Author Topic: ABCs at the Movies: The Doubles Round!  (Read 2636956 times)

Offline oilgun

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Wildcard "X" is Eating Out (2004)
« Reply #3550 on: April 19, 2008, 12:14:11 pm »
From IMDb:
Not that bad! - I saw this movie even after reading all the horrible reviews. Expecting the worst, this movie really isn't that bad! It's a funny, light, fluff comedy. Everyone seems to have hooked-up with everyone in this tale of boy-wants-girl-who-wants boy-who-wants-boy. It's reminiscent of the teen comedies of the past decade, but with a gay twist. There are a lot of unspoken elements to the plot that add to the Ralston's of the gay world - such as the flamboyant "straight" boy who's girlfriend doesn't catch on. Caelb's oversexed ex-girlfriend is hysterical and under-used.

The much-hyped phone sex scene is very well done and will make most audience members (gay or straight, male or female) squirm their seat - and likely the reason this movie isn't rated. If you are going for the full-frontal male nude scene of Ryan Carnes and Scott Lansford, don't blink or you'll miss it! If you are looking for a fun way to spend 90 minutes, check out Eating Out. And stay for the hidden scene after the credits!

==ASIDE==
That's funny, his website says he's playing in Toronto.  I suppose he could be playing a different part...

http://www.philipbattley.com/

Philip Battley plays:  Frank Cheeryble, Mr. Snobb, Graymarsh, Mr. Blightly, Mr. Witittirley & Mr. Scaley!  You gotta love those Dickensian names!

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Re: ABCs at the Movies: I'm Feeling Sort Of...Meh.
« Reply #3551 on: April 19, 2008, 01:05:36 pm »

==ASIDE==
Elle, here are some images of Supergirl.  I saw it when it came out and actually enjoyed it.  Brenda Vacarro was great in it.  I'll have to watch it again because I remember thinking that it was almost a feminist manifesto.

You know, I did wonder if there was a sexism thing going on for the movie to receive a 3.9, especially with that cast.  But I was tired, and ready to be done searching for the right movie...

(And too tired to look for an image, I'm embarrassed to say.  So thanks, I took one you offered.)

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"Y" is You Can't Hurry Love (1988)
« Reply #3552 on: April 19, 2008, 06:34:56 pm »

From IMDb:

Hardly a great picture, but the guest stars lift it up beyond the usual retread romantic comedy. Charles Grodin has probably 2 minutes of screen time and yet manages to create a complete character out of a few lines. Sally Kellerman and David Leisure are also good. Other minor characters are well-cast. I hate to admit it, but I liked this one.

Offline oilgun

"Z" is Zone 39 (1996)
« Reply #3553 on: April 19, 2008, 08:51:35 pm »
From IMDb: First of all, let me come out by saying this is not the best movie ever, far from it. The story is shady, vehicles look shoddy, and the weapon props used are downright shitty.

But this movie is not just a Mad Max clone, as a great many people would have you believe. Sure, they're both about a man who loses his wife and any hopes for a sane future, they're both Australian, and they're both mostly set in desert backgrounds in a not-so verdant future, but that doesn't mean it should be shunned. I think there's plenty of room for culty sci-fi movies like this one and Screamers for instance.

About the movie: The atmosphere of desolation the creators wanted to use throughout is brilliant. The drugs used also put extra feelings of gloom on it, making the difference between reality and figments of a depressed mind's imagination not so easy to discern. If you're into this sort of thing, I'd advise you (all three of you) to just watch it without any hopes for Mad Max styled action scenes, because that's not what the makers wanted with this. Violence used is always harsh and short-lived, which is quite realistic.

So, in recap: Only watch this without prejudice and if you're into this sort of thing. Zone 39 is Zone 39, not Mad Max 1.5

==ASIDE==
This round featured ten titles from the eighties and a couple from the early nineties that would qualify as eighties titles.

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
Re: ABCs at the Movies: In Honor of BBM...
« Reply #3554 on: April 20, 2008, 11:13:01 am »
for our next round, in honor of Brokeback Mountain, let's have movies that were adapted from short stories, books, or plays. No original movies, the story has to come from a different source.

Years: 1888-2013

Unplayed movies as always.

Wildcard X is in effect.

Have fun!

Leslie
GameMistress
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008, 10:26:42 am by MaineWriter »
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"A" is Away From Her (2006)
« Reply #3555 on: April 20, 2008, 11:45:42 am »
Adapted from Alice Munro's short story The Bear Came Over the Mountain included in:

==COMMENT==
I had several to choose from staring at me from the bookshelf, including American Psycho & The American Friend, both book adaptations but picked this one because it's from a short story.  Plus one critic called it the most touching love story since Brokeback Mountain.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 06:37:17 pm by oilgun »

Offline Fran

• "ABCs of BBM" moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
"B" is Beowulf (2007)
« Reply #3556 on: April 20, 2008, 01:57:33 pm »
Adapted from Beowulf, the oldest surviving English epic poem, author unknown.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2008, 11:38:58 pm by Elaine Wyatt »

Offline belbbmfan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • A love that will never grow old
'C' is the Cider House Rules (1999)
« Reply #3557 on: April 20, 2008, 04:25:03 pm »
based on a novel by John Irving

'We're supposed to guard the sheep, not eat 'em'

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
"D" is The DaVinci Code (2006)
« Reply #3558 on: April 20, 2008, 05:04:03 pm »
I didn't see the movie, but from everything I heard, the book was better (I enjoyed the book).

Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline oilgun

"E" is The End of the Affair (1999)
« Reply #3559 on: April 20, 2008, 06:19:57 pm »

==COMMENT==
One of my favourite tear jerkers!   :'(

==ASIDE==
Leslie, good idea to include the book cover!