 10:39:49 am »
Stars Yvonne DiCarlo.
From an IMDb user:  Yvonne decorates the forest. Nicely:D

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"E" is Edge of Darkness
« Reply #2002 on: December 07, 2007, 11:56:11 am »

A well-regarded film about the Norwegian resistance.  Also starring Ruth Gordon.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"F" is For Whom the Bell Tolls
« Reply #2003 on: December 07, 2007, 12:13:43 pm »
==comment==

Nominated for nine Oscars, including Best Picture, but only won one: Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Katina Paxinou)

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"G" is The Gang's All Here
« Reply #2004 on: December 07, 2007, 12:49:22 pm »

===Comment===
I take back what I said about the forties being a better decade than the fifties for film.  The ratio of bad to good movies seems about the same, if not higher, in the forties.

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"H" is Heaven Can Wait
« Reply #2005 on: December 07, 2007, 01:36:02 pm »

IMDb user comment:  Another Lubitsch masterpiece, Heaven Can Wait is in brilliant color. It is extremely well acted, charming, and in its own way, timeless. It takes place mainly around the turn of the century though it does transcend decades. It is the engaging story of wealthy would-be playboy Henry Van Cleeve, magnificently played by Don Ameche, whose heart is captured by Gene Tierney. Since he always had a bit of the rogue in him, and acted mischievously at times, upon death Henry goes directly to see Satan (played winningly by Laird Cregar) to accept his fate of eternal damnation. Thus, the story of his life is told to Satan via flashback in most ingenious fashion. I don't wish to give any more away. It is marvelous fare for the entire family. See it and revel in it.

(BTW, this has nothing to do with the Warren Beatty 1977 film, which was a remake of "Here Comes Mr. Jordan".)

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"I" is An Itch in Time
« Reply #2006 on: December 07, 2007, 02:00:07 pm »
==comment==

Another Looney Tunes cartoon, this one with Elmer Fudd having to give his dog a bath. For those who want to watch, it is available at YouTube (and now here!).

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-zA16E-_NY[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"J" is Journey into Fear
« Reply #2007 on: December 07, 2007, 02:38:49 pm »
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

"K" is Klondike Kate
« Reply #2008 on: December 07, 2007, 04:22:48 pm »
With Ann Savage and Tom Neal who would star again together in Detour 1945.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"L" is The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp
« Reply #2009 on: December 07, 2007, 04:26:44 pm »
==comment==

Another classic from "The Archers," Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger. The synopsis from the Criterion Collection:

The passions and pitfalls of a lifetime in the military are dramatized in Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger’s magnificent epic, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp. The film follows the exploits of pristine British soldier Clive Candy (Roger Livesey) as he battles to maintain his honor and proud gentlemanly conduct through romance, three wars, and a changing world. Vibrant and controversial, The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp is at once a romantic portrait of a career soldier and a pointed investigation into the nature of aging, friendship, and obsolescence.