Author Topic: Jack's Plaid Shirt  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Brown Eyes

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Jack's Plaid Shirt
« on: November 17, 2007, 09:04:55 pm »
I just watched BBM tonight and started thinking about the significance of Jack's one, plaid shirt.

It's been noted many times in the past that Ennis wears patterned shirts throughout the entirety of BBM.  He never wears a solid colored shirt.  On the other hand, Jack always wears a solid colored shirt. Except once. The importance of the various colors of shirts for both characters is almost a separate topic.

The one time Jack wears a plaid shirt is when he goes back to Aguirre's trailer to ask for another job and to find out if Ennis had also been by to ask for another job (the "look what the wind blew in" scene).

Jack wears this plaid shirt as a part of a very-multi-layered ensemble.  It's extremely striking how many layers of clothing Jack is wearing during this scene.

So why the plaid shirt?  And why only in that scene?

the world was asleep to our latent fuss - bowie

Offline Front-Ranger

• BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Brokeback got us good.
Re: Jack's Plaid Shirt
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 12:32:27 pm »
That is an interesting observation, Amanda! Off the top of my head, I would say that Jack needed a lot of courage to go back and face Aguirre (and his wrath, LOL!) and so he padded himself for protection, not only from A. but also from the wind and friggin cold! I remember seeing his plaid shirt also in the closet at the end. In fact, doesn't Ennis put his hand on it as he goes into the closet?? Isn't it great watching the movie again??
"chewing gum and duct tape"