Author Topic: Brokeback as an Anti-Gay Polemic : essay by W.C. Harris  (Read 45605 times)

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
  • LCARS
Brokeback as an Anti-Gay Polemic : essay by W.C. Harris
« on: December 30, 2007, 09:28:03 pm »
I read all of the essays in "Reading Brokeback Mountain", ed. Jim Stacy. I urge all Brokies to read this book.

Essay # 9 "Broke(n)back Faggots: Hollywood Gives Queers a Hobson's Choice" by W.C. Harris grabbed my attention.

Harris's essay has two themes that interest me:

1) The short story "Brokeback Mountain" is not a universal love story, it is essentially a gay story. But, the film has made a departure from that mode and was heteronormed by McMurtry, Ossana and Ang Lee. Many of the additions added in the screenplay show aspects of the lives of Ennis and Jack that heteronorm the film in order to appeal to a larger audience. Harris sites an excellent article by Daniel Mendelsohn, "An Affair to Remember" appearing in the New York Review of Books on 02/23/06

www.nybooks.com/articles/18712

In Mendelsohn's article he opines that the "universality" of the "Brokeback" story is not only deniable, but also  dangerous. And by accepting its "universality" we diminish its real achievement - a beautiful and distinctively Gay love story, not easily equated with a heterosexual liaison. Mendelsohn's contention is that in denying the gay reality of the story and declaring that it is a "love" story, not a "gay" story, just "pushes them back into the closet whose narrow and suffocating confines Ang Lee and his collaborators have so beautifully and harrowingly exposed."

I urge interested Brokies to read Mendelsohn article, and a follow up from Focus Features James Schamus also on NY Rev of Books (04/0/06)

2) Also in the Harris essay under the subtitle, "An Ambivalent Polemic" Harris advances the idea that "Brokeback Mountain", both short story and film, advances an Anti-Gay polemic.

"Brokeback is an irreducibly ambivalent work. From one angle, it reads as an antihomophobic polemic against the deforming and stunting impact of homophobia. Yet it takes minimal effort to see "Brokeback's" potential to serve also as an anti-gay polemic, a cautionary tale about homosexuality not homophobia."

Harris asks, why was it necessary to kill of Jack in order for Proulx to make her point?

"Brokeback stands as an anti-gay polemic inasmuch as it depicts, albeit in the tragic register, the deleterious effects of violent homophobia as well as the heteronormative imperatives to marry, to perform one's gender and sexuality in prescribed ways. Likewise, we should be careful to distinguish the brutality of Jack's death, a brutality necessary to Ennis's terrified vision of the world, from the unnecessary brutality of Proulx's decision, as the writer, to kill off Jack, when Ennis's emotional and erotic isolation is long complete, and complete without such a price being paid."

Its an old formula in films and books that appeal to the mass market, at least one of the gay guys has to die. 

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
Re: Brokeback as an Anti-Gay Polemic : essay by W.C. Harris
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2007, 11:48:22 pm »
Thanks for that summary, Brokeplex.

The problem I, personally, have with the idea that "the story" of Brokeback Mountain--whether "the story" of the short story or "the story" of the film--is not universal is that I see themes in both the story and the film of opportunities missed, chances not taken out of fear--as not distinctively gay themes. They are human themes.

As for Annie Proulx killing off Jack, I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that "Brokeback Mountain" can be seen as falling into the old stereotype that if you're gay, you either wind up dead (Jack) or alone and miserable (Ennis). I noticed that as far back as 1997, and it always makes me uncomfortable to think about that.

But as for why Annie killed off Jack, well, a story has to have an end. And I would disagree that Ennis's "emotional and erotic isolation ... is complete" when he still has Jack coming up from Texas once or twice a year. The film gives us a crack in the emotional isolation as he agrees to attend his daughter's wedding. We don't see this in the short story, and I don't see Ennis in the story as having that isolation "complete" until Jack is dead.

"Brokeback stands as an anti-gay polemic inasmuch as it depicts, albeit in the tragic register, the deleterious effects of violent homophobia as well as the heteronormative imperatives to marry, to perform one's gender and sexuality in prescribed ways.

I'm sorry, but, hunh?  ??? I hope he clarifies that point because I sure don't see how depicting "the deleterious efects of violent homophobia" makes the story an "anti-gay polemic."  ???
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Shakesthecoffecan

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Those were the days, Alberta 2007.
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2007, 12:08:16 am »
Lots of good points raised here. Why did Jack have to die?

Proulx has said the story is about the effect of rural homophobia, but viewed from another angle I can see it being an anti gay tale, along the lines of Spegleman's Maus and Maus II could be viewed as anti semetic. Neither is the case however. They speak to a certain time and place for both Jews and Homosexuals, giving glimpse into their worlds and how they delt with the horrors inflicted on them by a larger society.

Why did Jack have to die? Because people sometimes die because they are homosexuals. Matthew Shepard, attacked and left for dead in Wyoming the year following the publishing of the short story, one example.

I think what makes it a tale of hope, and not and anti gay story is that peoples hearts and minds have started to open, can you imagine the same tale being told in the 1950s?  Would there have been crowds applauding Jack's lynching? I don't know. Would it have followed in the tradition of Story Time, showing homosexuals as pathetic and to be pittied? I dunno.
"It was only you in my life, and it will always be only you, Jack, I swear."

Offline myprivatejack

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Little darlinĀ“
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2007, 07:50:47 am »
The story can be seen,effectively,as an anti-gay tale emotionally speaking; I personally am fed up with these stories ending with one of the protagonists dead or,at least,parted with each other-what to say about stories with the stereotype of a effeminate gay or,worst still,a perverted gay?  >:( - .But I also understand that the "happy ending" with an idyllic landscape,flowers growing,birds singing and a marriage in Canada ( :laugh:)would not have had the same effect,let's say, exemplary against intolerance and hate.Hence these two sides;if you can't read it so,it falls into the most seen topics.But if you read between the lines perhaps the denounce would be more effective than  if it ended well,perhaps Ennis would have experimented such a change in the end-change not completely useless by the fact that Jack,his love,was dead;the change would serve for himself,no matter with whom he was from that moment  on-.MHO.
I like your silences,quiet conversations of evident sensations,where our words are lifeĀ“s tinsels.
The lost illusions are the found truths.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2007, 11:15:18 am »
Brokeplex, you do bring up an interesting thread, be it negative (or not) as this subject is: anti-gay!

When I did create such a thread as maybe the BM movie was anti-gay, some were angry (or I seem to read that), some were puzzled by such a question I was posing, some did not at all want to dwell on that as a subject...
Now you all seem to be awakened with this... so maybe somehow I was awakening some of you?? The Annie story and the movie does awake us, to pro-gay and/or anti-gay as issues?? Previously, some on Bettermost even told me off when I was using the gay word or gay subjects issues!!

Regarding the W.C. Harris essay, I did not hear nor read it!! I used so far my own brains to analyse the book and movie!! And continue that way... for now.

Harris might be right!! ?? The 2 or more movies I saw on TV, recent ones during the week plus many others this year, Hollywood (other studios too) killed all the gay charators!! It was also meant to become to detest a gay charator!! So you wonder why gay men are murdered in to-day's democratic societies?? The movies tell the general population that we, gay men, are bad!! Unfortunate!!

I am still thinking as to why and how Annie did her book, and why and how the producers and the script writers plus the director did the movie!! All could have done much better, instead of being so negative against gay men, I feel and see!! Guess many of you will now be angry at me again for daring to say that??

Was LOVE in a way, the only Hollywood film which was a bit pro-gay?? Anyone seen that movie?? Or was it also a bit anti-gay too??

Famous people can help gays, surely. Inspire us gay men to be gay men!! At least, Jake did try by dressing up with a dress and sing on YouTube thanking us gay men for helping him by seeing the BM movie?? Is Jake G. straight??

Anyway, Harris has maybe a subject that needs to be examined?? !!

Hugs!! May found memories about Ennis and Jake continue in 2007 and 2008 and be wonderful gay ones!! Full of caring and hugs!!

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2008, 04:25:45 pm »

The problem I, personally, have with the idea that "the story" of Brokeback Mountain--whether "the story" of the short story or "the story" of the film--is not universal is that I see themes in both the story and the film of opportunities missed, chances not taken out of fear--as not distinctively gay themes. They are human themes.

As for Annie Proulx killing off Jack, I'm glad I'm not the only one to notice that "Brokeback Mountain" can be seen as falling into the old stereotype that if you're gay, you either wind up dead (Jack) or alone and miserable (Ennis). I noticed that as far back as 1997, and it always makes me uncomfortable to think about that.

But as for why Annie killed off Jack, well, a story has to have an end. And I would disagree that Ennis's "emotional and erotic isolation ... is complete" when he still has Jack coming up from Texas once or twice a year. The film gives us a crack in the emotional isolation as he agrees to attend his daughter's wedding. We don't see this in the short story, and I don't see Ennis in the story as having that isolation "complete" until Jack is dead.

I am going to try to separate Harris's and my analysis of the film on the one hand, and the short story on the other. This is sometimes difficult, but when we fail to distinguish between the two, it can lead to a muddled analysis as the film makes some significant departures from the short story.

There are two major themes of the Harris article which I would like to continue to address - he certainly discusses much more, and I am open to any follow up on those other grounds as well. 

1) the anti-gay aspects of the Proulx story and subsequent screenplay as evidenced in among other things the unnecessary killing off of Jack,

2) the heteronorming of the film thru the screen play and the heteronorming marketing of the film.

In his essay Harris questions why it was necessary for Proulx to kill off Jack. Ennis had become emotionally and physically isolated. Does anyone think that Jack would have continued to make trips up to visit Ennis after their last encounter in 1983? Remember what OMT had to say about Jack divorcing his wife and moving up to WY with a ranch neighbor. Does anyone not believe that Jack had given up on Ennis? What other purpose would the drowsy flashback have? Jack was remembering and regretting what never could have worked out between Ennis and himself. In my opinion, Jack was finished with Ennis. Ennis was isolated and alone, there was no reason to allow Jack to be murdered in order to make Ennis a "widow", he already was one emotionally. Doesn't Proulx's decision to kill off Jack fall into an "anti-Gay" stereotype? Could mainstream readers of the short story have stomached anything else?

This segues directly into the film, as Mendelsohn and his excellent article "An Affair to Remember" opines, why was it necessary to heteronorm the boys? Heteronorming occurs in both the screenplay and the pre-release marketing of the film. Look at the advertising of the movie.  Why was it necessary to show the family lives of Jack and Ennis in the completeness in which it was shown? Perhaps heteronorming the story and the marketing made it more plausible as a "universal love story". And I can't escape the conclusion that heteronorming the lives of the boys made them more sympathetic in the eyes of straight viewers, who are the overwhelming majority of ticket buyers.

Quoting Mendelsohn, "For to see 'Brokeback Mountain' as a love story, or even as a film about human emotions, is to misconstrue it very seriously - and in so doing inevitably to diminish its real achievement."

In all fairness to Focus Features, Schamus replied, with "Brokeback Mountain: An Exchange", to the charge in an excellent letter to Mendelsohn which can also be accessed along with Mendelsohn's article.  (see my first post- I think I paid $3.00 for the full download)

Quoting from Harris, "Ang Lee delivered a sad film, but one which is finally all the sadder for its eliciting pity rather than empathy, tears rather than anger. On some level, empathy is what a film about gay life can never elicit from a straight audience. As media contretemps over dubbing Brokeback 'the gay cowboy movie' have shown, the resonances produced by a slippery text risk undermining, if not overwhelming, its potential as a gay-positive polemic."

"The real achievement of "Brokeback Mountain' is not that it tells a universal love story that happens to have gay characters in it, but that is tells a distinctively gay story that happens to be so well told that any feeling person can be moved by it. If you insist, as so many have, that the story of Jack and Ennis is OK to watch and sympathize with because they're not really homosexual - that they're more like the heart of America than like 'gay people' - you're pushing them back into the closet whose narrow and suffocating confines Ang lee and his collaborators have so beautifully and harrowingly exposed"

See Roger Ebert's review of the movie if you doubt this tendency on the part of many.

Offline brokeplex

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • LCARS
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2008, 04:37:03 pm »
Brokeplex, you do bring up an interesting thread, be it negative (or not) as this subject is: anti-gay!

Harris might be right!! ?? The 2 or more movies I saw on TV, recent ones during the week plus many others this year, Hollywood (other studios too) killed all the gay charators!! It was also meant to become to detest a gay charator!! So you wonder why gay men are murdered in to-day's democratic societies?? The movies tell the general population that we, gay men, are bad!! Unfortunate!!

I am still thinking as to why and how Annie did her book, and why and how the producers and the script writers plus the director did the movie!! All could have done much better, instead of being so negative against gay men, I feel and see!! Guess many of you will now be angry at me again for daring to say that??

yes, Artiste you first brought the anti-gay aspects of the film to our attention. I have only recently discovered this scholarly essay which tends to substantiate some of your earlies posts on another thread. I would like to keep this thread here rather than moving it, as I would also be open to analysis of the other essays in "Reading Brokeback Mountain".

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2008, 05:28:03 pm »
In his essay Harris questions why it was necessary for Proulx to kill off Jack. Ennis had become emotionally and physically isolated. Does anyone think that Jack would have continued to make trips up to visit Ennis after their last encounter in 1983? Remember what OMT had to say about Jack divorcing his wife and moving up to WY with a ranch neighbor. Does anyone not believe that Jack had given up on Ennis? What other purpose would the drowsy flashback have? Jack was remembering and regretting what never could have worked out between Ennis and himself. In my opinion, Jack was finished with Ennis. Ennis was isolated and alone, there was no reason to allow Jack to be murdered in order to make Ennis a "widow", he already was one emotionally. Doesn't Proulx's decision to kill off Jack fall into an "anti-Gay" stereotype? Could mainstream readers of the short story have stomached anything else?

But what are we discussing here, the story or the film? Since 1983 is given as the year, I presume the story is intended, and, yes, I do believe Jack would have continued to make those trips to Wyoming, because in addition to what John Twist tells Ennis about the "ranch neighbor," Annie also tells us that after the blow-up in the parking lot at the trail head, Ennis and Jack more or less "torqued it" back to where it had been before the confrontation: Essentially, nothing changed. Consider, too, John Twist's comment about Jack's plans never coming to fruition: Should we necessarily assume Jack would actually have followed through on divorcing his wife? Should we assume, on the basis of John Twist's comment, that the "ranch neighbor" would actually have been willing to move to Lightning Flat with Jack?

Ultimately the reason Jack had to die has little to do with making Ennis a widow, or anything like that. A long, long time ago, somewhere, maybe even back at IMDb (meaning it's lost), I wrote that "Brokeback Mountain" reads like a story being told orally. There's a mythic or legendary or folk-tale quality to the way the story is told. Since Ennis fears ending up like Earl--murdered--the nature of the form of the story requires that somebody ends up dead at the end, and since the story is basically told from Ennis's perspective, that somebody has to be Jack. Annie's artistry lies in the ambiguity of whether Jack's death was really an accident, as described by his wife, or murder, as envisioned by Ennis.

As to the question of whether "mainstream readers" could have "stomached" another ending than Jack's death, I say, "Yes." Remember where the story first appeared in print, in The New Yorker. By and large readers of The New Yorker are a pretty sophisticated and liberal bunch. Annie did not have to kill off Jack in order to make her story acceptable to those readers.

This segues directly into the film, as Mendelsohn and his excellent article "An Affair to Remember" opines, why was it necessary to heteronorm the boys? Heteronorming occurs in both the screenplay and the pre-release marketing of the film. Look at the advertising of the movie.  Why was it necessary to show the family lives of Jack and Ennis in the completeness in which it was shown? Perhaps heteronorming the story and the marketing made it more plausible as a "universal love story". And I can't escape the conclusion that heteronorming the lives of the boys made them more sympathetic in the eyes of straight viewers, who are the overwhelming majority of ticket buyers.

I don't believe the film "heteronormed" Ennis and Jack any more than they were already, in Annie's story--except perhaps in the sense that the screenplay opens things up so that we get a more balanced view of both their lives than we get in the story, which is mainly from Ennis's viewpoint (e.g., the Twist Thanksgiving sequence is a product of the screenwriters, the Ennis-and-Alma Thanksgiving scene comes directly from Annie Proulx). Perhaps what the writer feels was "heteronorming," maybe something like showing the argument between Ennis and Alma as Alma storms off to her job, is simply what was necessary to translate what was in Annie's story to the medium of film.

Quoting Mendelsohn, "For to see 'Brokeback Mountain' as a love story, or even as a film about human emotions, is to misconstrue it very seriously - and in so doing inevitably to diminish its real achievement."

I'm sorry, but from where I sit, this is just wrong. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.  ;)

I can't believe that anyone who has read Annie Proulx's essay, "Getting Movied," can possibly seriously believe that the story was in any way intended as an anti-gay polemic.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline SFEnnisSF

• BBM Radio Program Director
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2008, 05:42:26 pm »

"Brokeback is an irreducibly ambivalent work. From one angle, it reads as an antihomophobic polemic against the deforming and stunting impact of homophobia. Yet it takes minimal effort to see "Brokeback's" potential to serve also as an anti-gay polemic, a cautionary tale about homosexuality not homophobia."

I have to agree with this.  Perhaps the movie was a little too ambiguous for its own good?  I remember feeling frustration over this specific point.  It's one of the reasons I sought out the message boards...without them, I would have been completely lost...

Offline Artiste

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 05:47:01 pm »
Thanks brokeplex, and thanks Jeff Wrangler!!

Brokeplex, I am glad that you mention about my previous thread: that about the BM movie being maybe anti-gay, as an discussion!! Be assured that I am also happy that you have this here too!! Negatives in life are nescessary it seems obvious, unfortunately!! Anyway, the anti-gay aspect of the movie need to be talked about and developed to see how much of it can be viewed that way!!

Jeff, are you saying that about the BM the movie a viewer can possibly seriously believe that the story was in any way intended as an anti-gay polemic...
or not??

Maybe the BM movie is a mask for anti-gay issues? Dare I ask!! ?? Much can be said... yes??

Hugs, hugs!! Happy New Year for desired gay joys for gay men and all others on Earth bringing peace to all too!!