Author Topic: Guns - Love Them or Loathe Them?  (Read 8017 times)

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • ^ In pursuit of Captain Moonlite - 5 Sept 2009
    • Google Profile
Guns - Love Them or Loathe Them?
« on: November 06, 2007, 08:54:27 am »
I recently read in Time magazine that in the USA there are 90 guns for every 100 citizens, according to the 2007 Small Arms Survey, making the USA the most heavily armed country in the world. India has the second largest civilian gun-arsenal tally, with just 4 firearms per 100 people.

The article went on to state that 4.5 million new guns are purchased in the USA each year, more than half of the 8 million produced worldwide.

Ennis and Jack both owned guns and knew how to use them (probably Ennis better than Jack).

My personal view is that I believe there is a place for gun ownership if one is a police officer, farmer, or in the military. Outside that, I can see no place for firearm ownership within a civilian setting.

What's your view of guns and civilian gun ownership? Tick as many boxes as you like.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2007, 11:08:12 pm by Kerry »
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
Re: Guns - Love Them or Loathe Them?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 09:06:26 am »
your options don't leave much room for the middle ground!

I don't LOVE guns. I think they are a necessary tool for us...I don't think EVERYONE should own one but I think some people need one.

I've added a few more options, Jess.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline Shasta542

• BetterMost Supporter!
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 07:06:28 pm »
I don't love them, but I have one. My grandfather had one that he hunted with when I was young. He taught me how to use it and let me shoot at cans with it. I never wanted to hunt. I've shot skeet before (very badly). No one in my family ever accidentally shot anyone with a gun. Guns -- used responsibly -- are fine.
"Gettin' tired of your dumbass missin'!"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ifyoucantfixit

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2007, 07:29:14 pm »
        I was raised with guns in the home.  My father was an avid hunter..Birds and Deer and Elk.
We always had meat from his trips in the freezer.  I didnt know any different..I was a good shot
myself.  That is one of the things my husband and i did on the week after we got married.
We went out shooting...I was better than he was..  I could hit whatever i aimed at, so long as it
was within a reasonable distance...But after a while I saw no need for meat to eat , that we could
not buy at the store cheaper, and more easily gotten...
        I also was taught the respect of guns..all guns kill..unloaded or not.....BE CAREFUL never point
any gun towards anyone.........period....period period.........no excuses, and dont leave them where
the access is there for others either...
       I do think there are many people that have no need of a gun.  And it seems to me that
The routine to get one is not nearly stringent enough...Mental problems dont show up on a
police report...anyhow....basically I say the right is and should be a priviledge...Just like owning
an automobile..  I agree with Injest that there is not one single reason to own an automatic or
semi automatic weapon.    Until the animals get armed and start shooting back...!!!

Beautiful mind

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2007, 09:48:31 pm »
Still not enough options.

I don't love guns, but I own a hand gun and a shotgun. 

I used to shoot skeet with my shotgun and that was a lot of fun.

I also still target practice with my handgun and pretty much keep it around at home for personal protection.  I know some people who are true gun nuts.  An aquaintance had - in his one bedroom apartment - a 9 mm under a blanket on the arm of his couch - loaded, a shotgun and bandolier of shells hanging just to the inside of his hallway door - unseen by anyone in the front room, and 2 AK47s ("when you absolutely, positively gotta kill every motherfucka in the room, accept no substitute!"), one in his bedroom and the other in his closet, and stacks of boxes of shells.  Another friend has a gun collection, both modern and antique mounted on display all over one wall of his house.

Those people I think you could say love guns.  There is no selection for people who just have guns because they use it for occasional recreation and may - in some the gods forbid future - for protection - like a baseball bat.  Just a tool, with several uses, waiting to be used.

So I didn't vote.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2007, 03:00:05 am by delalluvia »

Offline Kerry

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
    • Google Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2007, 11:07:06 pm »
Still not enough options.

I don't love guns, but I own a hand gun and a shotgun. 

I used to shoot skeet with my shotgun and that was a lot of fun.

Have added an eighth option re recreational shooting.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Offline dot-matrix

• www.maleimagegallery.com ~Come Join Us~
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2007, 11:25:31 pm »
I grew up on a ranch so I know that there are valid uses for guns and some people need them.   My brother is in the military so I accept that use as well.  Likewise for law enforcement professionals. I will even honestly admit that I learned to shoot a rifle, a shotgun and a hand gun growing up, my father insisted.  BUT that said, I haven't touched a gun since I left home and I personally still HATE them and will not have one in my home.
Life is not a dress rehearsal

Offline David In Indy

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • You've Got Male
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2007, 12:02:08 am »
I detest guns. And now they're handing them out to every Tom, Dick and Harry on the streets. Even kids have them. And then we stand around and wonder why there are so many school shootings.

I've heard in some states it's just about as easy to get a gun as it is a library card. I realize this is yet another one of those "hot button" topics in our country, but I stand firmly in the NO GUNS camp; with the exception of the police and military.
Dogs have owners. Cats have staff.

Offline delalluvia

• "Truth is an iron bride"
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2007, 02:58:32 am »
Have added an eighth option re recreational shooting.

Thanks!  :)

Offline Ellemeno

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 05:12:28 pm »
What David said.