Author Topic: TOTW 17/07: Why didn't Jack offer Ennis a ride when they got down the mountain?  (Read 24792 times)

Offline delalluvia

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • "Truth is an iron bride"
I am so impressed with the way you find the right words to paint the exact picture of how it is, Delalluvia....

I read that, and saw it all before me, and nodded my head in agreement....

;D  Thanks.

Offline delalluvia

I agree so completely. I can almost hear Ennis saying to himself, "Now I have paid Jack off..."

And it's sad isn't it?  How much worse can he make Jack feel than to pretend their time on the mountain was nothing special and now back to the real world?

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature
And it's sad isn't it?  How much worse can he make Jack feel than to pretend their time on the mountain was nothing special and now back to the real world?

Thats why the reunion is so brilliant....
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks!

Dell, you sure colour things right with simple words I accept too! But Front-Ranger questions or adds??

Front-Ranger, why do you say: ["Now I have paid Jack off..."

/i]
Please explain.

So, Ennis, now considering himself an heterosexual again (from heaven to be in hell again??),  refuses Jack since he is angry at Jack who made advances towards him for having sex with him, tempting him into it??
Is that it, in the movie? In the book too? Is that what you mean maybe??

Hugs!

Offline Katie77

• Love is a force of Nature

So, Ennis, now considering himself an heterosexual again (from heaven to be in hell again??), 

Please explain......the part you have in brackets......
Being happy doesn't mean everything is perfect.

It means you've decided to see beyond the imperfection

Offline Artiste

• The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
Thanks Katie!

Since you ask, you are getting my effort to try to manswer you concerning: So, Ennis, now considering himself an heterosexual again (from heaven to be in hell again??),

Trying to clarify that, may I say: That Ennis was in peace (thus heaven) with Jack working together, plus amusing themselves, etc.; but, coming down from that to the ordinary world where one has to find another job, that makes it like hell! That is one way that I see that!

Another way is that Ennis was more and more happy as a person, when he worked with Jack since they both had an like unreal world up there (a bit gay as in happy closet) which could be described as a bit of heaven since Jack helped him in many ways and vice versa in their men world, but when he has to come back to the real world down below where it is mainly (or totally for him) he freas an heterosexual one like it could be hell with different men and different women as different thoughts and ways of life, well there are many differences: 1- finding added $ (a job or jobs) needed to marry a woman,  2- changing or rechangingagain his life from being with a man to an unknown world (being with a woman which will be quite a different life), 3- fear of the unknown, 4- one can even add religion as a negative, 5- unwanted possibilities of rejection, 6- all and much more would and will make him unstable in many ways!!

Jack and Ennis had fought even physically for love before they left, but both sad toothey also started hitting and being hurtful now at what was to come, just before coming down then. Once, at the truck, he helped Jack start Jack's truck, which shows to me that he wanted to continue to help and be helped by Jack, but the real world of fears of an heterosexual one starting masked each!! Even if each wanted to other in order to be love and to love... for that to continue!! That was to me... in the movie then.

What do you think?

Hugs!
P.S.Answer mine too now?

Offline HerrKaiser

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
With all the debate over where Signal actually is, has anyone thought about an adventure trip to WY that could be called "Searching for Brokeback"?

I tend to lean toward the logic of this hallowed place being near Dubois based on the analysis of brokeplex. In spite of my lack of much interest in the short story vs the film, the geographical logic makes sense. Could it possilby be that the American pronunciation of Dubois being Du boys, or two boys if you take some language liberties, was on purpose?

Seems to me a search for the right place would be a fun scavenger hunt...with ennis as the prize. In fact, I may just head to Dubois myself.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
With all the debate over where Signal actually is, has anyone thought about an adventure trip to WY that could be called "Searching for Brokeback"?

I tend to lean toward the logic of this hallowed place being near Dubois based on the analysis of brokeplex. In spite of my lack of much interest in the short story vs the film, the geographical logic makes sense. Could it possilby be that the American pronunciation of Dubois being Du boys, or two boys if you take some language liberties, was on purpose?

Seems to me a search for the right place would be a fun scavenger hunt...with ennis as the prize. In fact, I may just head to Dubois myself.

yep, Herr Kaiser they pronounce it "DOO - BOYZ" in Dubois!

I am delighted to read your post and your interest in a round up in the area. Several men I know here in the DFW area expressed to me an interest in a Brokie type of round up in the Dubois area before I went north to Montana this July. On my way back home from Missoula in Sept, I took a very long detour over to Fremont County WY. I drove along the Wind River past Riverton all the way to Dubois. I loved the landscape. Dubois is a charming community with friendly folks eager to host tourists. Some tourists come to the area for the real cowboy experience, Dubois hosts the National Big Horn Sheep Interpretive Center. Dubois is also one of the gateways to the Grand Teton National Park.

The Dubois area has lots of rentals, guest ranches, cabins, and motels. I plan to speak with a Fremont Co, based mountain guide who has expressed some interest in our proposed gathering. We will discuss possible campsites towards the North or West of Dubois. My goal is for round up participants to have a close up experience on a mountain in a sheepherding area similar to what we read about Ennis and Jack in "Brokeback Mountain".

I will let the fellow over in Dallas who is coordinating this for us know of your possible interest. The proposed round up would be in late July early Aug 2008, just the time that Texans are ready get out of the everyday 100 degree heat Texas produces. Send me a private message with your preferred method of contact. I hope that you will be able to attend.

Offline delalluvia

I've been to Dubois, too.  It was the jumping off point - trailhead - for the years of wilderness hiking I went on back when.

It's probably grown since I was last there.  Last time I was there, the whole town shut down to go to someone's funeral.

Yes, it is Du BOYZ.  ;D

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
What I really loved about Dubois is how friendly everyone was. It not your typical tourist oriented town with the, "lets take their money and run", attitude towards visitors. People I spoke with seemed genuinely interested in getting to know me.