Author Topic: TOTW 01/08: Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?  (Read 86306 times)

pnwDUDE

Re: TOTW 01/08: Do you think Jack was murdered or was it an accident?
« Reply #200 on: January 16, 2008, 06:26:25 am »
Thanks everyone for your nice words (and yes Gary, I do remember and appreciate your welcome here).

Brad (doing my part on a daily basis)

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #201 on: January 16, 2008, 06:33:02 am »
We are not supposed to actually KNOW how Jack died. Annie has said on numerous occasions that---as with so much in the entire story--she wants the reader to come to his or her own conclusions.

We are meant to think, to flesh out the bare bones of what she tells us from our own experience. For some, an accident is more tragic, for others the essence of Brokeback Mountain's tragic finale lies in the murder of Jack Twist.

It depends upon who and what WE are.

Me, I believe he was killed. I actually said that to Annie Proulx one day, and she asked ME what I had learned, asked ME how that conclusion had affected ME, asked ME how my perception of Jack's death as a murder  had changed ME.

There is no right or wrong answer here.

See what I mean about making us think??

The answer lies within each of us. That is one reason her story is so brilliant.
"I couldn't stand it no more so i fixed it"

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #202 on: January 16, 2008, 06:36:09 am »
Artiste, you sure seem to hate Lureen.  Why?

Some people hate that woman. I don't. I think she is a pretty decent person, ravaged by years with a man who could not love her the way she needed to be loved.

Describing Jack's 'accidental death' to Ennis, realising during that telephone call exactly whom and what Ennis had been to her husband, her mask slipped. She could have been a vicious virago to Ennis...instead she was remarkably generous.

Her tragedy is the tragedy of Brokeback Mountain, which destroyed everyone involved.

Offline brokebackjack

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #203 on: January 16, 2008, 06:42:39 am »
Yeah, she's a nice lady.

pnwDUDE

« Reply #204 on: January 16, 2008, 06:47:13 am »
It is not fair to hate Lureen. It was clear to me she didn't know Ennis and Jack had anything going until the telephone conversation with Ennis, then the pieces to the puzzle fell in place. Perhaps more pieces than that of Jacks relationship with Ennis. Who knows.
Lureen thought she met the man of her dreams. Despite her overbearing father, I think she loved Jack (being proud of Jack after dressing down her father at Thanksgiving). No, there is no blame here on Lureen. Even if she knew he was queer, she was the one to get hurt. I can kinda see this, cause I was married to a pretty little gal who could have very well been Lureen. It was me, not her, that was the problem, and I will carry a certain amount of guilt with me to the day I die.

Brad

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #205 on: January 16, 2008, 09:46:54 am »
It is not fair to hate Lureen. It was clear to me she didn't know Ennis and Jack had anything going until the telephone conversation with Ennis, then the pieces to the puzzle fell in place. Perhaps more pieces than that of Jacks relationship with Ennis. Who knows.

I agree with you about Lureen. And I love watching Anne Hathaway's reactions in the Thanksgiving scene.
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline serious crayons

« Reply #206 on: January 16, 2008, 10:34:56 am »
I agree. I'm always a little surprised by hatred for Lureen. What did she do that was so wrong?

So she went after Jack, then was "in a hurry" in the car. People who point to that seem to be objecting to women who are sexually and romantically assertive.

Then, when Jack didn't prove to be the husband she'd hoped for, she threw herself into her work as a distraction. People who point to that seem to be objecting to women who are committed to their careers.

Some people point to the fact that she didn't call Bobby's teacher. They seem to be expecting the mother to be in charge of the child care, even though she probably also spends more time at work. Or perhaps they just blame her for forgetting to make the call. If they fault a busy working mother for occasionally letting something slip through the cracks, they're pretty much faulting every mother.

And some people actually blame Lureen for not being a good wife to Jack, or not being there for him when he "needed" her. When did he ever need her? And where was he when SHE needed HIM?

Offline Artiste

« Reply #207 on: January 16, 2008, 12:57:01 pm »
Thanks all of you!!

To all too, please answer my puzzle... p.l.e.a.s.e.

Brad you say: It is not fair to hate Lureen. It was clear to me she didn't know Ennis and Jack had anything going until the telephone conversation with Ennis, then the pieces to the puzzle fell in place. Perhaps more pieces than that of Jacks relationship with Ennis. Who knows.
Lureen thought she met the man of her dreams. Despite her overbearing father, I think she loved Jack (being proud of Jack after dressing down her father at Thanksgiving). No, there is no blame here on Lureen. Even if she knew he was queer, she was the one to get hurt. I can kinda see this, cause I was married to a pretty little gal who could have very well been Lureen. It was me, not her, that was the problem, and I will carry a certain amount of guilt with me to the day I die.

Brad

Brad and to all: I do not think that anybodyhates Lureen. We are puzzled by her, at least I am. By her actions, and pleased by some of them like you mentioned. Why did she marry so quickly - that sex scene (so quickly taking her clothers off) and the bar one - you wanting for a mating call are puzzling, right?? Were Lureen and Jack engaged for one year?? It certainly seems not!! Maybe for only one week or less- may I dare?- and I wonder now if Jack parents, therefore, were even invited by Lureen's parents or by Lureen, yes her??

It could very well be that that after sex with Jack, she married him the same day or the next day??-And not even invited her parents nor his, since both Jack and Lureen are away on rodeo circuit??

Too, Lurren knew of Jack's murder... I say. Tell me detective Brad? And all of you are too like detectives you are on Bettermost?? !! Tell... me!!

Hugs!! May all Ennis' and Jacks and gays be safe in the whole world!!

Offline Jeff Wrangler

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • "He somebody you cowboy'd with?"
« Reply #208 on: January 16, 2008, 02:46:46 pm »
I agree. I'm always a little surprised by hatred for Lureen. What did she do that was so wrong?

Some people point to the fact that she didn't call Bobby's teacher. They seem to be expecting the mother to be in charge of the child care, even though she probably also spends more time at work. Or perhaps they just blame her for forgetting to make the call. If they fault a busy working mother for occasionally letting something slip through the cracks, they're pretty much faulting every mother.

I think she actually comes off rather better in the film than in the story. In the film she doesn't seem to disagree that Bobby needs extra help with his schoolwork, she just forgot to call the school. In the story Jack makes it sound like she willfully blinds herself to their son's problems--and he can't do anything about it because she controls the money--the pursestrings (and maybe thereby "wears the pants in the family?").
"It is required of every man that the spirit within him should walk abroad among his fellow-men, and travel far and wide."--Charles Dickens.

Offline Artiste

« Reply #209 on: January 16, 2008, 03:26:59 pm »
Thanks Jeff, and thanks ineedcrayons, and thanks to all others!!

Jeff (and to all too), you seem to say that Lureen keeps herself busy mainly making money ( or trying to do that purse ). Why is she so in the film, - lless interested in her own life, her son's and Jack's who is her husband??

Is she only interested in money? Or mostly so? As an over-worked that way at her desk, adding figures, numbers, etc., as an accountant was it?

Oh may I wonder  too how her relationship with her mother is, especially after her marriage to Jack (till his death or faith)?? I add the word faith since I think that maybe Jack is still alive... somehow.

I think that Lureen knows that Jack was murdered (or it was attempted murder) by someone, likely by more than one.

Awaiting your news from you and from all,

hugs!!  May all persons on Earth be safe, including gays, and happy too!!