Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2569228 times)

Offline memento

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • There But For Fortune
"M" is the Magnificent Ambersons
« Reply #2040 on: December 10, 2007, 05:51:11 pm »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"N" is Now, Voyager
« Reply #2041 on: December 10, 2007, 05:56:00 pm »

The very famous scene at the end, which everybody remembers:

The famous cigarette trick occurs in a tale of love between Charlotte Vale (Bette Davis), a middle-aged, withdrawn spinster from a wealthy Boston family who is transformed from an ugly duckling into a beautiful, self-assured woman, and a handsome, unhappily-married, suave European named Jerry Durrance (Paul Henreid). During a South American cruise, Charlotte discovers life and love when she meets him and they fall in love and have an affair. In their famous scenes, cigarette smoking becomes a sensual act. In the final scene of the film, he asks Charlotte once more: "Shall we just have a cigarette on it?" She responds breathlessly: "Yes, sir," holding out an opened cigarette box. He takes two cigarettes and puts them in his mouth, lights them both, and then hands one over to Charlotte. The film ends with Charlotte's most memorable line on the balcony. Although she knows Jerry will never leave his wife, they have found something far more enduring and happy: "And just think, it won't be for this time only. That is if you'll help keep what we have. If we both try hard to, to protect that little strip of territory that's ours...Oh, Jerry, don't let's ask for the moon. We have the stars." As the music swells, the camera moves between them and ascends above the trees to a starry night sky.

Another IMDb comment that I found interesting. It has been quite a few years since I have seen this movie, so I don't think I ever interpreted it this way...may be time for another re-watching.

Irving Rapper, one of Hollywood's gay directors, could not have made a gayer film than this and my view is not controversial: Hollywood did not allow overt films about homosexuality back then, unless the man was a fop and a much secondary character meant to be the butt of fag jokes. Writers and directors alike decided to somehow incorporate a gay element without making it clear off the bat and devised stories that were strongly symbolic in nature. And while Olivia Higgins Prouty's novel was not intended to be interpreted as such, her quoting of Walt Whitman's "Now voyager, sail forth to seek and find" is interesting when Whitman himself was homosexual. Plus, the added element of Charlotte Vale's damaged persona by her mother who forced her into total repression -- something very close to many gay men and women -- and her ultimate transformation into a complete person due to her inner strength has also been a recurring gay theme.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"O" is Once Upon a Honeymoon
« Reply #2042 on: December 10, 2007, 06:17:03 pm »
IMDb:  Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers are the best part of this movie. Even with a weak script, Grant is his usual insolent, witty, and charming self. Rogers is very good with a very flimsy character. This is one of those typical anti-Nazi war propaganda films that were prevalent during the war years. A little thin on plot but high on patriotism and anti-Hitler sentiment. The Germans are, at times, shown to be bumbling fools while also shown as the near conquerors Europe. The Baron, played masterfully by Walter Slezak, is both cunning and stupid.

There are some touching moments that revolve around the plight of the Jews, giving hints on their future, a bold statement in that day.

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
"P" is The Pride of the Yankees
« Reply #2043 on: December 10, 2007, 06:47:09 pm »

==Comment==
Yikes, somebody wants to get this round over with, lol!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"Q" is Quiet Please, Murder
« Reply #2044 on: December 10, 2007, 06:49:11 pm »
==comment==

from IMDb: A competent B-noir, with the interesting twist of being set in a library. George Sanders' erudite villain is an oily delight; otherwise it's a somewhat overwrought collection of hard-boiled detective film cliches.

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
"R" is Ride 'Em Cowboy
« Reply #2045 on: December 10, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

With a young Ella Fitzgerald!  Here she is singing "A-tisket, a-tasket"

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUYpUogn91U[/youtube]

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • There's no reins on this one....
"S" is Somewhere I'll Find You
« Reply #2046 on: December 11, 2007, 01:01:31 am »

Starring Clark Gable and Lana Turner, directed by Wesley Ruggles
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline Ellemeno

Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1942
« Reply #2047 on: December 11, 2007, 02:03:36 am »

With a young Ella Fitzgerald!  Here she is singing "A-tisket, a-tasket"

That was pretty interesting.  She starts out in the back of the bus, singing.  And stays there.  "Oh my God, it's that era, black at the back of the bus," I thought.  But then she strolled to the front, and I thought of what I've read about black musicians, even the most beloved and famous, not being allowed to stay in the fine hotels they performed in.  And by the end of the song, she's back in her seat in the last row of the bus, with a bemused, resigned expression on her face.

Offline Ellemeno

"T" is Tales of Manhattan
« Reply #2048 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:09 am »

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
Re: ABCs at the Movies: Round 1942
« Reply #2049 on: December 11, 2007, 09:10:55 am »

That was pretty interesting.  She starts out in the back of the bus, singing.  And stays there.  "Oh my God, it's that era, black at the back of the bus," I thought.  But then she strolled to the front, and I thought of what I've read about black musicians, even the most beloved and famous, not being allowed to stay in the fine hotels they performed in.  And by the end of the song, she's back in her seat in the last row of the bus, with a bemused, resigned expression on her face.

Astute observation, Elle.  I believe that was true of Ella's experience.