Author Topic: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?  (Read 21378 times)

mvansand76

Re: How often do you think about Brokeback Mountain?
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2006, 07:44:44 am »
You're quickly becoming "desensitized", honey.

:o Oh no, don't let that happen to me!!! Pleaeaeaeaeassse.....

It's been three weeks now folks... My boyfriend has hidden the DVD for me... he's not very good at hiding things, though!

Offline Rayn

• Brokeback Got Me Good
  • I'm also on FaceBook under Rayn Roberts
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2006, 04:22:28 am »
How often do I think about the movie now?  Not as much as I did after I first saw it, but more than any moive I have ever seen in the past, for sure.  I still come here to talk about it months after seeing it.    ;)

Rayn

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2007, 09:56:04 pm »
I wonder if old-timers around here (or long-term Brokies in general) might feel different about the answer to this question now?  For me, the shocking thing is that my answer is pretty much exactly the same as it was back a year ago.  I think about BBM once in a while throughout the day (and definitely everyday).  It continues to amaze me how much this movie, and now this community of Brokies too, have come to be part of my life.  The initial excitement of "Brokie-fever" is over, but my love and need for the film/story haven't gone away or dissipated at all.... just changed into something more comfortable and familiar... like basic parts of my life now.  Amazing.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2007, 10:34:40 pm »
My original answer was "almost constantly," which was true back then. Now it has become "on and off throughout the day" -- especially if I count thinking about this website and my relationships with people here as well as the movie itself.

Malina once wrote a really good post on imdb comparing Brokie fever to religion. She talked about how at first you're like a new convert, almost overwhelmed by it. That all-consuming passion eventually settles down, but it becomes an ingrained and permanent part of your outlook, changing you forever.

She put it better, but that was the general idea, and that seemed exactly right.  :)

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2007, 09:15:01 pm »
Off and on throughout the day

Yep. I think about the movie, the characters, the book, the actors, or some aspect of Brokeback Mountain daily. I think it's ingrained now--which is a good thing.  :)
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 10:25:55 pm »
You know, I was thinking today at work that I actually sort of feel sorry for people who haven't had the Brokie experience.  I'm just so happy that this film/story and this community have become part of my life.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline serious crayons

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 11:00:33 pm »
You know, I was thinking today at work that I actually sort of feel sorry for people who haven't had the Brokie experience.  I'm just so happy that this film/story and this community have become part of my life.

I know what you mean, Bud!

I really feel sorry for all those AFI voters. It's one thing to miss the BBM experience if you're not that into movies. But if you ARE, and you STILL don't get it?! Sad.

Offline Penthesilea

• Town Administration
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2007, 02:57:52 am »
I wonder if old-timers around here (or long-term Brokies in general) might feel different about the answer to this question now?  For me, the shocking thing is that my answer is pretty much exactly the same as it was back a year ago.  I think about BBM once in a while throughout the day (and definitely everyday).  It continues to amaze me how much this movie, and now this community of Brokies too, have come to be part of my life.  The initial excitement of "Brokie-fever" is over, but my love and need for the film/story haven't gone away or dissipated at all.... just changed into something more comfortable and familiar... like basic parts of my life now.  Amazing.

Hey Bud, good idea to bring this up a year later.
I have no idea why I didn't vote by then, but if I had, it would have been "almost constantly". The bad thing is, it's not much better now, one year later. I now voted "on and off throughout the day", which basically means it's not constantly on my mind anymore. But to be honest, it's still more on than off my mind. Our boys and their story are ingrained in me. Someone once wrote seeing the movie is like visiting old friends, but to me they feel more like family, Brokeback Mountain and BetterMost are part of my life.

Ennis and Jack are not anymore my first thought in the morning when I wake up, at least not every day. But there are still days when I wake up and know I must have dreamt about them, because they are already on my mind. It's more a feeling than a aware thought. They're just there. Does that sound creepy, more than one year later? I hope I'm not the only one.

And they're still often the last thought before I fall asleep. It's still my little private amusement to change things in my head, to alter scenes from the movie and give them the happy end they deserve. Kind of fan-fiction game.

One thing that astonishes me, is that the want/need to see the movie has kept the same frequency for more than a year now. I was never one who watched the movie daily or even three or four times a week. It has always been every few weeks, and it's still the same now. Meanwhile I think I've seen it maybe 17 times, something close to twenty. Plus a few times I only watched till they leave the mountain or stopped directly before the post-divorce scene (hit the stop button simultaneously with the judges hammer).

I think the fact that we're still here alone is evidence enought that it got us good  :). And no, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2007, 03:07:04 am »
Well said Chrissi!!!  :D

Thanks for that post!
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2007, 10:30:02 am »

After I first saw the film in January 2006, I was pretty much in tears most of the time. That situation went on for months. I couldn't get Brokeback Mountain off my mind, and I liked it that way.

I read the short story, bought a copy of every book Annie Proulx ever wrote (still haven't read them all). Read the screenplay and essays. Bought the soundtrack and other spin-off recordings (e.g., a disco remake of The Wings). I read the short story many times, sometimes out loud, just so I could hear myself speaking the words. When doing so, I would have to stop often, because I was in floods of tears.

My work computer screensaver slide-show is packed with pics of mountains and flowery alpine meadows, whereas my home computer is full of pics of the film itself. I have BBM pics and the theatre poster on display in my home and visit BetterMost daily, often more than once. I visit BetterMost every evening, before going to bed, which is what I'm doing at this moment. I occasionally log on to BetterMost at work and find myself in tears whilst reading the posts and fanfic. On more than one occasion I've had to lie that I'm suffering from hayfever to a work colleague who has caught me crying.

My lover is a very Ennis-like character who lives a seven hour drive north of Sydney (where I live), in a beautiful seaside village. I always imagine myself to be Jack, when I'm in my car, driving up the coast to visit him.

I have two BBM photos here on my desk and I'm looking at them as I write this - one is of the dozy embrace and the other is a pic of Ennis on horseback.

I will be retiring next year and fantasize about retiring to the country, where I will purchase acreage and have a little homestead built, which I will name "Cherry Cake Cottage." Part of my retirement plans also involve fantasizing about buying two little Pomeranians - a black one which I will name Jack and a ginger one which I will name Ennis.

Did I answer the question?!  ???    :-\    ;)    :D
γνῶθι σεαυτόν