Author Topic: Religious symbolism in Brokeback  (Read 15714 times)

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Religious symbolism in Brokeback
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2007, 06:16:37 pm »
Thanks Bruce!

I can understand about the cross in the Twist home.

But please elaborate more on the hat?

Hugs!

What appears to be Jack's black hat hangs by the entry door on the wall behind Ennis.  There does not seem to be much else on the white walls in the room except the cross and Jack's hat, so both stand out prominently and they carry similar visual weight.  The cross behind Jack's mother is a visual metaphor for the importance of God in her life.  Jack's hat behind Ennis can be seen as a similar visual metaphor for the importance of Jack in Ennis's life. 

Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2007, 07:12:42 pm »
Thanks Bruce!

1- I will have to re-see that in the BM film! Interesting, it will be. Is that so in Annie's story?

2- The scene between Jack's parents and Ennis, are very important to me!! Even if dire time they are in, they (all 3) seem to accept one another!! That to me is religious symbolism!

3- Plus, it seems to me that this maybe the only or the one scene where gay life is more accepting!! ??

4- Certainly, it is a visit which is more polished by the film makers?? !!

Hugs!

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2007, 07:22:59 pm »
Not everything in the film is from the short story.  The cross and hat imagery is in the film only, not the story.
Former IMDb Name: True Oracle of Phoenix / TOoP (I pronounce it "too - op") / " in fire forged,  from ash reborn" / Currently: GeorgeObliqueStrokeXR40

Offline Artiste

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2007, 07:37:25 pm »
Oh, I see and thank you Bruce!

Any other differences from the movie and Annie's story concerning religious symbols?

Hugs!

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2007, 11:55:44 pm »
What appears to be Jack's black hat hangs by the entry door on the wall behind Ennis.  There does not seem to be much else on the white walls in the room except the cross and Jack's hat, so both stand out prominently and they carry similar visual weight.  The cross behind Jack's mother is a visual metaphor for the importance of God in her life.  Jack's hat behind Ennis can be seen as a similar visual metaphor for the importance of Jack in Ennis's life. 

Bruce, I love the detail of the hat in the Lightning Flat scene in the film.  I also love all the empty chairs that seem to be constant reminders that Jack is not there.  I had never thought to compare the hat on the wall to the cross there too... But this description makes a lot of sense.  You're right that it reinforces the role Jack plays in Ennis's life from very early on in the film through to this profound moment here.  It really is like Jack is watching over Ennis here and all sorts of forces are driving Ennis to discover those shirts (including Mrs. Twist and probably Jack's longing from beyond the grave).  I've always thought of this scene as really rather spooky in a very subtle way.  It feels like Jack's spirit is very strongly involved here.  When Ennis is in Jack's room and he opens the window to let air (i.e. Jack's symbol) into the room he immediately looks towards the closet as if these two acts are connected.  And, then when he's in the closet and touches Jack's old clothing on the rack... I think the detail of the one shirt swinging back and forth almost egging him on to look in the nook at the back is really significant.  This whole sequence in Lightning Flat from the time Ennis drives up until the time he leaves is absolutely brilliant filmmaking as far as I'm concerned.  It's just loaded with significance.  And, while it's clear that there are Christian symbols here, I think it's important to notice that there are also Buddhist/Taoist symbols.  I remember really interesting discussions elsewhere on BetterMost about the barn door that we can see outside of Jack's window being like a Yin and Yang symbol but with one of the small dots on one half of the symbol missing (perhaps signifying the absence of Jack now). 

What do you all make of the anchor on Jack's bedroom wall (beyond being a reference to Ennis's name)... Is there more to be said about that in terms of any kind of religious meaning?  Maybe more of a reference to the fish/ water-walking-Jesus theme?

This is a terrific thread, Amanda - thanks for starting it.  And Bruce - excellent observations about the Pentecost.

I'll chime in with my favorite religious symbol in the movie - scales!   ::)  (I know I've worn this subject out, but I can't help myself.)

There are kitchen scales in Alma's kitchen during the Thanksgiving confrontation with Ennis.  I see them as symbolic of her judging Ennis and Jack ('Jack Twist? Jack Nasty! You didn't go up there to fish.') and condemning them.  I contrast this to the scales in Mrs. Twist's kitchen when Ennis goes there after Jack's death.  She too judges Ennis and Jack, but she reaches out to Ennis with love and compassion and understanding.

And, hey Lynne!  Thanks for jumping in here!  The scales are definitely a smart detail and very subtle. They certainly carry a lot of different meanings especially with the contrast between the two women and the serious complexities of both those scenes.

Here's another big religious concept that I think is really interesting.  It has to do with the idea of Brokeback being a kind of Eden or Paradise Lost that once the boys are "expelled" they can never return. And, they can never really find the same level of peace and contentment in their relationship again. I think this concept is maybe articulated a little better in the story... since it's made clear that they don't return to Brokeback on their camping trips.  I think it's easy for a casual viewer of the film to mistakenly think they're going back to Brokeback during their later trips. 

In general though, my main point of reference, usually, when thinking about these questions is the film.  Somehow I usually gravitate more to the film than the story when I relate to BBM in general.  It would be really interesting to me to see a real story- afficionado tackle this topic in-depth.

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline ifyoucantfixit

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2007, 01:07:03 am »

Not much to add here, but I always have thought that Jack was the Christ figure, sent to
redeem Ennis from the lost.  It is first shown in my opinion, when Jack is seen carrying the
sheep on his shoulders.  Crossing the river.  The symbolism to the Good Shephard, and walking on water,
makes him the representative of the christ figure.  Later on he is seen taking care of the young lamb,
removing the thorns from the foot.  The thorns being another referrence to the crown of thorns.

Beautiful mind

Offline TOoP/Bruce

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2007, 01:09:15 am »

What do you all make of the anchor on Jack's bedroom wall (beyond being a reference to Ennis's name)... Is there more to be said about that in terms of any kind of religious meaning?  Maybe more of a reference to the fish/ water-walking-Jesus theme?

The placement of an anchor in a bedroom of boy growing up in Wyoming should be reason enough to question it's symbolic significance.  Geographically it is way out of place.  Thematically it does tie together with fish and Waterwalking Jesus..

Before Christian times, the anchor was a common symbol of safety.  Lightning Flat is something of a safe place most likely because he knows his mother's love.  Jack's father seems to be a jerk, but doesn't seem to have much to do with Jack's attraction to men.  It is in this safety of his childhood bedroom that Jack chooses to conceal the shirts that are his treasured memory of the summer of '63.

As an early Christian symbol, the anchor represented the hope of salvation in the next life, and perhaps this symbol is the most relevant for Brokeback Mountain.  The hope that lovers unable to overcome barriers to sharing a life in this world, may someday be reunited in the world hereafter.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2007, 10:42:29 am »
Wow, wow, wow, atz75, if youcantfixit, and Bruce!!!

You remark information concerning religious symbols are numerous and detailed, and welcomed!!!

May I remark that Jack's father in that scene where Ennis sees him... is remarkable, and maybe too as a religious symbol. I do not believe that Jack's father is uncaring, since I think it is otherwise, because he tells Ennis off! He would accept Ennis living and working his farm? Therefore, Jack father is accepting that his son is a gay man and accepts too Ennis (in his own manly way)?

Hugs!

Offline Dal

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2007, 10:13:41 pm »
What about the 30 cents that Ennis pays for the last postcard?  It's so called-attention-to.

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2007, 10:31:15 pm »
What about the 30 cents that Ennis pays for the last postcard?  It's so called-attention-to.

Well, what do you make of the significance of the 30 cents?  It seems that there are lots of significant numbers in BBM... the numbers 17 and 3 seem particularly to stand out.  I think it's sort of easy to get carried-away with the numbers.  But, they really must mean something.  Because, you're right, there are definitely instances where numbers are made to really stand out.  I honestly hadn't thought much about the number 30 until now.  I'm curious to hear your interpretation.
the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie