Author Topic: Heath Ledger - News Accounts  (Read 1142284 times)

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
Heath Ledger - News Accounts
« on: January 22, 2008, 06:10:24 pm »
Google Newswire - Sorted By Latest Breaking Developments
(This link will give you the latest developments from thousands of news sources.)

Police: May be a drug-related death 
Entertainment News
WABC-TV

NEW YORK -- Actor Heath Ledger is dead. Eyewitness News has learned his body was found Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence in what authorities say is a possible drug-related death. He was 28 years old.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne says Ledger's death was discovered when a housekeeper went into his apartment just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The housekeeper was going to let him know his masseuse had arrived for an appointment, and authorities say that's when his body was found.

Eyewitness News is told sleeping pills were found around Ledger's body.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and have a daughter, Matilda. They split up last year.

Ledger's roles include the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball" and had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot."

The news came as Ledger was on a roll in his career. He was to star as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He recently was one of the people to portray Bob Dylan in the film, "I'm Not There," which has been nominated for an Oscar.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 07:46:37 am by Ellemeno »
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming

Offline Luvlylittlewing

• BetterMost 1000+ Posts Club
Re: Heath Ledger Dead - News Accounts
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 06:17:40 pm »
Police: May be a drug-related death 
Entertainment News
WABC-TV

NEW YORK -- Actor Heath Ledger is dead. Eyewitness News has learned his body was found Tuesday at a downtown Manhattan residence in what authorities say is a possible drug-related death. He was 28 years old.

NYPD spokesman Paul Browne says Ledger's death was discovered when a housekeeper went into his apartment just before 3:30 p.m. Tuesday.

The housekeeper was going to let him know his masseuse had arrived for an appointment, and authorities say that's when his body was found.

Eyewitness News is told sleeping pills were found around Ledger's body.

The Australian-born actor was nominated for an Oscar for "Brokeback Mountain," where he met his wife, actress Michelle Williams, in 2005. Ledger and Williams had lived in Brooklyn and have a daughter, Matilda. They split up last year.

Ledger's roles include the suicidal son of Billy Bob Thornton in "Monster's Ball" and had starring roles in "A Knight's Tale" and "The Patriot."

The news came as Ledger was on a roll in his career. He was to star as the Joker this year in "The Dark Night," a sequel to 2005's "Batman Begins." He recently was one of the people to portray Bob Dylan in the film, "I'm Not There," which has been nominated for an Oscar.

My God!  I hate this!  So young, and talented and beautiful.  RIP Heath.  We'll miss you.

Offline Amber

• Brokeback Mountain Resident
  • Whiskey anyone?
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 06:21:46 pm »
Completely unbelievable.  I haven't been here for awhile, but when I heard this news ... this was the first place I thought of.

So sad.
"... and Ennis, not big on endearments, said what he said to his horses and daughters, little darlin." ~Proulx

"Life is not a succession of urgents nows; it is a listless trickle of why-should-I's."  Johnny Depp as the Second Earl of Rochester.

Offline TheravadaAskesis

• Sr. Ranch Hand
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 06:29:53 pm »

Just an absolute shock. Words fail me.  :'(

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • The BetterMost 10,000 Post Club
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 06:32:33 pm »
They've updated the story at the New York Times:

Actor Heath Ledger Is Found Dead

By Sewell Chan

Updated, 5:28 p.m. | The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment in Manhattan inhabited by the actress Mary-Kate Olsen, according to the New York City police. Signs pointed to a suicide, police sources said. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived at Apartment 5A in the building, at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of the bedroom Mr. Ledger was in. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger naked and unconscious on a bed, with pills scattered around his body. They shook him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities.

The police said they did not suspect foul play. Officials said they believed Ms. Olsen, 21, was in California and said it was not clear how long or why Mr. Ledger had been in her apartment.

Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain” (2005). The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.”

Mr. Ledger met the actress Michelle Williams while filming ‘’Brokeback Mountain.” The two actors fell into a romance and moved to Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, where their comings and goings were widely noted by paparazzi. They had a daughter, Matilda Rose, who was born on Oct. 28, 2005. The couple separated last year.

In an interview in London for an article published in November, Mr. Ledger told The New York Times, ‘’I feel like I’m wasting time if I repeat myself.” He said in the interview that he was not proud of his latest role, in Todd Haynes’s “I’m Not There,” in which Mr. Ledger was one of a half-dozen actors depicting the musician Bob Dylan. ‘’I feel the same way about everything I do. The day I say, ‘It’s good’ is the day I should start doing something else,” said in the interview.

Calls by The Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

Thomas J. Lueck contributed reporting.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline shortfiction

• BetterMost Supporter!
  • Brokeback Got Me Good
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 06:46:31 pm »
I am in shock.
"This is the most uncomfortable coffin I've ever been in!"

Offline Anya_Angie

• Sr. Ranch Hand
  • Figure skating is not figure jumping! - Ilia Kulik
    • Balletic Tzar
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 07:01:30 pm »
Words cannot express how I feel right now... It's been a long time, I admit, since I've been here. It's not because I've lost interest or anything, far from it. I suppose I'm not just as expressive as I used to be. I have been meaning to visit the past week but always seemed to lose track of time...

Well I have to say it's awful that this tragedy would be my spur to come back. I really wish that it were something more joyous. RIP Heath, you will absolutely be missed. My condolences to Heath's family and loved ones...

It's awful, just awful. The world is such an unfair place.
You can tell the sun in his jealous sky when we walked in fields of gold...

Offline MaineWriter

• Bettermost Supporter!
  • BetterMost Moderator
  • Stay the course...
    • Bristlecone Pine Press
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2008, 07:04:12 pm »
They've updated the New York Times report, again:

January 22, 2008,  4:42 pm
Heath Ledger, Actor, Is Found Dead at 28

By Sewell Chan

Updated, 5:51 p.m. | The actor Heath Ledger was found dead this afternoon in an apartment in Manhattan, according to the New York City police. Signs pointed to a suicide or an accidental overdose, police sources said. Mr. Ledger was 28.

At 3:31 p.m., a masseuse arrived the fourth-floor apartment of the building, at 421 Broome Street in SoHo, for an appointment with Mr. Ledger, the police said. The masseuse was let in to the home by a housekeeper, who then knocked on the door of the bedroom Mr. Ledger was in. When no one answered, the housekeeper and the masseuse opened the bedroom and found Mr. Ledger naked and unconscious on a bed, with pills scattered around his body. They moved his body to the floor and attempted to revive him, but he did not respond. They immediately called the authorities.

The police said they did not suspect foul play. Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the office of the city’s chief medical examiner, Dr. Charles S. Hirsch, said that employees of the office were at the apartment and that an autopsy would be conducted on Wednesday.

Police officials have said that the apartment was owned by the actress Mary-Kate Olsen,
Officials said they believed Ms. Olsen, 21, was in California and that Mr. Ledger had been living in her apartment. Ms. Olsen attended the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah, for the premiere of “The Wackness,” a film in which she stars with the actor Ben Kingsley. It was not clear where she went after the film screening. A representative of Ms. Olsen said this afternoon that the apartment did not belong to the actress.

Mr. Ledger, a native of Perth, Australia, won acclaim for his role as a co-star in “Brokeback Mountain” (2005). The film, based on a short story by Annie Proulx about two cowboys who fall in love, won critical acclaim. Reviewing the film in The New York Times, the critic Stephen Holden wrote, “Mr. Ledger magically and mysteriously disappears beneath the skin of his lean, sinewy character. It is a great screen performance, as good as the best of Marlon Brando and Sean Penn.” Mr. Ledger was nominated for an Oscar for Best Actor in January 2006.

Mr. Ledger met the actress Michelle Williams while filming ‘’Brokeback Mountain.” The two actors fell into a romance and moved to Boerum Hill, Brooklyn, where their comings and goings were widely noted by the celebrity press. They had a daughter, Matilda Rose, who was born on Oct. 28, 2005. The couple separated last year.

Mr. Ledger’s first Hollywood film was the teenage romantic comedy “10 Things I Hate About You” (1999). He later appeared in romantic-hero roles in films like “A Knight’s Tale” (2001) and “Casanova” (2005).

Mr. Ledger was also cast as The Joker in the latest Batman installment, “The Dark Knight,” set to be released this summer.

In an interview in London for an article published in November, Mr. Ledger told The New York Times, ‘’I feel like I’m wasting time if I repeat myself.” He said in the interview that he was not proud of his latest role, in Todd Haynes’s “I’m Not There,” in which Mr. Ledger was one of a half-dozen actors depicting the musician Bob Dylan. ‘’I feel the same way about everything I do. The day I say, ‘It’s good’ is the day I should start doing something else,” said in the interview.

As news of Mr. Ledger’s death made its way across the Internet, the Police Department issued a fairly terse summary of the death: “ON TUESDAY, 01/22/08, AT APPROXIMATELY 1530 HOURS, IN THE CONFINES OF THE 5 PRECINCT, POLICE RESPONDED TO 421 BROOME STREET AND FOUND A M/W/28 UNCONSCIOUS. THE VICTIM WAS PRONOUNCED DOA AT THE SCENE. M.E.’S OFFICE TO DETERMINE THE CAUSE OF DEATH. INVESTIGATION CONTINUES.”

Calls by The Times to Mara Buxbaum, a publicist for Mr. Ledger, and Steve Alexander, the actor’s agent, were not immediately returned this afternoon.

Thomas J. Lueck and John Sullivan contributed reporting.
Taming Groomzilla<-- support equality for same-sex marriage in Maine by clicking this link!

Offline Artiste

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2008, 07:10:53 pm »
Such dire news of Heath's passing.

I felt something... I feel that he acted as he wanted and wants... and was sad!!

Condolences to all Heath's family and to all ... everywhere on Earth and in Heaven!!

Hugs to all and to you too Heath!!

Offline Phillip Dampier

• Mayor - BetterMost, Wyoming
  • Town Administration
  • BetterMost 5000+ Posts Club
    • BetterMost
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 07:10:56 pm »
Latest update from CNN:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Actor Heath Ledger was found dead Tuesday of a possible drug overdose in a Lower Manhattan apartment, the New York Police Department said.

Heath Ledger was found dead in a Manhattan apartment.

The Academy Award nominated actor was 28.

"Pills were found in the vicinity of the bed," police spokesman Paul Browne told CNN.

"This is being looked at as a possible overdose, but that is not confirmed yet."

The pills appeared to be over-the-counter sleeping medication, said police spokeswoman Barbara Chen.

Ledger was unresponsive when he was found by a housekeeper who had gone to wake him for an appointment with a masseuse in the Soho apartment, Browne said.

The apartment is owned by the actress Mary-Kate Olsen, The New York Times reported.

Ledger was declared dead at about 3:30 p.m., Browne said.

In 2005, the actor played Ennis Del Mar in "Brokeback Mountain," about two cowboys who had a secret relationship.

The role earned him the Oscar nomination.

Ledger was born in Perth, Australia. He has a young daughter with actress Michelle Williams, his co-star in "Brokeback Mountain."

"He was just so respected in the industry," said Kim Serafin, senior editor of In Touch Weekly.

"It's just horribly tragic. He was just a fine actor and a good person, so this is horribly sad and very unexpected."

Showbiz Tonight will have a special report on this tonight on Headline News at 11pm ET.
You're a part of our family - BetterMost, Wyoming