Author Topic: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club  (Read 4590277 times)

Offline David

• BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
Re: The ORIGINAL 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #2020 on: January 03, 2007, 09:04:44 am »
Wednesday and time for a Full 1000+ list!

injest                          7,752   
  Lucise                         5,766   

Garry_LH                     3,930   
  MaineWriter                 3,906   
  Front-Ranger               3,876   
  louisev                        3,209   
  DavidinHartford            3,015   

Ellemeno                     2,944   
  Pipedream                   2,484   
  Fran                           2,358   
  latjoreme                    2,241   
  ednbarby                    2,199   

David925                    1,976   
  Jeff Wrangler              1,840   
  Toast                        1,816   
  YaadPyar                   1,724   
  Sheriff Roland             1,690   
  Phillip                         1,608   
  Meryl                         1,532   
  Memento                   1,464   
  wdj                           1,460   
  Bigheart                     1,352   
  jpwagoneer1964         1,328   
  Lynne                        1,309   
  Daniel                        1,247   
  moremojo                  1,243   
  twistedude                1,221   
  atz75                        1,186   
  Katie77                     1,184   
  southendmd              1,170   
  Arad-3                      1,164   
  delalluvia                   1,163   
  wyomen                   1,156   
  DeeDee                    1,142   
  starboardlight            1,120   
  littleguitar                 1,106   
  Ray                          1,042   
  cmr107                    1,039   
  Mikaela                     1,033   
  opinionista                1,026   
  shakestheground       1,010   

Offline David

« Reply #2021 on: January 03, 2007, 09:06:37 am »
Wednesday: 8 AM.   

32*F  Sunny, but evereything is covered in frost.   Brrr!

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2022 on: January 03, 2007, 09:28:42 am »
So David, I have a TSA question for you...

Yesterday, we took Haley to the airport so she could go  home to New York City. Because she was traveling as an unaccompanied minor, they gave me a pass to go through security so I could sit with her at the gate. Usually, before a trip, I empty out my purse of any "problem" items, ie, my Swiss army knife. Since I didn't expect to go through security yesterday, it was in there. However, in the screening, they didn't notice it. Or, if they noticed it, they didn't confiscate it.

Your take on this? Did they miss it? Or, if they saw it, did they let it slide because they knew I wasn't getting on a plane?

I am very grateful that they didn't take it, because I like that knife...I bought it in Switzerland!

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2023 on: January 03, 2007, 11:34:59 am »

Congrats on 1000, Shakes!

Welcome to the Club, Truman!   8)
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline southendmd

• Town Administration
  • well, I won't
« Reply #2024 on: January 03, 2007, 01:04:13 pm »
Way to go, Truman!  Happy 1000!

Offline David

« Reply #2025 on: January 03, 2007, 03:00:10 pm »
So David, I have a TSA question for you...

Yesterday, we took Haley to the airport so she could go  home to New York City. Because she was traveling as an unaccompanied minor, they gave me a pass to go through security so I could sit with her at the gate. Usually, before a trip, I empty out my purse of any "problem" items, ie, my Swiss army knife. Since I didn't expect to go through security yesterday, it was in there. However, in the screening, they didn't notice it. Or, if they noticed it, they didn't confiscate it.

Your take on this? Did they miss it? Or, if they saw it, did they let it slide because they knew I wasn't getting on a plane?

I am very grateful that they didn't take it, because I like that knife...I bought it in Switzerland!

L

They missed it.    Even though you were not flying, you were entering the "Sterile" area.   By not screening everyone who enters the same, you could have passed the knife on to someone who was flying.    So everyone who enters thru security shouldn't have all of the same liquids etc as someone who is flying.

How they missed it?      Hard to say.   Is it real small?   I really can't say too much about the process as it is Security Sensative Information.

But in all reality, risk management has determined that a small knife like that is not a threat to bring down a plane.    The pilots are behind locked, steel doors.   No knife of any size is going to cut through it.     Taking away knifes is to prevent harm to the persons sitting near you.    If a person were to pull out a knife on a plane in flight, all hell would break loose.     A dozen strong passengers would jump the person and restrain them, unless the Air Marshall got to them first.    Plus many Pilots are now armed.     

Flying is very safe.   There are so many layers of security over lapping to make sure you have an uneventful trip.   

Offline David

« Reply #2026 on: January 03, 2007, 03:12:12 pm »
TSA Travel Tip #2

Don't carry Meryls Leslies bag thru security.   (Just kidding!)    :laugh:    LOL

But seriously.    Arrive at the Airport early.  Especially if you are "Checking" any bags.
The number one reason bags don't arrive on the same plane you were on is because the guys downstairs didn't get them early enough.    You need to "Check" your bag(s) at least an hour before your plane departs.   Hundreds of bags go down that belt in an hour and they need time to route them to the correct plane.     

More so if you are changing planes too.    Don't book a flight with a very short lay-over.    We all hate to wait, but if you have a layover of less than an hour I'd be surpized if your bags make it off the first plane and onto the next one.   Don't forget.  They board the plane about 30 minutes prior to departure anyways.   So you will need time to deplane,  make your way thru the terminal to your next gate (which may include a subway or shuttle) plus a visit to the restroom because we all hate those little Airplane Lavs.   So that 60 minute layover is tighter than you think.

So do yourself and your baggage a favor and travel with extra time.     And if you're a really hot guy, don't forget,  I may detain you!    LOL.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2007, 03:44:57 pm by DavidinHartford »

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2027 on: January 03, 2007, 03:24:37 pm »
Thanks, David.

It's just a standard Swiss Army knife, with a a screwdriver and a nail file. Not even a corkscrew! I have always believed it would be useless to do anything dangerous. Mostly what I use it for is slitting open envelopes.

But I understand the importance of the multiple layers of security.

L
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Meryl

• BetterMost Supporter
  • There's no reins on this one....
« Reply #2028 on: January 03, 2007, 03:38:38 pm »
TSA Travel Tip #2
Don't carry Meryls bag thru security.   (Just kidding!)    :laugh:    LOL

:laugh:

You don't know how right you are, David!  On my way back from Chicago, they stopped me after my purse was x-rayed.  I thought it was probably for a nail file, but I was dismayed when the lady pulled out a lovely enameled letter opener I'd bought as a Christmas gift for a friend.  I'd totally forgotten it was in my purse.  Well, of course it was confiscated and is now in that limbo where pointy sharp things go to die.  :'(
Ich bin ein Brokie...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #2029 on: January 03, 2007, 04:08:29 pm »
I understand security, but don't you wish there was some way you could say, "Look, let's be real here. I just spent $24.99 on this in the gift shop at the Chicago Art Institute. It is a Christmas gift for one of my oldest and dearest friends. I really, really do not plan to not plan to comandeer the plan with an enameled letter opener...really!"

But you could never say that.

Probably the most absurd thing I have ever seen was a few years ago, when security was ultra-strict (in the first year or so after 9/11). Remember when they would pull people out of line, randomly, as they were getting on the plane, to do yet another security check? Well, during one of these checks, they pulled out an elderly lady, in a wheel chair, who was on oxygen. The poor woman was barely conscious. It was obvious she was not faking and there was no way she was a security risk. But she got re-screened....

L