Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2567721 times)

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • There's no reins on this one....
"W" is We've Never Been Licked
« Reply #2020 on: December 09, 2007, 01:49:17 am »

We've Never Been Licked is a World War II propaganda film produced by Walter Wanger and released by United Artists. Parts of the movie were shot on location at the Texas A&M University campus.

Army brat Brad Craig enters A&M with a chip on his shoulder which upperclassmen quickly knock off. Once adjusted, Craig falls in love with a professor's beautiful daughter, only to find she is in love with his roommate. In the meantime, Craig unwittingly associates with Japanese spies (one played by William Frawley of I Love Lucy) bent on stealing a secret chemical compound developed in the A&M Chemistry Department. Craig is drummed out of the Corps for being a suspected accomplice to the spies, but he then bravely infiltrates the spy network to sabotage the Japanese war effort. Many A&M traditions are referenced in this film.
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is Le Corbeau
« Reply #2021 on: December 09, 2007, 07:02:07 am »
Description from Amazon: A mysterious writer of poison pen letters known only as Le Corbeau (The Raven) plagues a French provincial town, and unwittingly exposes the collective suspicion and rancor that was seething beneath the community's calm surface. Made during the Nazi Occupation of France, Henri-Georges Clouzot's Le Corbeau was attacked by the right-wing Vichy regime, the left-wing Resistance press, the Catholic Church, and was banned after the liberation. Le Corbeau brilliantly captures the spirit of paranoid pettiness and self-loathing that turns an occupied French town into a twentieth-century Salem.

From an IMDb user: Clouzot has been called the French Hitchcock, but when Le Corbeau hit the screens in 1943 – released by a German production company during the Nazi occupation of France – he wasn't welcomed as warmly as the mischievous but harmless cherub across the Atlantic. its mordantly unflattering portrait of the French bourgeoisie was shunned as little short of treasonous.To be sure, Le Corbeau, like most of Clouzot's work (Diabolique, The Wages of Fear) seems to take Shakespeare's misanthropic Timon of Athens as inspiration for its outlook on humanity; it's certainly no tourist brochure for the French provinces

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"Y" is Young and Willing
« Reply #2022 on: December 09, 2007, 07:28:41 am »
There are two user comments on IMDb, one is very positive and the other very negative.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Z" is La Zia di Carlo
« Reply #2023 on: December 09, 2007, 10:08:33 am »
==comment==

A remake of a 1930 movie called "Charley's Aunt," which was based on a play of the same name, first produced in 1892.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1942
« Reply #2024 on: December 09, 2007, 10:12:27 am »
Without further ado...

Round 1942!
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Ellemeno

Re: ABCs at the Movies: 1943
« Reply #2025 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:07 am »
==comment==

A remake of a 1930 movie called "Charley's Aunt," which was based on a play of the same name, first produced in 1892.

Charley's Aunt is pretty funny.  We did the play in high school.  

Offline Ellemeno

"A" is Across the Pacific
« Reply #2026 on: December 09, 2007, 10:14:19 am »
Bogey as another Rick...

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"B" is Bambi
« Reply #2027 on: December 09, 2007, 01:27:56 pm »

==comment==
I never thought about when "Bambi" was made, so I was surprised to find it was before I was born.  It's the first movie I can remember that moved me to tears.  Cried like a sonuvabitch when Bambi's mom got shot.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"C" is Casablanca
« Reply #2028 on: December 09, 2007, 02:49:10 pm »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"D" is The Ducktators
« Reply #2029 on: December 09, 2007, 07:28:43 pm »

One of many cartoons poking at the Axis leaders.