Author Topic: Annie says Jack's death is a "test"  (Read 17115 times)

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Annie says Jack's death is a "test"
« on: November 09, 2007, 01:06:49 pm »
Over on TOB is an interesting topic and theory I've never heard before.  A few posters over there quote Annie Proulx as saying the ambiguity of Jack's death is a "test". 

Quote "forloveoffilm":

"Further, I love how Proulx chose to make Jack's death ambigious. She said it was a litmus test. Those who choose to see it as an 'accident' are more confident and comfortable with their own sexuality. Those who choose to see it as a 'murder' are those still struggling with their identity or think of homosexuals as victims."

I find this facinating!

For me, I have always believed Jack was murdered.  I also admit that I am personally fearful of violence or hatred directed at me for being gay.  So, this test or theory, does ring true for me.

Here is the thread:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/board/flat/89411013?p=1

Thoughts from Bettermostians....?

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Annie says Jack's death is a "test"
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2007, 01:22:42 pm »
Well, I thought of Jack's death as a murder, but that was because of Matthew Shepherd. I think I am a realist. I can see where Annie Proulx set this up this way, but she was not quite successful in my opinion because she did not make his demise quite e-nuff ambiguous. What works better is the fact that Ennis, with all his paranoia, lived his days out in peace in his trailer, while trusting Jack met an early end.

:'(

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 01:38:05 pm »
she did not make his demise quite e-nuff ambiguous.

Really?  Do you not remember the long discussions and debates about this?  Or is it that it was not enough ambiguous for you, as you concluded he was murdered, based on your feelings about Matthew Shepherd?  I admit I have always thought it was a murder, probably because I've personally seen first hand things similar like this covered up, because of Matthew Shepherd, because I myself have been a victim of anti-gay violence...

Well, I thought of Jack's death as a murder, but that was because of Matthew Shepherd. I think I am a realist.

Could this mean perhaps that everyone who sees it as an accident is in denial?  Or perhaps they themselves have never experienced anti-gay violence or hatred directed at them or their loved ones first hand?

Scott6373

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 01:43:55 pm »
There's something about this whole exercise that bothers me.  I question the psychology she uses.  I don't know of anyone who saw the film who thought it was an accident.  I have to think on this for a while.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 01:46:41 pm »
There's something about this whole exercise that bothers me.  I question the psychology she uses.  I don't know of anyone who saw the film who thought it was an accident.  I have to think on this for a while.

My ex-partner was adament it was an accident.  Him and I got in a huge argument about it in the car after seeing the movie.

And what makes it interesting and why I believe this theory, is that he is quite the "openly gay" man.  Seems to have no fears about it.  Has always lived in the big accepting City.  Came out when he was 12 and all.

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • Brokeback got us good.
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 02:05:21 pm »
Really?  Do you not remember the long discussions and debates about this?  Or is it that it was not enough ambiguous for you, as you concluded he was murdered, based on your feelings about Matthew Shepherd?  I admit I have always thought it was a murder, probably because I've personally seen first hand things similar like this covered up, because of Matthew Shepherd, because I myself have been a victim of anti-gay violence...

I am so sorry to hear that! Surely it did not happen in the Bay Area?

The accident just didn't seem plausible to me. If the tire blew up on him and knocked him out, he would have come to when he started choking. He could have turned himself over. He was so adept at getting out of the way of charging bulls after being thrown off them. I just can't believe he could die that easily.

"chewing gum and duct tape"

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 02:50:22 pm »
Hunh!

I don't know what to think.

Considering all the antigay violence that continues in this world, I'm offended by the assertion that because I go along with Ennis's belief that they got Jack with a tire iron that means I'm insecure in my sexuality.

It is too bad we don't have Annie's alleged comments in print. It just doesn't sound right to me that she would make a blanket statement that all gays would "get" that Jack died in an accident and all straights would assume it was murder.

I'm not prepared to take as gospel these memories of what Annie Proulx is alleged to have said six years ago.

Rontrigger's posts were always intelligent and worth reading.  :)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Scott6373

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 02:52:42 pm »
Hunh!

I don't know what to think.

Considering all the antigay violence that continues in this world, I'm offended by the assertion that because I go along with Ennis's belief that they got Jack with a tire iron that means I'm insecure in my sexuality.

It is too bad we don't have Annie's alleged comments in print. It just doesn't sound right to me that she would make a blanket statement that all gays would "get" that Jack died in an accident and all straights would assume it was murder.

I'm not prepared to take as gospel these memories of what Annie Proulx is alleged to have said six years ago.

Rontrigger's posts were always intelligent and worth reading.  :)

Thank you Jeff.  That's exactly how I was feeling about it.

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2007, 03:20:57 pm »
Thank you Jeff.  That's exactly how I was feeling about it.

Friend, you're welcome.  :)  ;)
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 03:27:23 pm »
I was at first offended also when I read this on TOB...  I at first thought, oh, because I think Jack was murdered, I'm not comfortable in my sexuality?  WTF? 

Then I thought about it and read deeper into it, and applied my own experiences and that with my ex-partners views of it being and accident, and have found the thoery/test to be quite interesting...kind of like a pysche test.  Optimist vs. Pessismist.  Half full vs. half empty.  etc.