Author Topic: TOTW 17/07: Why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride when they got down the mountain?  (Read 24871 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Brokenback Mountain is close to the Grands Tetons?

It makes me sad to think about Grands Tetons!

In another way, it is like that scene in the movie where Jack would like to offer Ennis a ride, after they come down from their jobs top of the mountain!!

Hugs!

Well, that is my theory Artiste that Brokeback Mountain and Signal are fairly near to the Tetons but not in the Tetons. There are also well thought out valid theories that Brokeback and Signal are in the Big Horns.

When I use the short story as canon, I can come to no other conclusion than Signal is near to Dubois in the Wind River Range, and Brokeback Mountain is north of Dubois in the Shoshone National Forest - not far from the continental divide.

If you use the movie as canon, then you can come to a different conclusion. Its all fun and reminds me of the early days of Star Wars fandom,with those "heated" discussions we used to have at sci-fi cons over light sabers and light beer  as to whether to use the films or the books as canon for Star Wars trivia.

injest

films

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
films

Injest are you voting to use the film as canon in the case of Brokeback Mountain?

injest

Injest are you voting to use the film as canon in the case of Brokeback Mountain?

LOL!! no I was telling you that you have to go by the Star War FILMS for canon.... ;)

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks all !!

Brokeplex, you say: Well, that is my theory Artiste that Brokeback Mountain and Signal are fairly near to the Tetons but not in the Tetons

To that, may I say to you brokeplex and to all, that when I saw photos of Grand Tetons where my gay friend did live, which were taken by him,  indeed Ennis and Jack, (you and I, ... all others, and especially gay men), would have enjoyed it there!! You know that those two French words (Grands Tetons) are?? So, maybe it would have been better for Annie to include too that area in her story?
That would have been more pro-gay for me!!

When both Ennis and Jack after coming down with the sheep, why was Jack's truck turned? Is that maybe a sign that Jack wanted to ask Ennis, to offer Ennis a ride??

Hugs!!

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
I'm always drawn to Jack gazing at Ennis in his rear-view mirror; Ennis walking all by himself, and the expression on Jack's face as Ennis is left father and farther behind.  I could be wrong, but I think Ang Lee separated the 2 at this point to prepare us for the sense of sadness, loneliness and longing that will flow through the film from that point on.  If Jack had offered Ennis a ride, IMHO, we would lose that sense of longing and regret.  I suppose Ennis may have dry heaved after Jack dropped him off somewhere, but separating the 2 set the stage for the loneliness to come.  I hope I'm making sense.

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
Makes a lot of sense littlewing.....and if that was what Ang intended, he sure got it right.......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Delmardeb

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
I think it was pride that stopped Jack from asking Ennis if he could give him a lift. Ennis had already sucker punched him before they came down from the mountain. That must have damaged Jack's ego. Also when Jack offered Ennis a loan, look how Ennis reacted- " I don't need your money, I ain't in the poor
house." Last, when Jack asked Ennis if was going to get a job on Brokeback next summer, Ennis replied that he and Alma were going to get married and he'd get work on the ranch.

My point is that Ennis rejected any offer or idea that Jack presented to him. He probably thought that if he had asked Ennis if he needed a ride, that Ennis would have said no. Who wants to hear no or constantly get rejected by the person that you love?

For how long? As long as we can ride it; ain't no reins on this one.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS

LOL!! no I was telling you that you have to go by the Star War FILMS for canon.... ;)

yes, that was the final consensus in the Star Wars community at the time. Because: the books were derived from the films and Lucas is the "author" of the films. Thanks Injest!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks all !!

Brokeplex, you say: Well, that is my theory Artiste that Brokeback Mountain and Signal are fairly near to the Tetons but not in the Tetons

To that, may I say to you brokeplex and to all, that when I saw photos of Grand Tetons where my gay friend did live, which were taken by him,  indeed Ennis and Jack, (you and I, ... all others, and especially gay men), would have enjoyed it there!! You know that those two French words (Grands Tetons) are?? So, maybe it would have been better for Annie to include too that area in her story?
That would have been more pro-gay for me!!

When both Ennis and Jack after coming down with the sheep, why was Jack's truck turned? Is that maybe a sign that Jack wanted to ask Ennis, to offer Ennis a ride??

Hugs!!

Ha ha, yes, apparently an early lonely French Canadian mountain man / explorer named them because they reminded him of what he was 'missing' in his lonely life, so to speak.