Author Topic: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie  (Read 140377 times)

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "My guns and amo!! Over my cold dead hands!!"
    • Fiction by Louise Van Hine
Re: New Greenlea Tale: The Rookie
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2008, 12:27:45 am »
and the plot continues to thicken:

Chapter 33:  http://louisev.livejournal.com/244996.html
“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2008, 01:36:22 am »
  I hope that for those of you who were worried on this point, the inspiration for these characters may have passed from among us, but the spirit that inspired the work is still going strong, and I intend to continue to write about them.

Your words are providing so much comfort.  You can't imagine how glad I am to read this.  You're an inspiration!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2008, 01:42:28 am »
thanks Littlewing.  I asked myself yesterday, while I was sitting here dizzy and disoriented, whether I had the concentration and focus left in me to write in the middle of it about Colson and Ellery, purely inspired by Brokeback and enlivened by Heath's performance of Ennis, and the answer came to me: sure I can.

I went to bed very late last night after writing and posting and talking in chat with other Bettermostians, but I woke up on time this morning and put in a full day and wrote another chapter without being at all tired.  And I know that life will go on.  And so will the Greenlea tales.

“Mr. Coyote always gets me good, boy,”  Ellery said, winking.  “Almost forgot what life was like before I got me my own personal coyote.”

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2008, 01:55:25 am »
thanks Littlewing.  I asked myself yesterday, while I was sitting here dizzy and disoriented, whether I had the concentration and focus left in me to write in the middle of it about Colson and Ellery, purely inspired by Brokeback and enlivened by Heath's performance of Ennis, and the answer came to me: sure I can.

I went to bed very late last night after writing and posting and talking in chat with other Bettermostians, but I woke up on time this morning and put in a full day and wrote another chapter without being at all tired.  And I know that life will go on.  And so will the Greenlea tales.

I thought I would have trouble writing again.  I think my friends over at the Jack with Ennis thread have lost the will to keep posting.  I hope they'll come around, because writing has become very theraputic for me.  I can't just give it up.  As far as I'm concerned, Heath lives.  He would want us to continue!  Thanks, Louise, for your decision to keep writing.  You have inspired me, and comforted me more than I can say!

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2008, 02:04:41 am »
I think that is part of what our fan forum is meant to be - a means of comforting and encouraging one another.  I believe part of Heath's mission in the world was to help the gay community and encourage those who saw 'Brokeback' to come out and to add energy to the pursuit of civil rights in America, and I believe that is what our writings will do as well.  There has been too much oppression, for much too long, and it is time that those who cannot be themselves without societal condemnation, have a voice and claim what they are denied.

That is why I write.

Offline Luvlylittlewing

« Reply #165 on: January 24, 2008, 02:08:31 am »
I think that is part of what our fan forum is meant to be - a means of comforting and encouraging one another.  I believe part of Heath's mission in the world was to help the gay community and encourage those who saw 'Brokeback' to come out and to add energy to the pursuit of civil rights in America, and I believe that is what our writings will do as well.  There has been too much oppression, for much too long, and it is time that those who cannot be themselves without societal condemnation, have a voice and claim what they are denied.

That is why I write.

Very well said, Louise!  Thank you!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #166 on: January 24, 2008, 08:04:22 am »

That is why I write.

Thanks for those eloquent words, Louise.  And thanks for the great chapter.

Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #167 on: January 24, 2008, 05:28:19 pm »
you are very welcome, Marie.  And don't worry, Colson and Ellery are alive and well and they are going to be for a good long time to come!

Offline mariez

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "you bet"
« Reply #168 on: January 24, 2008, 09:34:17 pm »
you are very welcome, Marie.  And don't worry, Colson and Ellery are alive and well and they are going to be for a good long time to come!

(((Louise)))

Nope, I'm not worried about Colson and Ellery because I know they are in your loving hands, and I'm so grateful for that.  (I'm also a little embarrassed to admit that my emotions are so close to the surface right now that your words brought me to tears, but I feel safe saying that here.)

:-*
Marie
The measure of a country's greatness is its ability to retain compassion in times of crisis         ~~~~~~~~~Thurgood Marshall

The worst loneliness is not to be comfortable with yourself.    ~~~~~~~~~ Mark Twain

Offline louisev

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
« Reply #169 on: January 24, 2008, 09:49:24 pm »
I think we are all feeling it, more or less.  There is a strong relationship between Heath and his portrayal of Ennis and the genesis of my story that can't be denied.  And because I wrote about the future of Ennis at such length, it may be that these stories conjure Ennis far more than other ones that are more or less about Jack and Ennis together.  We know that Heath's Ennis made his way safely to a future that I spent most of 2006 writing, and in its reworked form, still lives in my imagination.  And in a curious but compelling way, that is a tremendous comfort to me, even though I was the one who wrote it!